Old May 8th 05, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's Integrated Transport Policy

There are two ways to travel into London. One is by car and the other is by
train.

Travelling by car is discouraged by the Congestion Charge. Especially as
there is talk of expanding the catchment area as well. They obviously want
you to catch public transport.

Anyone who uses public transport (trains) can tell you that the system is
nearly full already - this is confirmed by reports that some train operators
are considering increasing the ticket prices to reduce the number of people
on the trains back to a manageable level (as if using a supply/demand model
can work on a public service - where do they get these boffins??!!)

Has anyone in London heard of an "Intergrated Transport Policy" or something
similar? Or are we, the punters, going to get shafted both ways with the
above proposals. There are too many people in London, no one is doubting
that - I just wish they would have the balls to come out and say it - "We
want you to leave - we're full".

Old May 8th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:10:46 +0000 (UTC), "Mick"
wrote:

"We
want you to leave - we're full".

I've long said there should be serious tax breaks for companies
relocating their HQs out of London to other cities, particularly in
the North. London, quite simply, *is* too full, and it is ludicrous
that the situation has arisen whereby some people are having to travel
two hours up each way to/from work on a daily basis.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old May 8th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Agreed.

Has it ever been discussed politically? I know other countries that do this
quite actively - and it would surely have a flow in effect in terms of
increasing economic activitiy in other parts of the country and help reduce
the extra amount employers have to pay employees to work in London...
effectivly reducing the north/south divide - which must be a good thing.

To be fair - there are some areas that have done this - ie Reading IT
centre.

Old May 8th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mick wrote:
[...]

THe whole of the UK lacks a coherent planning and transport policy. London
is not unique, merely different..

Old May 8th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mick" wrote in message
Anyone who uses public transport (trains) can tell you that the system is
nearly full already

I disagree. I rarely travel in to London on a train where all seats are
occupied, and the same applies coming out, often right in the height of the
evening peak. Furthermore plenty of these trains are 4- or 8-cars long,
despite parts of the infrastructure being capable of handling 12.

Old May 8th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Mick" wrote in message
Anyone who uses public transport (trains) can tell you that the
system is nearly full already

I disagree. I rarely travel in to London on a train where all seats
are occupied, and the same applies coming out, often right in the
height of the evening peak. Furthermore plenty of these trains are 4-
or 8-cars long, despite parts of the infrastructure being capable of
handling 12.

The fact remains that some train operators are looking at ways to reduce the
number of people wishing to travel by increasing ticket prices - I don't
have references, but read this in one of the newspapers last week. This
therefore comfirms that these operators feel that their trains are "nearly
full". You're lucky if you can get a seat on your train - you obviously
don't travel on my line during peak hours.

Old May 8th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mick wrote:

The fact remains that some train operators are looking at ways to

reduce the
number of people wishing to travel by increasing ticket prices - I

don't
have references, but read this in one of the newspapers last week.

This
therefore comfirms that these operators feel that their trains are

"nearly
full". You're lucky if you can get a seat on your train - you

obviously
don't travel on my line during peak hours.

Lucky if you get a seat? More like lucky if you can squeeze in and the
doors still close

Old May 9th 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Terry Harper" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 May 2005 08:51:51 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

I've long said there should be serious tax breaks
for companies relocating their HQs out of London
to other cities, particularly in the North.

Maybe HMG should be the first to reduce the tax burden
by doing this with its own offices? Maybe even outsourcing
to India or further afield?

Well, the MOD has been outsourced to Washington DC.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped