London Banter

-   -   Extra Carraige on the Edware Road branch? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2977-extra-carraige-edware-road-branch.html)

Chris! April 23rd 05 12:43 PM

Extra Carraige on the Edware Road branch?

I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

--
Chris

Dave Arquati April 23rd 05 02:01 PM

Chris! wrote:
I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

The new common subsurface stock, due in 2011ish, will have walk-through
connections between carriages, and I believe it will have shorter
carriages too - presumably enabling it to run anywhere on the subsurface
network. Someone may be along shortly to correct me.

What I doubt is that any particular MP had anything to do with the
specification of the new SSL trains.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Colin Rosenstiel April 23rd 05 07:11 PM

Extra Carraige on the Edware Road branch?

In article .com,
(Chris!) wrote:

I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

If it's like content in other leaflets of hers I saw, I expect so.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel April 23rd 05 08:14 PM

Extra Carraige on the Edware Road branch?

In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

Chris! wrote:
I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

The new common subsurface stock, due in 2011ish, will have walk-through
connections between carriages, and I believe it will have shorter
carriages too - presumably enabling it to run anywhere on the
subsurface network. Someone may be along shortly to correct me.

What I doubt is that any particular MP had anything to do with the
specification of the new SSL trains.

I thought they were designing the new stock for 6, 7 or 8 car trains with
car lengths similar to current A and C stock?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Chris! April 24th 05 12:42 AM

Extra Carraige on the Edware Road branch?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Chris!) wrote:
Or did she make it up?

If it's like content in other leaflets of hers I saw, I expect so.

It did suprise me that she says she will campaign for signal / track
replacement on the branch yet apparently this is happening on the
20th-23rd May anyway

--
Chris

Paul Corfield April 24th 05 08:11 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:01:32 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Chris! wrote:
I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

The new common subsurface stock, due in 2011ish, will have walk-through
connections between carriages, and I believe it will have shorter
carriages too - presumably enabling it to run anywhere on the subsurface
network. Someone may be along shortly to correct me.

What I doubt is that any particular MP had anything to do with the
specification of the new SSL trains.

IIRC there is a contract option to allow for 7 car instead of 6 car
operation on the Circle, H&C and Wimbleware part of the SSL network. I
think the prospective parliamentary candidate may be referring to that.
I shall have to check to see if LUL has exercised that option or not.

--
Paul C

Chris! April 24th 05 10:08 AM

Paul Corfield wrote:
IIRC there is a contract option to allow for 7 car instead of 6 car
operation on the Circle, H&C and Wimbleware part of the SSL network.

think the prospective parliamentary candidate may be referring to

that.
I shall have to check to see if LUL has exercised that option or not.

Hi Paul,

Thanks

Would those 7 cars be the same total length as the current 6 then? Or
would platforms need extending? Or am I completely wrong in thinking
the current 6 car ones fill the platform at some stations.

--
Chris

Colin Rosenstiel April 24th 05 02:17 PM

(Chris!) wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
IIRC there is a contract option to allow for 7 car instead of 6 car
operation on the Circle, H&C and Wimbleware part of the SSL network.
I think the prospective parliamentary candidate may be referring to
that. I shall have to check to see if LUL has exercised that option or
not.

Would those 7 cars be the same total length as the current 6 then? Or
would platforms need extending? Or am I completely wrong in thinking
the current 6 car ones fill the platform at some stations.

It seems hard to credit that the new cars could be any shorter than the
existing C stock ones, unless they were articulated. I thought
articulation had been ruled out some time ago.

--
Colin Rosenstiel