Old April 23rd 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Extra Carraige on the Edware Road branch?

I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

--
Chris

Old April 23rd 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris! wrote:
I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

The new common subsurface stock, due in 2011ish, will have walk-through
connections between carriages, and I believe it will have shorter
carriages too - presumably enabling it to run anywhere on the subsurface
network. Someone may be along shortly to correct me.

What I doubt is that any particular MP had anything to do with the
specification of the new SSL trains.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 24th 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Chris!) wrote:
Or did she make it up?

If it's like content in other leaflets of hers I saw, I expect so.

It did suprise me that she says she will campaign for signal / track
replacement on the branch yet apparently this is happening on the
20th-23rd May anyway

--
Chris

Old April 24th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:01:32 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Chris! wrote:
I was supprised today to read in the leaflet for the conservative
candidate in Putney that:

"LU have agreed to add an extra carriage to Edgware Road tubes"

Is this possible? I thought the platforms were shorter beyond High St
Ken? Where are the carriages coming from - will there be less but
longer trains?

Or did she make it up?

The new common subsurface stock, due in 2011ish, will have walk-through
connections between carriages, and I believe it will have shorter
carriages too - presumably enabling it to run anywhere on the subsurface
network. Someone may be along shortly to correct me.

What I doubt is that any particular MP had anything to do with the
specification of the new SSL trains.

IIRC there is a contract option to allow for 7 car instead of 6 car
operation on the Circle, H&C and Wimbleware part of the SSL network. I
think the prospective parliamentary candidate may be referring to that.
I shall have to check to see if LUL has exercised that option or not.

--
Paul C

Old April 24th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
IIRC there is a contract option to allow for 7 car instead of 6 car
operation on the Circle, H&C and Wimbleware part of the SSL network.

think the prospective parliamentary candidate may be referring to

that.
I shall have to check to see if LUL has exercised that option or not.

Hi Paul,

Thanks

Would those 7 cars be the same total length as the current 6 then? Or
would platforms need extending? Or am I completely wrong in thinking
the current 6 car ones fill the platform at some stations.

--
Chris