Old April 7th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bridge Bash on 10 route??

Earlier on there was a bus being toed on the M25 with a very broken
upper front. Looked like a bridge bash victim.

Bus was showing blinds - route 10 to Euston. Where and when did it get
damaged?

Old April 7th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bonzo wrote:
Earlier on there was a bus being toed on the M25 with a very broken
upper front. Looked like a bridge bash victim.

Bus was showing blinds - route 10 to Euston. Where and when did it get
damaged?

That would be extremely odd - route 10 runs between Hammersmith and
King's Cross, and doesn't pass underneath any bridges on the way.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 8th 05, 04:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Earlier on there was a bus being [towed] on the M25 with a very broken
upper front. ... showing blinds - route 10 to Euston. ...

That would be extremely odd - route 10 runs between Hammersmith and
King's Cross, and doesn't pass underneath any bridges on the way.

When an airliner crashes but isn't totally destroyed, the airline
often tries to paint over their logos before they get shown all over
the news media. Perhaps the driver of this bus felt that he had to
similarly protect his route's reputation, and changed the sign!

(Just kidding... I think...)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It is one thing to praise discipline, and another

Old April 8th 05, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Could be taken to a third party repairer. I remember seeing a batch of
Citaro's for the 25 in a rally of around 4 on the M25 section.

Saw a couple of Stagecoach Tridents from T heading back up the A3 I believe
there is some sort of facility down that neck of the woods.

Old April 8th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:58:23 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

That would be extremely odd - route 10 runs between Hammersmith and
King's Cross, and doesn't pass underneath any bridges on the way.

Yes, but if there were such a bridge on the route wouldn't someone
have noticed that every journey was getting bashed?

Old April 8th 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

That would be extremely odd - route 10 runs between Hammersmith and
King's Cross, and doesn't pass underneath any bridges on the way.

Yes, but if there were such a bridge on the route wouldn't someone
have noticed that every journey was getting bashed?

Good point. That makes it even more odd!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 8th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

That would be extremely odd - route 10 runs between Hammersmith
and King's Cross, and doesn't pass underneath any bridges on the
way.

Yes, but if there were such a bridge on the route wouldn't someone
have noticed that every journey was getting bashed?

Good point. That makes it even more odd!

There's an overhanging roof at the northern end of Hammersmith bus
station. It carries warning signs, and buses pass quite near it as they
go past stop A. I'm not sure what route the number 10 takes around the
bus station, I wonder if that might possibly have caused the damage. If
so, it would be the offside that would have got hit worst.

(Map of the bus station at
http://www.berryscoaches.co.uk/hammersmithmaps.htm )
--
Richard J.

Old April 8th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:43:59 +0100, Bonzo wrote:

Earlier on there was a bus being toed on the M25 with a very broken
upper front. Looked like a bridge bash victim.

Bus was showing blinds - route 10 to Euston. Where and when did it get
damaged?

This is complete supposition but there was a bridge bash near Ladbroke
Grove a few weeks ago. It caused delays to the H&C Tube line - this is
how I heard about it.

A bus was being towed back to its garage and got caught underneath the
bridge as the tow truck driver wrongly estimated the height of the
(raised up) double deck bus. There was a suggestion that the vehicle was
a First LFDD on its way back to Westbourne Park garage. The 10 runs from
Westbourne Park. As I say - a complete guess on my part.
--
Paul C

Old April 8th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There's an overhanging roof at the northern end of Hammersmith bus
station. It carries warning signs, and buses pass quite near it as

they
go past stop A. I'm not sure what route the number 10 takes around

the
bus station, I wonder if that might possibly have caused the damage.

If
so, it would be the offside that would have got hit worst.

IIRC, the buses go around anticlockwise at Hammersmith. The 9 and 10
routes enter from the South, and drop passengers at F, then they
usually park up against the wall opposite stops F and G, which often
involves a full lap of the station. They then pick up at stop H and
exit from the Northern exit. The overhang is opposite stop A IIRC, so
the bus would have been empty if it hit there. The other possibility is
that it was diverted onto an unfamiliar route and the driver missed a
turn somewhere.

Old April 9th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

A bus was being towed back to its garage and got caught underneath the
bridge as the tow truck driver wrongly estimated the height of the
(raised up) double deck bus. There was a suggestion that the vehicle was
a First LFDD on its way back to Westbourne Park garage. The 10 runs from
Westbourne Park. As I say - a complete guess on my part.

Another guess is that it might have hit an overhanging tree branch that
was lower than usual. I've seen roadside notices along some bus routes
warning drivers of low branches.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google