Old April 22nd 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Old bridge over Brick Lane

On a recent walk down Brick Lane I noticed the remnants of an old bridge
over the road.
I'm guessing it was railway but since all the Great Eastern lines are
underneath here, where did this line come from.
Thanks
Martin J.

Old April 22nd 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Martin J" wrote in message
On a recent walk down Brick Lane I noticed the remnants of an old bridge
over the road.
I'm guessing it was railway but since all the Great Eastern lines are
underneath here, where did this line come from.
Thanks
Martin J.

The Great Eastern line originally went over Brick Lane at this point to a terminus on
Shoreditch High Street originally called "Shoreditch" (1840) and later renamed
"Bishopsgate" (1847).

When Liverpool Street opened in 1874 it was closed and reopened as a goods station
in 1881. The goods station was damaged by fire in 1964 and closed.

The two lines met at a junction at Bethnal Green.

Old April 22nd 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:35:50 +0100, "Martin J"
wrote:

On a recent walk down Brick Lane I noticed the remnants of an old bridge
over the road.
I'm guessing it was railway but since all the Great Eastern lines are
underneath here, where did this line come from.

Sounds like the Braithwaite viaduct carrying the original Great
Eastern line into Bishopsgate terminus; after a lot of argument about
demoltion there should still be more than 'remnants' of it visible.

--
Peter Lawrence
Old April 25th 05, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On a recent walk down Brick Lane I noticed the remnants of an old bridge
over the road.

Sounds like the Braithwaite viaduct carrying the original Great
Eastern line into Bishopsgate terminus; after a lot of argument about
demoltion there should still be more than 'remnants' of it visible.

I'm assuming the original poster is referring to this bridge:-
http://www.sorted.org/pixie/bishopsgate/14m

(caveat: this photo predates the current demolition work)

As I understand it, the Braithwaite viaduct is more "embedded within"
the old goods station, ie off to the right of that photo, but this
bridge did carry lines into the upper level.

More info on the goods station he-
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...goods_station/
(search down for "Braithwaite").

http://www.sorted.org/pixie/bishopsgate/8m was taken on Wheeler Street
before it was closed and is in the style of the Braithwaite viaduct
but I'm not sure if it is part of it (the brickwork looks too new)

Pete.

Brick tower at Crouch Hill Station Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 January 5th 17 03:36 PM
Old wood lane depot Boltar London Transport 0 November 5th 08 08:21 AM
Old Central line wood lane depot [email protected] London Transport 5 June 5th 08 11:06 PM
Brick Lane Tristán White London Transport 89 January 3rd 07 11:16 PM
A13 Beckton old flyover to be demolished in little over week Dr. Sunil London Transport 5 October 20th 03 01:49 PM