Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 21st 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Questions about road marking

Hello everyone,

I'm a french student, making researchs on the www fo find elements for an
history of road marking (in Paris).

First of all, I'd like to know the leaning of the zigzag lines that can be
seen in many streets in London, also shown on this picture :
http://www.fh-oow.de/fbbug/html/h_a/...road-zebra.jpg

Then, does someone knows when were the first signs "painted" on the roads
(don't know which product it was actually before now). It seems that england
may have done this before France, for what I heard in a french factory
producing various products for raod marking.

Finally, I'd be grateful if some of you could list some keywords of road
marking in english so that it would help me to go on with my researchs in
english and not only in french...

I have this
pedestrian crossing = crosswalk = zebra crossing
(how were the zebra crossing before the age of white lines ? In paris,
"nails" were used until the years 1970s as you can see here
http://www.toddwebbphotographs.com/france/50-32.html )

pavement marking seems to be a US term

Are there specific technical words for the different kind of lines dot
lines, etc...

Are there resources on the www to find the rules used by english road
engineers ? ... There's a governemental site for road safety in France with
the french instructions at
http://www.securiteroutiere.equipeme.../signalisation
/l-instruction-interministerielle-sur-la-signalisat.html

Thanks to those who will be willing to help -and apologizes for the english
mistakes-

Nicolas Delnatte