London Banter

-   -   WWII Bunker (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3012-wwii-bunker.html)

lonelytraveller May 4th 05 11:19 PM

WWII Bunker

I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was never
actually built.

Now, I was passing through St. Pauls this morning on an eastbound
train, and happened to stand at the back (west), which is unusual for
me, and when we got to St. Pauls, I noticed that there seemed to be a
series of several black doors at the west end of the platform. I would
guess this is pretty close to where the old post office building was,
near the bombed church, and there seems to be a wierd blockhouse in a
similar position in the middle of the road on the surface.

Did they build it after all, as it would have been good for the Post
office, but keep it secret, or are these doors something completely
unconnected?

Boltar May 5th 05 10:46 AM

WWII Bunker

Could be something to do with the old lift concourse and ticket hall.

B2003

Kat May 5th 05 08:56 PM

WWII Bunker

lonelytraveller wrote:
I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was never
actually built.

Now, I was passing through St. Pauls this morning on an eastbound
train, and happened to stand at the back (west), which is unusual for
me, and when we got to St. Pauls, I noticed that there seemed to be a
series of several black doors at the west end of the platform. I would
guess this is pretty close to where the old post office building was,
near the bombed church, and there seems to be a wierd blockhouse in a
similar position in the middle of the road on the surface.

Did they build it after all, as it would have been good for the Post
office, but keep it secret, or are these doors something completely
unconnected?

According to our duty manager, who used to work on that group, the doors
do lead to what was going to be a shelter. He said that while the
excavating was taking place local people complained about the noise and
got the work stopped by finding some ancient law forbidding any
tunnelling under St Paul's Cathedral. The excavated area is now a
ventilation shaft and the block house thing you describe is the top of
it.
That was what I was told.....
--
Kat

lonelytraveller May 5th 05 09:23 PM

WWII Bunker

The lift concourse is further along - by the escalators - you can
actually see one of the corridoors above the bottom landing of the
escalators, and the other one is just along the platform where the
black doors are.

The doors I mean are right at the western end, which is much further
away.

lonelytraveller May 5th 05 09:24 PM

WWII Bunker

I didn't think the tube was as far south as the cathedral. Do you mean
a law about the bombed out church?

Kat May 5th 05 10:04 PM

WWII Bunker

lonelytraveller wrote:
I didn't think the tube was as far south as the cathedral. Do you mean
a law about the bombed out church?

I did wonder about that too but I'm only repeating what I was told.
I did find this though; written by Nick who posts here regularly.
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
If you scroll down there's a bit about St Paul's.
--
Kat

Ian Jelf May 5th 05 11:22 PM

WWII Bunker

In message , Kat
writes
lonelytraveller wrote:
I didn't think the tube was as far south as the cathedral. Do you mean
a law about the bombed out church?

I did wonder about that too but I'm only repeating what I was told.

It was the Dean 7 Chapter (ie the "Cathedral authorities") who
complained about the shelter tunnelling shortly after it began.

The complaint was actually about disturbance to the former churchyard, I
understand, rather than the fabric of the Cathedral per se.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

John Rowland May 5th 05 11:31 PM

WWII Bunker

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message oups.com...

I didn't think the tube was as far south as the cathedral.
Do you mean a law about the bombed out church?

No. There is a law against tunnelling within a significant area around St
Pauls. AFAIK there is no such law concerning any other building, even Big
Ben.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Tom Anderson May 6th 05 02:13 AM

WWII Bunker

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Kat wrote:

lonelytraveller wrote:

I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was never
actually built.

According to our duty manager, who used to work on that group, the doors
do lead to what was going to be a shelter. He said that while the
excavating was taking place local people complained about the noise and
got the work stopped by finding some ancient law forbidding any
tunnelling under St Paul's Cathedral.

Hang on - was this *during* the war? "Bomb shelter? No thanks, too noisy!
We'll just sit here with these nice quiet BOMBS FALLING ON OUR HEADS."?!?!

tom

--
The major advances in civilization are processes that all but wreck the societies in which they occur. -- Alfred North Whitehead

TheOneKEA May 6th 05 07:11 AM

WWII Bunker

John Rowland wrote:

No. There is a law against tunnelling within a significant area
around St Pauls. AFAIK there is no such law concerning any other
building, even Big Ben.

So how did the CLR manage to get their tunnels in then?

John Rowland May 6th 05 08:17 AM

WWII Bunker

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
ups.com...
John Rowland wrote:

No. There is a law against tunnelling within a
significant area around St Pauls. AFAIK there
is no such law concerning any other building, even Big Ben.

So how did the CLR manage to get their tunnels in then?

They used the Tardis to go back in time, and then built the tunnel before
the law was introduced.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

lonelytraveller May 6th 05 08:24 AM

WWII Bunker

Thats a good point really. The wierd shelter door things are on the
north side of the platform, so if they could build the tube why were
they not allowed to build to the north of it?

Neillw001 May 6th 05 10:47 PM

WWII Bunker

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2005, Kat wrote:

lonelytraveller

wrote:

[...]

As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green or
Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it was
abandoned due to water ingress.

Neill

Nick Cooper May 7th 05 10:00 AM

WWII Bunker

On 6 May 2005 15:47:08 -0700, "Neillw001"
wrote:

As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green

Abandoned due to persistent flooding.

or Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it
was abandoned due to water ingress.

Abandoned due to persistent flooding from unexepected water-bearing
stratum (i.e. not the buried River Effra, as per some accounts).
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Clive D. W. Feather May 7th 05 12:42 PM

WWII Bunker

In article . com,
TheOneKEA writes
No. There is a law against tunnelling within a significant area
around St Pauls. AFAIK there is no such law concerning any other
building, even Big Ben.

So how did the CLR manage to get their tunnels in then?

Because they were building under the authority of their own Act of
Parliament, and the authorities at St.Pauls would have had an
opportunity to object at the time. The shelter tunnels didn't have an
Act; they were wartime emergency work.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

lonelytraveller May 7th 05 12:46 PM

WWII Bunker

I read somewhere that there was a huge cathedral sized cavern just off
the running tunnels between bethnal green and liverpool street.
Couldn't they just have built the bunker in that instead of digging
tunnels below the water table nearby?

lonelytraveller May 7th 05 02:05 PM

WWII Bunker

So the authority of St. Paul's outweighs any authority that the
government has, even in times of national emergency?

Mike Bristow May 7th 05 07:01 PM

WWII Bunker

In article .com,
lonelytraveller wrote:
So the authority of St. Paul's outweighs any authority that the
government has, even in times of national emergency?

No; the authority of parliment outweighs a mere offical (eg: a minister).

I'm not sure that's true anymore, but it was in WWII.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Nick Cooper May 7th 05 08:33 PM

WWII Bunker

On 7 May 2005 05:46:46 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

I read somewhere that there was a huge cathedral sized cavern just off
the running tunnels between bethnal green and liverpool street.
Couldn't they just have built the bunker in that instead of digging
tunnels below the water table nearby?

No, because the whole point of the Deep Level Shelters is that they
were designed to be adaptable after the War as parts of the
Underground network, and "huge cathedral sized cavern(s)" - even if
they actually exist - don't fit that criteria.

Mark Brader May 7th 05 08:55 PM

WWII Bunker

I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was never
actually built.

According to "Rails Through the Clay", in 1940 deep shelter tunnels
-- either beside or below the existing tubes -- were considered at
13 stations, 11 on the Northern Line and 2 on the Central:

- plans rejected (3): Leicester Square, Mornington Crescent,
Warren Street

- construction started but abandoned (2): Oval, St. Paul's

- completed in 1942 but retained for military or other government use
throughout the war (3): Chancery Lane, Clapham Common, Goodge Street.

- completed in 1942, initially retained for military or other
government use, but opened to the public in 1944 (5): Belsize Park,
Camden Town, Clapham North, Clapham South, Stockwell.

They were built by London Transport, which had the option of taking
them over for railway use after the war. Accordingly, locations were
chosen so that if it was found desirable to construct express relief
tubes for these two lines, then the shelters could become sections of
running tunnel.

The shelters each consisted of twin 16'6" diameter tunnels 1,400 feet
long, each divided for shelter purposes into two decks, with two access
shafts. They were planned for a capacity of 9,600 per shelter at a
cost of £15 per person, or about £1,500,000 for all 10 shelters, but
eventually it was decided that only 8,000 people should be fitted into
each one, and the cost was from £35 to £42 each, or about £2,500,000
for the 8 completed shelters.
--
Mark Brader | "You read war books -- people shooting each other,
Toronto | people bombing each other, people torturing each

lonelytraveller May 7th 05 09:05 PM

WWII Bunker

What I meant was, wasn't it possibly for them just to add the
prefabricated steel tunnel rings into an already existing cavern? It
would save a lot of effort.

lonelytraveller May 7th 05 09:05 PM

WWII Bunker

lonelytraveller May 7th 05 09:11 PM

WWII Bunker

If Clapham Town, Clapham North, and Clapham South are the public ones,
then where was Clapham Common?
There are only 3 tube stations in clapham as far as I know

Mark Brader May 7th 05 09:16 PM

WWII Bunker

No. There is a law against tunnelling within a
significant area around St Pauls. AFAIK there
is no such law concerning any other building, even Big Ben.

So how did the CLR manage to get their tunnels in then?

They used the Tardis to go back in time, and then built the tunnel before
the law was introduced.

Right. "Rails Through the Clay" says the cathedral Authorities (so
capitalized) "feared that the foundations of the cathedral might be
affected"; and a footnote reads: "The Cathedral had been given
statutory protection against damage from underground tunnels, in
the City of London (St Paul's Cathedral Preservation) Act 1935."

The footnote continues by citing "PRO MT 6/2728 and HO 205/266".
PRO is the Public Record Office and I presume the rest of this is
the numbers of two files there.

The CLR tunnels, of course, had been finished in 1900 -- but they
weren't quite as well aligned as the Yerkes tube tunnels opened a
few years later, and this restricted the size of trains that could
use them. With the 1930s plan to extend the line east and west
(mostly completed after the war), it was decided to enlarge the
tunnels to allow standard tube stock could be used, as well as
lengthening the stations to take 8-car trains.

It seems a reasonable conjecture that the "cathedral Authorities"
were similarly fearful of all this planned tunneling (which actually
happened in 1936-38), and wanted to make sure it was done with due
regard for their building; and that the protective 1935 act was a
response to their concerns. But that part is just my guess; for
all I know, maybe the timing of the act was just a coincidence.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...blind faith can ruin the eyesight--

Mark Brader May 7th 05 09:44 PM

WWII Bunker

"Kat":
According to our duty manager... while the excavating was
taking place local people complained about the noise and
got the work stopped by finding some ancient law forbidding any
tunnelling under St Paul's Cathedral.

Yes, well, that sounds like someone telling a story that way because
it sounds good. As I just pointed out elsewhere in the thread, it
was actually the cathedral authorities themselves who objected, and
under a 1935 law.

Tom Anderson:
Hang on - was this *during* the war? "Bomb shelter? No thanks,
too noisy! We'll just sit here with these nice quiet BOMBS
FALLING ON OUR HEADS."?!?!

It seems entirely possible to me that when the construction began,
there was no announcement of what it was for. It seems to have been
the way of things at the time that if something was in any way war-
related, then you didn't make it public until either the public had
a clear need to know, or else the enemy clearly already knew about
it. (When the V-2 rocket attacks on London began, nothing was said
for 3 months about the explosions being caused by enemy missiles.
See my old posting http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.transport.london/msg/d4edd85f5a82dae4?dmode=source&hl=en.)

Neill Wormwood:
As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green or
Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it was
abandoned due to water ingress.

Right.

As to Bethnal Green, at the outbreak of war the Central Line still
ended at Liverpool Street. But construction was well advanced on the
eastern extension, and the *incomplete station* at Bethnal Green was
used as a shelter, as were a number of other incomplete or abandoned
stations throughout the system.

In 1943 the stairs leading to this shelter were the site of a crowd
crush that is the all-time worst disaster on any site that is now or
ever has been part of the London Underground system -- 173 people were
killed, many of them children. "Rails Through the Clay" says that
this accident was hushed up at the time; in fact it was reported on
in considerable detail, *but with no mention of where in London it
had happened*. (On request I will email a reasonable number of copies
of my transcription of the Times's articles; for copyright reasons
it would be inappropriate to post them.)
--
Mark Brader "A moment's thought would have shown him,
Toronto but a moment is a long time and thought

Mark Brader May 7th 05 09:46 PM

WWII Bunker

Neill Wormwood:
As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green

Nick Cooper:
Abandoned due to persistent flooding.

Not mentioned in RTTC. Did they really start a further tunnel there?

or Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it
was abandoned due to water ingress.

Abandoned due to persistent flooding from unexepected water-bearing
stratum (i.e. not the buried River Effra, as per some accounts).

RTTC says "officially because water was encountered during tunnelling,
but the drawing was marked 'abandoned - shortage of labour'".
--
Mark Brader | "Red lights are not my concern.
Toronto | I am a driver, not a policeman."

Mark Brader May 7th 05 09:52 PM

WWII Bunker

If Clapham Town, Clapham North, and Clapham South are the public ones,
then where was Clapham Common?
There are only 3 tube stations in clapham as far as I know

Please quote enough text to retain context. In this case, doing so
would also have given the opportunity to reread it, and see that
I mentioned *Camden* Town. Clapham Common is the station between
Clapham North and Clapham South; there is no Clapham Town station.
--
Mark Brader "There are three rules for writing the novel.
Toronto Unfortunately no one knows what they are."

Nick Cooper May 8th 05 10:51 AM

WWII Bunker

On Sat, 07 May 2005 21:46:55 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Neill Wormwood:
As a matter of interest, was there any work done at Bethnal Green

Nick Cooper:
Abandoned due to persistent flooding.

Not mentioned in RTTC. Did they really start a further tunnel there?

Midway between BG and Liverpool Street, although it's acquired the
former name, presumably because it was either closer to that station,
or to differentiate it from the tunnels already in use as shelters at
Liverpool Street.

or Oval? As I recall there might have been some done at Oval, but it
was abandoned due to water ingress.

Abandoned due to persistent flooding from unexepected water-bearing
stratum (i.e. not the buried River Effra, as per some accounts).

RTTC says "officially because water was encountered during tunnelling,
but the drawing was marked 'abandoned - shortage of labour'".

'London's Secret Tubes' (Emmerson & Beard, 2004) attributes it to
flooding and quotes extensively from official reports at the time
detailing the problems encountered, and the measures that would need
to be taken to complete the shelter as planned. The only mention of
labour is in the context of the manpower being diverted to Camden
Town, where completion was of a higher priority.

Nick Cooper May 8th 05 10:59 AM

WWII Bunker

On 7 May 2005 14:05:19 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

What I meant was, wasn't it possibly for them just to add the
prefabricated steel tunnel rings into an already existing cavern? It
would save a lot of effort.

What are the chances of the floor of any cavern (even if it existed)
being at the exact level that the tunnel needed to go, or no lower
that some sort of bridging would be required? What protection would
there be for the tunnel segments if the roof of the cavern collapsed?
Bear in mind in the latter case that the ground clearance would be
apprecaitively less than that for a tunnel through solid grond, makign
it more vulnerable to bomb penetration.

lonelytraveller May 8th 05 11:27 AM

WWII Bunker

I don't know, but given that, apparantly, the cavern is "just off the
running tunnel" I would have thought that this particular cavern was in
the appropriate location.

Mrs Redboots May 8th 05 11:59 AM

WWII Bunker

lonelytraveller wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 7 May 2005:

If Clapham Town, Clapham North, and Clapham South are the public ones,
then where was Clapham Common?
There are only 3 tube stations in clapham as far as I know

I think you misread what Mark wrote - he said "Camden Town", not
"Clapham Town"! Clapham Common did indeed have a deep-level shelter
built, you can see the tower for it still, and apparently it was used as
accommodation for the hordes who came to the Festival of Britain in
1951, and then for those who came over on the Empire Windrush, and its
successors.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Clive D. W. Feather May 8th 05 02:43 PM

WWII Bunker

In article .com,
lonelytraveller writes
What I meant was, wasn't it possibly for them just to add the
prefabricated steel tunnel rings into an already existing cavern? It
would save a lot of effort.

Even if such a cavern existed (which I doubt), putting a line of steel
rings across it isn't easy - they'll all fall down! You need to build a
viaduct across it (as was done on line 7bis in Paris).

Or are you suggesting that there's a natural tunnel-shaped cavern under
East London?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Tom Anderson May 8th 05 05:04 PM

WWII Bunker

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article .com,
lonelytraveller writes

What I meant was, wasn't it possibly for them just to add the
prefabricated steel tunnel rings into an already existing cavern? It
would save a lot of effort.

Even if such a cavern existed (which I doubt), putting a line of steel
rings across it isn't easy - they'll all fall down! You need to build a
viaduct across it (as was done on line 7bis in Paris).

That sounds interesting. What sort of cavern was it? I have visions of a
tunnel emerging into some vast underground space deep beneath Paris -
probably lined with the bones of 19th-century hermits or something - and
crossing it on some impossibly slender bridge before plunging back into
the rock. Which would be cool.

Or are you suggesting that there's a natural tunnel-shaped cavern under
East London?

I got the impression 'cavern' meant some sort of manmade hole related to
the tube in some way. As in 'crossover cavern'.

tom

--
Transform your language.

Clive D. W. Feather May 8th 05 08:03 PM

WWII Bunker

In article ,
Tom Anderson writes
You need to build a
viaduct across it (as was done on line 7bis in Paris).

That sounds interesting. What sort of cavern was it?

Former quarry.

I have visions of a
tunnel emerging into some vast underground space deep beneath Paris -
probably lined with the bones of 19th-century hermits or something - and
crossing it on some impossibly slender bridge before plunging back into
the rock. Which would be cool.

It's something like that - apart from the bones, which are elsewhere -
but the bridges are enclosed so you can't see anything.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

lonelytraveller May 9th 05 01:25 AM

WWII Bunker

Apparantly the bethnal green cavern is close to the location of the
deep level shelter/bunker, nearer liverpool street, but past the
sidings. I know that when I've gone that way, there is a small gap in
the tunnel wall on the inside of the line in a location that
approximately matches that description.

The 7bis Cavern sounds cool though. Can you imagine being on the
central line in a boring tunnel and then going over a huge viaduct in
an underground cavern, that would be amazing.

Nick Cooper May 9th 05 07:11 AM

WWII Bunker

On 8 May 2005 18:25:51 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

Apparantly the bethnal green cavern is close to the location of the
deep level shelter/bunker, nearer liverpool street, but past the
sidings. I know that when I've gone that way, there is a small gap in
the tunnel wall on the inside of the line in a location that
approximately matches that description.

It doesn't sound feasible that, a) there would be such open access
from the running tunnel to this supposed cavern, or b) that none of
the standard works on the Underground in general and the Central in
particular seem to contain any refernece to it existing in the first
place.

lonelytraveller May 9th 05 07:44 AM

WWII Bunker

None of the northern line ones mention that the old interchange
concourse at euston is still there below the modern one, but it is
nethertheless - the books don't tell you everything, only the stuff
thats obvious and everyone else knows

Clive D. W. Feather May 9th 05 08:48 AM

WWII Bunker

In article . com,
lonelytraveller writes
Apparantly the bethnal green cavern is close to the location of the
deep level shelter/bunker, nearer liverpool street, but past the
sidings. I know that when I've gone that way, there is a small gap in
the tunnel wall on the inside of the line in a location that
approximately matches that description.

There is an access and ventilation shaft somewhere around there. Hardly
a cavern.

The 7bis Cavern sounds cool though. Can you imagine being on the
central line in a boring tunnel and then going over a huge viaduct in
an underground cavern, that would be amazing.

As I said; nothing to see.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

John Rowland May 9th 05 09:28 AM

WWII Bunker

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article ,
Tom Anderson writes

I have visions of a
tunnel emerging into some vast underground space
deep beneath Paris - probably lined with the bones of
19th-century hermits or something - and crossing it on
some impossibly slender bridge before plunging back into
the rock. Which would be cool.

It's something like that - apart from the bones, which are
elsewhere - but the bridges are enclosed so you can't see anything.

Spoilsports. I wonder if this was the inspiration behind the Christopher
Lambert film Subway?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Alan \(in Brussels\) May 9th 05 04:24 PM

WWII Bunker

"lonelytraveller" a écrit dans
le message de ups.com...
Apparantly the bethnal green cavern is close to the location of the
deep level shelter/bunker, nearer liverpool street, but past the
sidings. I know that when I've gone that way, there is a small gap in
the tunnel wall on the inside of the line in a location that
approximately matches that description.

The 7bis Cavern sounds cool though. Can you imagine being on the
central line in a boring tunnel and then going over a huge viaduct in
an underground cavern, that would be amazing.

The Brussels métro station 'Porte de Halle' has a science-fiction theme,
with what looks like half an old tram crashing through the walls (of the
adjacent part where trams on Line 3 run underground). It was designed by a
comic-book artist whose stories seem to carry on where 'Metropolis' left
off. You should come and see it sometime...

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)