Old April 29th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow

Hello all.
Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and future.
I'm particulary interested about the third runway possibility. Where would
they squeeze it in?

Old April 29th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:
Hello all.
Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and future.
I'm particulary interested about the third runway possibility. Where would
they squeeze it in?

Basically by demolishing parts of two villages to the north of the
current airport, but to the south of the M4.

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/61
http://tinyurl.com/8u86s (map from Hillingdon council)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...on_026033.hcsp
http://www.baa.co.uk/

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 30th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Anon wrote:

Hello all.
Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and future.
I'm particulary interested about the third runway possibility. Where
would
they squeeze it in?

Basically by demolishing parts of two villages to the north of the
current airport, but to the south of the M4.

That would eliminate the IC (and former Chelsea FC) sports ground, would
it not?

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/61

""NOTRAG" (No Third Runway Action Group)"

It should be a Say NO to Third Runway Action Group...
Old April 30th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Anon wrote:

Hello all.
Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and
future.
I'm particulary interested about the third runway possibility. Where
would
they squeeze it in?

Basically by demolishing parts of two villages to the north of the
current airport, but to the south of the M4.

That would eliminate the IC (and former Chelsea FC) sports ground, would
it not?

If that's the place in Harlington, then most likely (I'm not
particularly sporty so I haven't had the pleasure of going there...).

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/61

""NOTRAG" (No Third Runway Action Group)"

It should be a Say NO to Third Runway Action Group...

Thanks - duly corrected.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 30th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
James Farrar wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

Anon wrote:

Hello all.
Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and
future.
I'm particulary interested about the third runway possibility. Where
would
they squeeze it in?

Basically by demolishing parts of two villages to the north of the
current airport, but to the south of the M4.

That would eliminate the IC (and former Chelsea FC) sports ground,
would it not?

If that's the place in Harlington, then most likely (I'm not
particularly sporty so I haven't had the pleasure of going there...).

That's the one.

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/61

""NOTRAG" (No Third Runway Action Group)"

It should be a Say NO to Third Runway Action Group...

Thanks - duly corrected.

You misunderstand me.

It is actually a NOTRAG, but I think it would be funnier if it *were* a
SNOTRAG...

Old May 1st 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Anon wrote:

Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and
future. I'm particulary interested about the third runway possibility.
Where would they squeeze it in?

Basically by demolishing parts of two villages to the north of the
current airport, but to the south of the M4.

Would that mean yet another closure of the Piccadilly? Does the current
work make any provision for future expansion? Or would it not have its own
station? What about HX?

Random question about Airtrack: the idea is that Airtrack would connect to
the Heathrow Express/Connect line at Terminal 5, right? So you could have
trains running Paddington - Heathrow - Waterloo or Paddington - Heathrow -
Ascot - Reading? If so, has anyone considered using that to extend
Crossrail beyond Heathrow? Is there much of a commuter market on the line
from Staines to Reading?

Also, has anyone drawn a map or diagram with all the lines, existing and
proposed, at Heathrow? My head's spinning trying to fit them all together.

tom

--
tiny des

Old May 1st 05, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:

Are there any good websites about Heathrow. Its past, present and
future. I'm particulary interested about the third runway
possibility.
Where would they squeeze it in?

Basically by demolishing parts of two villages to the north of the
current airport, but to the south of the M4.

Would that mean yet another closure of the Piccadilly? Does the
current
work make any provision for future expansion? Or would it not have its
own
station? What about HX?

The official proposal is for a third runway, not a sixth terminal, so no
new railway construction is currently envisaged. However, some reports
have said the new runway would require its own terminal, otherwise the
planned increase in flights could not be achieved. I haven't seen any
discussion of the surface transport implications of a sixth terminal.

--
Richard J.

Old May 4th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

Anon wrote:

[...]

Now that's just mean... I was busy preparing for exams and I wasn't
concentrating!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 4th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:

[...]

I was under the impression that at least some "satellite terminals"
would be required (if not a full sixth terminal), as there is such a
distance between the current terminals and the proposed runway.

If a new terminal were required, presumably a HEx/Crossrail station
could be constructed around the existing running tunnels for the
Heathrow rail branch, as that would probably pass underneath or nearby
any new terminal construction.

The surface transport implications associated with a new terminal are
much the same as for the new runway; the same increase in traffic will
need to be accommodated in any case. The DfT document on Heathrow (link
on my site) talks about these options; I've listed them on my website.
They include Airtrack, direct services to St Albans, Watford and
Reading, a new Intercity station at Terminal 5 with a new GW connection,
and a new tunnelled dual carriageway from Heathrow to the M3 at Sunbury.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 4th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:

[...]

Very true. No tube, though?

tom

--
Georgia New York Los Angeles Vegas Washington Utah