Old May 9th 05, 03:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Drain prices

Google groups won't let me do that.

Sir or Madam, please QUOTE THE PASSAGE YOU ARE RESPONDING TO.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Alas, there is NO SUCH THING as 'NO SUCH THING as

Old May 9th 05, 06:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 May 2005 18:29:18 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

Google groups won't let me do that.

Yes it will. If you use the reply option in the additional options
bit (can't remember the exact wording) it does.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old May 9th 05, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message oups.com...
As far as I know the passage is inside the gateline - as the gateline
blocks the travelator and the steps, and the other end of the passage
is inside the gateline for the rest of the tube station.

But, you could just get the DLR from limehouse or something and go all
the way to waterloo without passing gates..

You can do the same by boarding a WAGN Great Northern, inner or outer
suburban, train at just about any station (subject to the rare on train
check), travelling to Old Street, Northern Line to Bank and W&C to Waterloo.
Having made the journey from Hitchin to Portsmouth recently and not having
my ticket checked until travelling on the Portsmouth train, I know this is
possible.

Old May 13th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"J Lynch" wrote in message

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message oups.com...
As far as I know the passage is inside the gateline - as the gateline
blocks the travelator and the steps, and the other end of the passage
is inside the gateline for the rest of the tube station.

But, you could just get the DLR from limehouse or something and go all
the way to waterloo without passing gates..

You can do the same by boarding a WAGN Great Northern, inner or outer
suburban, train at just about any station (subject to the rare on train
check), travelling to Old Street, Northern Line to Bank and W&C to

Waterloo.
Having made the journey from Hitchin to Portsmouth recently and not having
my ticket checked until travelling on the Portsmouth train, I know this is
possible.

I thought they have ticket gates at Bank (at all points into the W&C)

And Waterloo has RPI staioned there at least once a month.

A.

Old May 14th 05, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:05:21 +0100, "londoncityslicker"
wrote:

"J Lynch" wrote in message

[...]

No, the gates are only in line with entrance from the surface. You
can interchgange between the Northern or Central and the W&C and not
hit any at all. This is significant in that it's possible to get
_onto_ the Northern from, say, WAGN services into Moorgate or Old
Street without having to go through barriers, either.

And Waterloo has RPI staioned there at least once a month.

When the Piccadilly goes pear-shaped, I usually go into Moorgate via
WAGN, Northern to Bank, then W&C to Waterloo. Okay, it's only an
occasional journey, but I've never encountered any RPIs (although
obviously it's legitimately covere by my T/card).

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old May 15th 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I bought a travelcard the other day, and did Vauxhall - Waterloo - Bank
(W&C) - Canning Town - North Woolwich. There were barriers between the
Bank platform and the sloping travelator.

Old May 15th 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Google groups won't let me do that.

Yes it will. If you use the reply option in the additional options
bit (can't remember the exact wording) it does.

Or just copy and paste the appropiate bit

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old May 15th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 May 2005 09:50:14 -0700, "ONscotland"
wrote:

I bought a travelcard the other day, and did Vauxhall - Waterloo - Bank
(W&C) - Canning Town - North Woolwich. There were barriers between the
Bank platform and the sloping travelator.

But there aren't between the W&C and Northern platforms at Bank, if
you go via the subway to the right (when exiting) of the Travelator
(with the stairs inbetween). I think the same route can get you to
the DLR platforms without hitting a barrier, but don't quote me on
that.

Old May 22nd 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mark Brader)
wrote:

I have a question about the waterloo & city line.

At waterloo ...you can walk in from the street and just go straight to
the platforms after going down a slope.

At bank, you can either go down the travelator or the sloped steps, to
the platforms, from the street.

But ...there doesnt seem to be any sort of booking hall before you get
there, or anywhere where one could have been.

So what I was wondering was whether when it was built over 100 years
ago, the line was free, or ...?

"A History of London Transport" says that the opening of the line was
delayed by the need to complete the "subsurface booking-hall" at City
(now Bank) station. I guess this means it was at the top of the long
sloping passage, even if there doesn't seem to be a place there now.

I clearly remember a ticket window on the side of the passage near the
top there.

I can't find anything about ticket issuing at Waterloo. Given that
the line was mainly intended for passengers connecting from LSWR
services terminating there, who would be using through tickets, it
seems entirely possible to me that the relatively few W&C passengers
originating at Waterloo would have had to buy tickets at the main-
line booking office.

Have to agree there.

As to ticket checking, there could of course have been a barrier at
any point before the platforms. The main Waterloo station actually
had no barriers until 1910 -- passengers on incoming trains had their
tickets taken at the last stop *before* Waterloo, by staff working on
the platform. But I doubt that ticket collection on the platform would
have been practical for the W&C.

There may have been booths by the platform exits at Waterloo IIRC.

--
Colin Rosenstiel