Old December 30th 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brick Lane

What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost the
area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a rum deal
at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

Old December 30th 06, 02:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost the
area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a rum deal
at the moment.

I've always been rather sceptical of the idea that Shoreditch is/was the
best station for Brick Lane. Personally I've always found Aldgate East to be
the most useful. I guess if you were travelling from south of Whitechapel
and Shoreditch was open then it might be useful, but Aldgate East comes out
at a better place for walking Brick Lane properly.

Do they have much of a hope?

When was the last time a tube station was renamed for something other than
an external redefinition (e.g. "Heathrow Central" - "Heathrow Terminals 1,
2 & 3") or typographical simplicity (can't think of a tube, though on NR
"Boxhill & Westhumble" is now "Box Hill & Westhumble" in line with the hill
in question)? And who would pay for it all?

Also is interchange at street level currently permitted between the
Aldgates? (If not it would be bloody useful - there are times when it seems
quicker to do this than wait for an H&C train.) Changing the name could
cause confusion.

And what about the rest of the area Aldgate East serves? I can't see "Brick
Lane" taking off as a name for that part of London, although is "Aldgate" or
"Aldgate East" widely used in any formal or informal sense? (London
Metropolitan University calls the old London Guildhall end of things the
"London City" campus.)

Old December 30th 06, 05:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost
the area.

I hope they don't get their way. The station isn't in Brick lane, or very
near it.

At the junction of St Helens Gardens and Oxford Gardens there is a sign
saying...

--- Latimer Road Station
Latimer Road ------

.... or something similar. To me, this is a clear indication that Latimer
Road station needs to be renamed. If Aldgate East station was renamed to
Brick Lane, we would then need signs telling people that Brick Lane is this
way, but Brick Lane Station is that way.

Aldgate East station is in Whitechapel High Street. It should probably be
called Whitechapel, and Whitechapel should be called something else!

Old December 30th 06, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
When was the last time a tube station was renamed for something other than
an external redefinition (e.g. "Heathrow Central" - "Heathrow Terminals

1,
2 & 3") or typographical simplicity (can't think of a tube, though on NR
"Boxhill & Westhumble" is now "Box Hill & Westhumble" in line with the

hill
in question)? And who would pay for it all?

Surrey Docks - Surrey Quays?

--
Richard

Old December 30th 06, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tristán White" wrote in message
9.145...
What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost the
area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a rum deal
at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

Maybe they should proceed by stealth, and ask for notices bythe platform
roundels 'for Brick Lane' cf Maida Vale 'for Little Venice'. This wouldn't
require the entire system to have the maps changed, like they will for
'Shepherds Bush Market' in due course...
Paul

Old December 30th 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 03:10:58 -0000, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

Tristán White wrote:

What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost the
area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a rum deal
at the moment.

I've always been rather sceptical of the idea that Shoreditch is/was the
best station for Brick Lane. Personally I've always found Aldgate East to be
the most useful. I guess if you were travelling from south of Whitechapel
and Shoreditch was open then it might be useful, but Aldgate East comes out
at a better place for walking Brick Lane properly.

Depends on where you're going on Brick Lane. I often go to the "Beigel"
bakeries at the other end of Brick Lane, and it's a 10 minute walk from
Aldgate East to the bakeries. I normally opt for the #8 bus, even though it
takes much longer from Victoria, as it stops across the street from Brick Land
at the upper end.

[...]

I think it makes sense, as I'm sure people have been confused between the two
in the past. It would be exciting to have a new station name.

The main difficulty would, I suppose, be the cost of printing new maps and
signs. With the current wave of multiculturalism, it would probably be a good
thing for the neighbourhood. I'm in favour.
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
www.christianphansen.com or chrishansenhome.livejournal.co
Old December 30th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:16:33 -0000, "Richard Rundle"
wrote:

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
When was the last time a tube station was renamed for something other than
an external redefinition (e.g. "Heathrow Central" - "Heathrow Terminals

1,
2 & 3") or typographical simplicity (can't think of a tube, though on NR
"Boxhill & Westhumble" is now "Box Hill & Westhumble" in line with the

hill
in question)? And who would pay for it all?

Surrey Docks - Surrey Quays?

Aldersgate - Barbican?

Yes, i know it was officially Aldersgate and Barbican but the Barbican
bit was very rarely mentioned prior to the renamimg.
Old December 30th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Tristán White wrote:

What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and
shop and restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick
Lane" to boost the area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're
getting a bit of a rum deal at the moment.

I've always been rather sceptical of the idea that Shoreditch
is/was the best station for Brick Lane. Personally I've always
found Aldgate East to be the most useful. I guess if you were
travelling from south of Whitechapel and Shoreditch was open
then it might be useful, but Aldgate East comes out at a better
place for walking Brick Lane properly.

Depends on where you're going on Brick Lane. I often go to the
"Beigel" bakeries at the other end of Brick Lane, and it's a 10
minute walk from Aldgate East to the bakeries.

So the new Shoreditch High Street station when it opens would be equally
if not more convenient than Aldgate East for the north end of Brick
Lane.

I don't see how the closure of a station that was generally open only in
peak hours would have a major impact on the restaurants. Perhaps they
should concentrate on the quality of the food rather than aggressively
harrassing pedestrians on Brick Lane or organising ill-founded
petitions.

--
Richard J.

Old December 30th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

And what about the rest of the area Aldgate East serves? I can't see
"Brick
Lane" taking off as a name for that part of London, although is "Aldgate"
or
"Aldgate East" widely used in any formal or informal sense? (London
Metropolitan University calls the old London Guildhall end of things the
"London City" campus.)

I think it makes sense, as I'm sure people have been confused between the
two
in the past. It would be exciting to have a new station name.

The main difficulty would, I suppose, be the cost of printing new maps and
signs. With the current wave of multiculturalism, it would probably be a
good
thing for the neighbourhood. I'm in favour.

If it were named after the area rather than the road it should probably be
called Banglatown (after the Tower Hamlets ward). However, Aldgate East
station serves a much wider area than just Brick Lane. I don't think it
would be a very good idea to rename it. Brick Lane doesn't even meet up with
Whitechapel High Street (Osborn Street links it - perhaps if they are
desperate to rename something they should rename Osborn Street to Brick Lane
first?). Also Brick Lane goes right up beyond Bethnal Green Road and into
the Boundary Estate, a long way from Aldgate East tube and nearer to
Liverpool Street.

Old December 30th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 06:18:00 -0000, John Rowland wrote:

What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost
the area.

I hope they don't get their way. The station isn't in Brick lane, or very
near it.

It would also invite a flurry of other requests to rename stations for
commercial purposes, and would leave LU with no excuse to deny those
requests. Look forward to Waterloo being renamed London Eye, etc. Does
the name of South Kensington get changed to Museum Central or Royal
Albert Hall? Perhaps they could hold auctions - highest bidder gets to
name their station.

Brick tower at Crouch Hill Station Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 January 5th 17 03:36 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Caught driving on a bus lane by camera - what to do? Volker Finke London Transport 46 October 11th 03 02:03 PM
Kew Bridge Bus Lane Suspended Robin Cox London Transport 6 September 30th 03 09:32 AM
Chancery Lane Matthew Malthouse London Transport 12 July 19th 03 05:02 PM