Old December 7th 03, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A couple of questions on Oystercards

I have a few questions with regards to Oystercards:

1. Is there a good website or hardcopy leaflet that explains
Oystercards in a clear fashion? I've been reading some of the threads
in this group, as well as the official TfL stuff, but I'm still
confused as to precisely how to purchase, maintain and use one. I
haven't needed one yet, since I don't use the Underground regularly,
but that may change in the future and I don't want to be futzing
around with it during peak periods, incurring the wrath of everyone
behind me ;-)

2. I am a full-time university student, and when I discovered that I
could get ahold of a Student Photocard and use that to get discounts,
I acquired one. The problem is, I don't know how to use it! Is there a
place where I can read about how to use a Student Photocard? (This one
is the green variety with the "Student" label and it has an XA prefix,
if that means anything).

Old December 7th 03, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Robin May
writes
(TheOneKEA) wrote the following in:
. com

2. I am a full-time university student, and when I discovered that
I could get ahold of a Student Photocard and use that to get
discounts, I acquired one. The problem is, I don't know how to use
it! Is there a place where I can read about how to use a Student
Photocard? (This one is the green variety with the "Student" label
and it has an XA prefix, if that means anything).

Go to a tube ticket office and ask for a student monthly LT card or
whatever sort of ticket it is you want.

Show your student photocard and get a 30% discount
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Old December 8th 03, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote in message ...
In message , Robin May
writes
(TheOneKEA) wrote the following in:
. com

2. I am a full-time university student, and when I discovered that
I could get ahold of a Student Photocard and use that to get
discounts, I acquired one. The problem is, I don't know how to use
it! Is there a place where I can read about how to use a Student
Photocard? (This one is the green variety with the "Student" label
and it has an XA prefix, if that means anything).

Go to a tube ticket office and ask for a student monthly LT card or
whatever sort of ticket it is you want.

Show your student photocard and get a 30% discount

Is it really that easy? I tried showing it at the Richmond ticket office
one time and was informed that I coudln't use it. All I have to do is present
it at the window and I'll get a Photocard-required ticket that costs 30% less?
Old December 8th 03, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , TheOneKEA
writes
Kat wrote in message
[...]

That was probably because the Student Photocard will only give you a
discounted LT Travelcard which isn't valid for NR (with a few exceptions
recently discussed here)
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Old December 8th 03, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote in message ...
In message , TheOneKEA
writes
Kat wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps. I didn't explicitly ask for an LT monthly travelcard, so the woman
behind the counter probably thought I wanted to use NR or SWT services. Thanks
for the clarification.

I also found the Oystercard web site. I'll have a look around there before
reviving this thread, if necessary. Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Brad Chapman
Old December 9th 03, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

Perhaps. I didn't explicitly ask for an LT monthly travelcard, so the woman
behind the counter probably thought I wanted to use NR or SWT services. Thanks
for the clarification.

I also found the Oystercard web site. I'll have a look around there before
reviving this thread, if necessary. Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Brad Chapman

However, from January the student travelcard WILL be valid on most NR
services inside the appropriate zone! :-) (see earlier threads on this
group for details)
Old December 10th 03, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Dec 2003, TheOneKEA wrote:

(dan) wrote in message . com...

Perhaps. I didn't explicitly ask for an LT monthly travelcard, so
the woman behind the counter probably thought I wanted to use NR or
SWT services. Thanks for the clarification.

However, from January the student travelcard WILL be valid on most NR
services inside the appropriate zone! :-) (see earlier threads on this
group for details)

Chuh! Somone could have mentioned that when i posted ...

Great! I'll have to check the groups for more info. Thanks for the tip!

Okay, the specific things pointed to we

- This press release from Ken:

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_...releaseid=1983

Which says that from 4/1/2004, "Transport for London student photocards
will be valid on National rail trains in the London area"; it's not clear
if this means that LT cards (or student LT cards) will become valid, or
we'll be able to buy travelcards, but it comes to much the same thing.

- An article at the bottom of page 3 of this issue of The Londoner:

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/londo...oner-nov03.pdf

Which says (apologies to the copyright holder!):

quote
30 per cent off rail fares for students from January

Students will get a 30 per cent discount on National Rail services in
London from January as part of the new fares deal announced by Transport
for London.

Following an agreement with the train operating companies, from 4 January
2004 holders of Transport for London student photocards will be able to
buy discount rate seven-day, monthly and longer period Travelcards valid
for travel on national rail trains in the London area as well as on the
Tube, Docklands Light Railway, Tramlink and London bus services.

The change will particularly benefit the 100,000 students who study at
outer London colleges which are not in easy reach of an Underground
station.

Chris Piper, President of the University of London Union (ULU), said: 'ULU
is delighted that the Student Photocard Scheme is to be extended. This is
something that we have been campaigning for over the last two years and
tens of thousands of students across London will benefit as a direct
result.'

'Medical students using the London rail network to attend clinical
placements, in particular, will be among those who will see their limited
funds go further as a result of the extension of the scheme.'

How it works

- Student photocard holders save 30 per cent on seven-day, monthly or
longer period tickets from the 'Youth' range on buses, the Tube, DLR and
Tramlink.

- Students aged 18 or over who are enrolled and attending a full-time
course (a minimum of 15 learning hours a week over 14 weeks) at a
university, college or school in the London area can obtain a student
photocard.

- Part-time students are eligible if they are in receipt of a fee waiver,
access bursaries, hardship fund payments or hardship loans and fall within
Department for Education and Skills criteria.

- Photocards are available by post for a #5 administration fee from PO Box
290, Hull, HU9 1XD. Application forms can be obtained from the studentŐs
university, college or school.

/quote

Does anyone know why the office handling photocards for London Transport
is in Hull?

I'd also point out that the current validity of LT cards on NR services is
a little unclear; TfL's rules are not identical to NR's (again, see
threads passim - start at
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ic05sv08e8uc4gkg1m3sl66u42j6ubi31n% 404ax.com),
although the differences may well be due to typos.

HTH (it certainly helps me!),
tom

--
roger and kay payne, symmetry, piercing, archaeology, position, in ,,

Old December 10th 03, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

Does anyone know why the office handling photocards for London Transport
is in Hull?

Cheaper workforce?