Old October 3rd 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Drain is s***

Is there any reason as to why the Drain (Waterloo & City) is so
f***ing poor? My last three journeys in the last 36 hours have
incurred a "suspended" line. Wasn't the reason it closed down for five
months in April 06 was to make it reliable? They also have the longest
shut down at night.

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

Old October 3rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"elyob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any reason as to why the Drain (Waterloo & City) is so
f***ing poor? My last three journeys in the last 36 hours have
incurred a "suspended" line. Wasn't the reason it closed down for five
months in April 06 was to make it reliable? They also have the longest
shut down at night.

Your quite right, and I have asked this question time and time again...

But when it was closed they didn't re-signal, and I'm not sure if the put in
new leeky feeder for the radios.

The last problem I had was a couple of days ago, and that was the tunnel
radio system was down - the result is trains don't run as its not safe...

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

That depends.

We still use both in the mornings, although its more often 7.

The normal gates can be used for paper tickets? I'm not sure I understand
that part. I have a paper gold card and have no problems. What they always
do is switch the exit gates around in the evenings and change which
trav-o-lator if going up. (This is always fun when the far gates are set for
exit and the nearside trav-o-lator is going up.

As for 'inspectors' or revenue staff, the last time I saw them down there
they are always round just inside the tunnel to the central line to catch
them naughty people who don't pay to use the drain, then travel onwards to
another 'open' station.

Old October 3rd 07, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 3, 5:48 pm, elyob wrote:
Is there any reason as to why the Drain (Waterloo & City) is so
f***ing poor? My last three journeys in the last 36 hours have
incurred a "suspended" line. Wasn't the reason it closed down for five
months in April 06 was to make it reliable? They also have the longest
shut down at night.

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

The problems this week have been caused by no green (or it might have
been red aspect!) on a signal, points failure and the new connect
radio failing everyday this week. Only the first two would be fully
down to the Infraco, the latter will either be the Infraco or the
Connect PFI!

Still not a great service though - So much for the upgrades then!

Old October 4th 07, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"chunky munky" wrote in message
ps.com...

The problems this week have been caused by no green (or it might have
been red aspect!) on a signal, points failure and the new connect
radio failing everyday this week. Only the first two would be fully
down to the Infraco, the latter will either be the Infraco or the
Connect PFI!

Still not a great service though - So much for the upgrades then!

So they did get connect working then... I presume you still have the old kit
? Therefore it raises the question if 'so what if connect fails' Do you
actually know what happened to it?

Old October 4th 07, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 3, 6:04 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Well, this just leads onto more questions .... why platform 7? AFAIK
there are two platforms at either end .... where did the other three
appear from to make seven?

What I meant r.e. the paper tickets, is the luggage door should be
opened up on the left for non-oyster tickets. There is such a scrum to
get out, that any extra exit space would be useful. It's happened once
or twice in the last few months, and it should be every day.

What's the timings of the trains in the morning? Is it "once there's
enough people" or is there actually a timetable. Not that it really
matters.

Ta

p.s. all well the last two journeys.

Old October 4th 07, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 4, 10:01 am, elyob wrote:
On Oct 3, 6:04 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"elyob" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Platform 7 of Bank platforms? I'm guessing the platforms are numbered
r.e. the station and not the line?

Old October 4th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

On 04/10/2007 10:30, elyob wrote:
On Oct 4, 10:01 am, elyob wrote:

On Oct 3, 6:04 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"elyob" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

At the Waterloo end 1 is arrivals and the other for departures - It
makes things nice and easy for people.

What I meant r.e. the paper tickets, is the luggage door should be
opened up on the left for non-oyster tickets. There is such a scrum to
get out, that any extra exit space would be useful. It's happened once
or twice in the last few months, and it should be every day.

Yes I agree to a point, but there is often comment about staff not
opening the manual gate, I think it depends who is on duty and the risk
of a mad rush for the open gate. The problem of the rush is made worse
by the ever changing exit configuration as I described above.

What's the timings of the trains in the morning? Is it "once there's
enough people" or is there actually a timetable. Not that it really
matters.

There is a WTT, but I'm not sure what it says. Trains in the morning and
evening peek are generally every 2 or 3 mins apart with the drivers
playing 'ping pong' at either end of the line. (So the drive that brings
the train into bank, will take out the next departure.

Ta

p.s. all well the last two journeys.

Platform 7 of Bank platforms? I'm guessing the platforms are numbered
r.e. the station and not the line?

Yep Platform 7 is at the Bank end - its the left hand platform. (Which
we left from again this morning. I have never looked, but I presume the
other platforms at Bank are something like Central line is 1&2, with the
other end of the complex having 3,4,5&6 I'm sure someone on here will
know for certain. I only ever use the Bank end of the complex and don't
pay attention to platform numbers normally.
Old October 4th 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"elyob" wrote in message
oups.com...

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

Are they the customers who have a paper travelcard in a plastic wallet and
can't be ar**ed to remove it to pass it through the ticket gate. I think a
few of them come from Basingstoke...

Paul

Old October 4th 07, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Q wrote:

Yep Platform 7 is at the Bank end - its the left hand platform. (Which
we left from again this morning. I have never looked, but I presume the
other platforms at Bank are something like Central line is 1&2, with the
other end of the complex having 3,4,5&6 I'm sure someone on here will
know for certain. I only ever use the Bank end of the complex and don't
pay attention to platform numbers normally.

Central Line platforms are 1 and 2, Northern Line are 3 (SB) and 4 (NB)
and DLR platforms are 9 and 10 for departures and arrivals respectively.
7 and 8 are Waterloo & City Line as you say and IIRC 5 and 6 are the
Circle/District Line platforms at Monument Station.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old October 4th 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

On 04/10/2007 11:39, Paul Scott wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message
oups.com...

While I'm at it, why do they only use one platform at the Bank end,
and why can't the ticket inspectors open the gate for "paper ticket"
customers to escape?

Are they the customers who have a paper travelcard in a plastic wallet and
can't be ar**ed to remove it to pass it through the ticket gate. I think a
few of them come from Basingstoke...

Paul

It might be those people!

I don't have a problem with my ticket and its little plastic wallet, its
a bit slower then an oyster, but it works just fine (Even though you
can't read the text on the ticket any more as its so worn.