Old April 29th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Platforms at Warren Street

Why are warren street's platforms for the northern line on the outside
of the tracks, with the platform entrance so far up to the ends?

Is this something they added for the victoria line, since there seems
to have been a lot of rebuilding - there is a blocked passageway by the
escalator that I would guess used to lead to the lifts, but shouldn't
there be two - one for getting to the platforms and one for leaving?

Or is it something they did recently - the tiling looks as if it has
recently been restored, and I guess that means there must have been
some modernising like blocking off a small passage at the interchange
level that curves to the left, I guess heading down to the victoria
line, that they must have replaced by the wider one with escalators
thats used now?

Old April 30th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Apr 2005 15:38:12 -0700,
wrote:

Why are warren street's platforms for the northern line on the outside
of the tracks, with the platform entrance so far up to the ends?

The platforms are probably placed like that because there were
restrictions - either engineering or legal - on the running tunnels
"parting" to allow them to be placed inbetween. The entrance will
have been so placed when the escalators were added - the original lift
landings being elsewhere and obviously directly below the station.

Is this something they added for the victoria line, since there seems
to have been a lot of rebuilding - there is a blocked passageway by the
escalator that I would guess used to lead to the lifts, but shouldn't
there be two - one for getting to the platforms and one for leaving?

There was certainly a lot of rebuilding in the 1930s when the
escalators were added, and then more in 1960s for the Victoria line.
This didn't, though, extend to any alteration of the Northern
platforms.

Or is it something they did recently - the tiling looks as if it has
recently been restored, and I guess that means there must have been
some modernising like blocking off a small passage at the interchange
level that curves to the left, I guess heading down to the victoria
line, that they must have replaced by the wider one with escalators
thats used now?

The tiling was replaced around 2000, but one segment with the original
"Euston Road" name has been retained within a wooden frame at platform
level.

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old April 30th 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Why are warren street's platforms for the northern line on the

outside
of the tracks, with the platform entrance so far up to the ends?

The platforms are probably placed like that because there were
restrictions - either engineering or legal - on the running tunnels
"parting" to allow them to be placed inbetween.

The only thing I can think of is if the road narrowed by the station,
but it does the opposite - its wider here than at goodge street.

The entrance will
have been so placed when the escalators were added - the original

lift
landings being elsewhere and obviously directly below the station.

the bottom escalator landing is just south of being directly below the
station, and there is a blocked black door with grills in that heads
north from the landing, so that would be directly below the station,
but there is only one, and aren't there supposed to be two - one for
each direction, so that people don't get into a traffic jam after
leaving the lifts?

Or is it something they did recently - the tiling looks as if it has

recently been restored,

The tiling was replaced around 2000, but one segment with the original

"Euston Road" name has been retained within a wooden frame at platform

level.

I dont think ive seen that - is it southbound or northbound?

some modernising like blocking off a small passage at the

interchange
level that curves to the left,

Thinking about it, this must head due south, about half way down warren
street itself, (as the escalators to the victoria head south west)
which is totally bizarre - its the wrong direction to have been
something to do with the construction of the victoria line, the old
northern line lifts must be used for ventilation, and there isn't a
demolished building here anyway, so it cant be for that, so is there a
government bunker or something to the south of half way along warren
street, or maybe they just got the direction of the tunnel completely
wrong the first time, and didnt notice?

Old May 1st 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thinking about it, this must head due south, about half way down warren
street itself, (as the escalators to the victoria head south west)
which is totally bizarre - its the wrong direction to have been
something to do with the construction of the victoria line, the old
northern line lifts must be used for ventilation, and there isn't a
demolished building here anyway, so it cant be for that, so is there a
government bunker or something to the south of half way along warren
street, or maybe they just got the direction of the tunnel completely
wrong the first time, and didnt notice?

There is a former construction-shaft which surfaces on the north side of
Whitfield Place near the corner of Whitfield Street. This is now a
draught-relief shaft which comes down at the north end of the northbound
Victoria Line platform, and I suspect it is also connected with the passage
you mention.

Old May 1st 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oh, I thought they used bigger shafts than that.
Was it for all the dirt and stuff that they had to dig out?

Old May 7th 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I found that when I was looking, but on that reply, people said it was
heading towards euston square, which is completely wrong, as it goes in
the opposite direction.

Old May 7th 05, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, I thought they used bigger shafts than that.
Was it for all the dirt and stuff that they had to dig out?

Yes. The earlier Tubes were built mainly using the shafts at each station
which were later to become the lift shafts; the City & South London, Baker
Street & Waterloo Railway and Waterloo & City Railways additionally had
shaft(s) in the Thames.

With the advent of escalators, and with stations having ever more complex
layouts, it became necessary for most stations to be constructed using
temporary or permanent shafts - for personnel access, tunnelling and removal
of spoil. In the case of the Victoria Line every station has at least one,
and in addition much of the running-tunnel construction was carried out from
sites between stations. A few were backfilled (mainly those in sensitive
sites such as the squares of Fitzroy and Cavendish), but most remain as
ventilation or cable shafts, often connected to quite complex layouts of
purpose-built or surplus passageways. The sizes vary but a typical shaft
such as Whitfield Place would be 12ft in diameter and roughly 60ft deep.

Hope that answers your question!

Old May 7th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

nDavid Splett typed:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, I thought they used bigger shafts than that.
Was it for all the dirt and stuff that they had to dig out?

Yes. The earlier Tubes were built mainly using the shafts at each
station which were later to become the lift shafts; the City & South
London, Baker Street & Waterloo Railway and Waterloo & City Railways
additionally had shaft(s) in the Thames.

*In* the Thames?? Do you mean near the Thames, e.g. on the riverbank?
--
Richard J.

Old May 7th 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

No, he means in it. They put in iron walls around an area of the
thames, pumped the water out, then dug the shaft. Ive seen it done for
the jubilee line station at canary wharf.