London Banter

-   -   Oyster prepay validity (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2930-oyster-prepay-validity.html)

Matthew Dickinson April 7th 05 02:29 AM

Oyster prepay validity

This is a rewrite of the rules for using Oyster Prepay on National
Rail within the TfL area to show where it can't be used:

Chiltern Railways
---------------------
At Wembley Stadium, Sudbury & Harrow Road, Sudbury Hill Harrow and
Northolt Park.

Between South Ruislip and London Paddington

C2C
-----
Between Barking and Rainham.

First Great Western
------------------------
At London Paddington (Does not stop in the TfL area)

First Great Western Link
------------------------------
Between London Paddington and Greenford or West Drayton.

Gatwick Express
-------------------
At London Victoria (Does not stop in the TfL area)

GNER
-------
At London Kings Cross (Does not stop in the TfL area)

Heathrow Express
---------------------
Between London Paddington and Heathrow Central.

Midland Main Line
----------------------
At London St. Pancras. (Does not stop in the TfL area)

'one' Railway
---------------
At Bethnal Green, Cambridge Heath, London Fields, Hackney Downs,
Rectory Road, Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill, Clapton and Walthamstow
St James Street.

Between Seven Sisters and Enfield Town or Turkey Street.

Between Tottenham Hale and Enfield Lock.

Between Stratford and Upminster or Harold Wood

Scotrail
--------
At London Euston. (Does not stop in the TfL area)

Silverlink
-----------
At South Hampstead and Kilburn High Road.

Between Harrow & Wealdstone and Hatch End.

Between Gunnersbury and Stratford.

Between Canning Town and North Woolwich.

Between Gospel Oak and Barking.

Between Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction.

Southern
----------
Between Wembley Central or Victoria or Charing Cross and Cheam,
Belmont, Woodmansterne, Coulsdon South, Kenley, Riddlesdown or
Beckenham Junction.

South Eastern Trains
-------------------------
Between Victoria, Charing Cross, Elephant and Castle, or Cannon Street
and Coulsdon South, Hayes, Bromley North, Knockholt, St. Mary Cray,
Crayford, Barnehurst or Slade Green.

South West Trains
-----------------------
Between Waterloo and Feltham, Hampton, Hampton Court, Surbiton,
Chessington South or Stoneleigh.

Thameslink
-------------
Between Elstree & Borehamwood and Kentish Town.

Between Elephant & Castle and Sutton

Between London Bridge & East Croydon

WAGN
-------
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Virgin Trains
---------------
Between Kensington Olympia and East Croydon.

At London Euston (Does not stop in the TfL area).

dwb April 7th 05 10:16 AM

Oyster prepay validity

Matthew Dickinson wrote:

First Great Western Link
------------------------------
Between London Paddington and Greenford or West Drayton.

Shouldn't that be 'stations past Greenford or West Drayton'?

Otherwise isn't it saying it's not valid at all? :)

Bob Adams April 7th 05 10:16 AM

Oyster prepay validity

In message , Matthew
Dickinson writes

WAGN
-------
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Why not? There are plenty of stops within TfL between Finsbury Park and
Hadley Wood. Hadley Wood and beyond would be understandable but not
before it.

Methinks this is a typo.

Bob.
--
Bob Adams - email address:

Rupert Candy April 7th 05 11:43 AM

Oyster prepay validity

Bob Adams wrote:
In message , Matthew
Dickinson writes

WAGN
-------
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Why not? There are plenty of stops within TfL between Finsbury Park

and
Hadley Wood. Hadley Wood and beyond would be understandable but not
before it.

Yes, but Oyster *prepay* is not valid at any of those stations. (IIRC
the only place it's valid on [WA]GN is between Moorgate and Finsbury
Park.) Ditto to the previous post - the list is of stations and routes
where Prepay is *not* valid, which (as you suggest) includes all routes
and stations out of Paddington.

I admit it took me a while to realise that as well...

Clive D. W. Feather April 7th 05 12:01 PM

Oyster prepay validity

In article , Bob Adams
writes
WAGN
-------
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Why not?

Because there are no Oyster readers.

There are plenty of stops within TfL between Finsbury Park and
Hadley Wood. Hadley Wood and beyond would be understandable but not
before it.

Methinks this is a typo.

Methinks you've misunderstood.

Oyster Prepay is valid for public transport within the TfL zone (which
in this direction ends at Hadley Wood and Crews Hill) *EXCEPT* for those
places where the operators don't provide oysterpads. On WAGN that's
everywhere north of Finsbury Park.

Similar for the other comments.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

[email protected] April 7th 05 12:43 PM

Oyster prepay validity

Rupert Candy wrote:

Yes, but Oyster *prepay* is not valid at any of those stations. (IIRC
the only place it's valid on [WA]GN is between Moorgate and Finsbury

And Kings Cross - Finsbury park

asdf April 7th 05 02:04 PM

Oyster prepay validity

WAGN
-------
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Why not?

Because there are no Oyster readers.

That's not the only reason. For example, there are Oyster readers at
Willesden Junction and at Gunnersbury, but even so, pre-pay isn't
valid on Silverlink between the two (despite the fact that TfL zonal
tickets are valid on the NLL, and ticket inspectors on the trains need
hand-held Oyster readers anyway because travelcard-on-Oyster is
valid).

Bob Adams April 7th 05 03:23 PM

Oyster prepay validity

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Bob Adams
writes
WAGN
-------
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Why not?

Because there are no Oyster readers.

The WAGN grippers carry them and I have seen with my own eyes that they
accept them as valid to stations as far as New Barnet.

Methinks you've misunderstood.

Anything concocted by TfL and WAGN - I usually do.

Bob.
--
Bob Adams - email address:

Matthew Dickinson April 7th 05 04:03 PM

Oyster prepay validity

"dwb" wrote in message ...
Matthew Dickinson wrote:

First Great Western Link
------------------------------
Between London Paddington and Greenford or West Drayton.

Shouldn't that be 'stations past Greenford or West Drayton'?

Otherwise isn't it saying it's not valid at all? :)

I am trying to say that it's not valid at all on FGWL...

Dave Liney April 7th 05 04:26 PM

Oyster prepay validity

"Bob Adams" wrote in message
In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Bob Adams
writes
WAGN
-------
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Why not?

Because there are no Oyster readers.

The WAGN grippers carry them and I have seen with my own eyes that they
accept them as valid to stations as far as New Barnet.

They accept prepay? Are you sure you're not just seeing Oyster season
tickets being validated.

Dave

[email protected] April 7th 05 04:28 PM

Oyster prepay validity

Bob Adams wrote:
Because there are no Oyster readers.

The WAGN grippers carry them and I have seen with my own eyes that

they
accept them as valid to stations as far as New Barnet.

That would be a season ticket on Oyster which is valid everywhere a
paper season ticket is. Prepay is a different matter because it
requires pads which read and write at the begining and end of the
journey (in order to charge and record the journey).

--
Chris

Clive D. W. Feather April 7th 05 04:53 PM

Oyster prepay validity

In article , Bob Adams
writes
Why not?

Because there are no Oyster readers.

The WAGN grippers carry them

Because there are no Oyster readers at the stations.

and I have seen with my own eyes that they
accept them as valid to stations as far as New Barnet.

For prepay? Or with a Travelcard on? They're valid with a Travelcard
that covers the relevant zones on them, because it isn't necessary to
touch in/out unless there's a gate.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Bob Adams April 7th 05 06:44 PM

Oyster prepay validity

In message , Dave Liney
writes
Between Finsbury Park and Hadley Wood or Crews Hill.

Why not?

Because there are no Oyster readers.

The WAGN grippers carry them and I have seen with my own eyes that they
accept them as valid to stations as far as New Barnet.

They accept prepay? Are you sure you're not just seeing Oyster season
tickets being validated.

Maybe - but why did the gripper ask the passenger where he was
alighting?

Bob.

--
Bob Adams - email address:

Clive D. W. Feather April 8th 05 04:54 AM

Oyster prepay validity

In article , Bob Adams
writes
They accept prepay? Are you sure you're not just seeing Oyster season
tickets being validated.

Maybe - but why did the gripper ask the passenger where he was
alighting?

Because the answer will indicate whether the passenger is planning to
stay within the bounds of his travelcard or needs to be holding an
extension.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Bob Adams April 8th 05 01:48 PM

Oyster prepay validity

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Bob Adams
writes
They accept prepay? Are you sure you're not just seeing Oyster season
tickets being validated.

Maybe - but why did the gripper ask the passenger where he was
alighting?

Because the answer will indicate whether the passenger is planning to
stay within the bounds of his travelcard or needs to be holding an
extension.

ROFL!

In over 5 years I've had my WGC to all zones 'paper' travelcard gripped
many a time and I've NEVER been asked if I was travelling beyond what
was on the ticket!

Bob.
--
Bob Adams - email address:

Dave Plumb April 9th 05 01:43 PM

Oyster prepay validity

For prepay? Or with a Travelcard on? They're valid with a Travelcard that
covers the relevant zones on them, because it isn't necessary to touch
in/out unless there's a gate.

Aren't the pads also there to allow oyster season holders to resolve their
journey (and avoid being charged extra on pre-pay), had they continued on
WAGN for example. I have a two-zone Oyster and a season for NR from Finsbury
Park and always touch-out there or at Highbury for just this reason. I
assumed if I change there and didn't touch out it would cause me to be
flagged as a possible fare-dodger or purchaser of two short tickets, or
worse, deduct money from my pre-pay for a journey as far as zone 6.

Having said that the gripper the other morning was going through at Finsbury
Park and accepted my point to point season without query as we pulled out
towards Kings Cross.

Regards,
Dave

[email protected] April 9th 05 06:45 PM

Oyster prepay validity

Dave Plumb wrote:
For prepay? Or with a Travelcard on? They're valid with a

Travelcard that
covers the relevant zones on them, because it isn't necessary to

touch
in/out unless there's a gate.

Aren't the pads also there to allow oyster season holders to resolve

their
journey (and avoid being charged extra on pre-pay), had they

continued on
WAGN for example.

If you have a season ticket it doesn't matter (at the moment). You
only get an unresolved journey if you start your journey outside the
boundary of any travelcard you have and don't end it. Or vice-versa

Dave Plumb April 10th 05 01:42 PM

Oyster prepay validity

journey (and avoid being charged extra on pre-pay), had they
If you have a season ticket it doesn't matter (at the moment). You
only get an unresolved journey if you start your journey outside the
boundary of any travelcard you have and don't end it. Or vice-versa

Ahh ok so on my Z1-2 card if I get in Z3 and don't end it then it gets
confused? The other direction could be common though if you change to NR at
Finsbury Park and don't pad out then it won't know where you got out. That
was the scenario I assumed it would charge you a full journey to Z6 as a
fine for not padding out.

Someone at work has a Z1-4 season and travels in from Oakleigh Park,
changing at Finsbury Park/Highbury, and rarely touched in there or out on
her journey home. She said she never had a problem with it, so maybe it
doesn't fine you.

Regards,
Dave

Robin Mayes April 10th 05 02:41 PM

Oyster prepay validity

"Dave Plumb" wrote in message
[...]

As in the above text:

If you have a season ticket it doesn't matter (at the moment). You
only get an unresolved journey if you start your journey outside the
boundary of any travelcard you have and don't end it. Or vice-versa

So, if you have a Z1-4 season and only touch in / out in Z1&2 the ticket is
perfectly valid.

Rupert Candy April 11th 05 10:13 AM

Oyster prepay validity

Robin Mayes wrote:
"Dave Plumb" wrote in message
Someone at work has a Z1-4 season and travels in from Oakleigh

Park,
changing at Finsbury Park/Highbury, and rarely touched in there or

out on
her journey home. She said she never had a problem with it, so

maybe it
doesn't fine you.

As in the above text:

If you have a season ticket it doesn't matter (at the moment). You
only get an unresolved journey if you start your journey outside the
boundary of any travelcard you have and don't end it. Or vice-versa

So, if you have a Z1-4 season and only touch in / out in Z1&2 the

ticket is
perfectly valid.

And that will have to be the case until *all* NR stations within zone 6
have oyster readers - otherwise I would have an unresolved journey
every day (touch in at Farringdon or London Bridge, can't touch out at
Herne Hill or Gipsy Hill as no oyster readers!) Since NR are totally
uninterested in Oyster, I can't see that happening any time soon.

Dave Arquati April 11th 05 04:59 PM

Oyster prepay validity

Rupert Candy wrote:
Robin Mayes wrote:

"Dave Plumb" wrote in message

[...]

Soon they'll be forced to be interested - once the Railways Bill comes
into effect, TfL will have much more influence over railways within
London, particularly in the fares department - the Bill makes strong
allusions to the rollout of Oyster across the whole GLA area, and makes
a bit of a noise about fares integration too.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Rupert Candy April 11th 05 09:05 PM

Oyster prepay validity

Dave Arquati wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
And that will have to be the case until *all* NR stations within

zone 6
have oyster readers - otherwise I would have an unresolved journey
every day (touch in at Farringdon or London Bridge, can't touch out

at
Herne Hill or Gipsy Hill as no oyster readers!) Since NR are

totally
uninterested in Oyster, I can't see that happening any time soon.

Soon they'll be forced to be interested - once the Railways Bill

comes
into effect, TfL will have much more influence over railways within
London, particularly in the fares department - the Bill makes strong
allusions to the rollout of Oyster across the whole GLA area, and

makes
a bit of a noise about fares integration too.

Dave, you are an eternal fount of knowledge. That is very interesting
indeed - any idea of the timetable for the Bill?

Peter Masson April 11th 05 09:17 PM

Oyster prepay validity

"Rupert Candy" wrote

Dave, you are an eternal fount of knowledge. That is very interesting
indeed - any idea of the timetable for the Bill?

It's now the Railways Act. The dft have published their current thinking on
how they see things working out in London:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...sp#P637_115878

Peter

[email protected] April 11th 05 11:10 PM

Oyster prepay validity

Dave Arquati wrote:
a bit of a noise about fares integration too.

So do we lose the cheap £1.50 SWT cheap day returns in favour of
£4.40 TFL zonal returns then? What about YP railcards?

Dave Arquati April 11th 05 11:54 PM

Oyster prepay validity

wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

a bit of a noise about fares integration too.

So do we lose the cheap £1.50 SWT cheap day returns in favour of
£4.40 TFL zonal returns then? What about YP railcards?

All undecided yet, although TfL aim to apply TfL zonal fares across the
rail network. Whether that means abolishing existing fare structures or
creating some sort of hybrid structure isn't obvious.

Interestingly, from last year, YP Railcards attract a discount on the
TfL portion of through rail-TfL fares when they didn't before (i.e.
before, the NR portion of the ticket was discounted by 1/3 but the TfL
portion wasn't; now, both are discounted by 1/3). That seems like a
progressive policy for YPRs which must have been negotiated between ATOC
and TfL, so I doubt they'd adopt an unfriendly stance towards YPRs.

Personally, I'd like my Oyster to be linked to my YPR so I only get
capped as far as a YP ODTC price... unlikely though. Perhaps I should
see if they'll consider an equivalent reduced cap for TfL Student
photocard holders.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Dave Arquati April 11th 05 11:59 PM

Oyster prepay validity

Rupert Candy wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Rupert Candy wrote:

And that will have to be the case until *all* NR stations within zone 6
have oyster readers - otherwise I would have an unresolved journey
every day (touch in at Farringdon or London Bridge, can't touch out at
Herne Hill or Gipsy Hill as no oyster readers!) Since NR are totally
uninterested in Oyster, I can't see that happening any time soon.

Soon they'll be forced to be interested - once the Railways Bill comes
into effect, TfL will have much more influence over railways within
London, particularly in the fares department - the Bill makes strong
allusions to the rollout of Oyster across the whole GLA area, and makes
a bit of a noise about fares integration too.

Dave, you are an eternal fount of knowledge.

If only that could be said for my degree - then I might stand a chance
of passing my imminent exams...

That is very interesting
indeed - any idea of the timetable for the Bill?

It's been passed, in the rush to get legislation through before
Parliament stopped for the election. It will be enacted progressively
from June onwards, with the aim being that most of it will be in force
by the end of the year. I presume that particular timetable depends on
the outcome of the election...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

[email protected] April 12th 05 09:28 AM

Oyster prepay validity

Dave Arquati wrote:
Personally, I'd like my Oyster to be linked to my YPR so I only get
capped as far as a YP ODTC price... unlikely though. Perhaps I should

see if they'll consider an equivalent reduced cap for TfL Student
photocard holders.

Would make some kind of sense if the YP and student cards could be
combined. It seems daft that on one journey you can end up having to
show five bits of card (season ticket, season ticket student photocard,
outward extension, yp railcard, unused return extension)