Old June 27th 07, 09:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default New Prime Minister - New Transport Policy?

On Jun 27, 12:39 pm, Ian wrote:
On 27 Jun, 20:33, The Good Doctor wrote:

So Gordon is in No. 10 at last.

What changes will we see in transport policy, especially towards rail?

If oly we had an ex-civil servant who kept banging on about his inside
contacts here we might know better

My guess: much more PFI.

Ian

My guess: We have an anouncement on Crossrail soon.

Adrian

Old June 27th 07, 09:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Jun 27, 10:04 pm, "Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS"
wrote:
My guess: We have an anouncement on Crossrail soon.

It already has the government's full support - the current hurdle is
getting it through parliament, which isn't really something you can
announce. I don't think any progress can be made until there's been a
few months of consultation whatnot over the recent Woolwich changes.
The only thing Brown could announce is scrapping it.

The Thameslink Programme, on the other hand...

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/

Old June 27th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

oups.com...
wrote:
My guess: We have an anouncement on Crossrail soon.

It already has the government's full support - the current hurdle is
getting it through parliament, which isn't really something you can
announce. I don't think any progress can be made until there's been a
few months of consultation whatnot over the recent Woolwich changes.
The only thing Brown could announce is scrapping it.

That should lead to a few questions about rail policy differences between
Scotland and England - is it the Alloa - Kincardine route that goes through
or near Brown's constituency?

Paul

Old June 27th 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Paul Scott" wrote

That should lead to a few questions about rail policy differences between
Scotland and England - is it the Alloa - Kincardine route that goes

through
or near Brown's constituency?

AIUI not through, or even very close to his constituency - but by taking the
coal trains for Kincardine Power Station away from the Forth Bridge it
should improve the performance of the passenger trains which do serve
Kirkcaldy.

Peter

Old June 27th 07, 11:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

AIUI not through, or even very close to his constituency - but by taking the
coal trains for Kincardine Power Station away from the Forth Bridge it
should improve the performance of the passenger trains which do serve
Kirkcaldy.

Peter

Are EWS et al still threatening to boycott the Alloa Line? For those
not aware, NR appear to be charging a premium for access to the line
for freight operators even though it isn't exactly a highly desirable
alternative routing for them. It might make more sense to charge a
premium for the bridge route.

As for discrepancies in transport policy between Westminster and
Holyrood, what of it exactly? The PM has no authority to alter the
way the Scots parliament chooses to spend it's allocation of funds.
If it appears to observers south of the border that transport projects
are getting more backing in Scotland than in England, then less money
will have to be spent on something else in England, as it is in
Scotland, in order to fund the rail network expansion.

You get ought for nought, it's all give and take, quid pro quo etc.
The M8 is a motorway?? Where?!?

Old June 28th 07, 02:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS wrote:
My guess: We have an anouncement on Crossrail soon.

The announcement will feature 'cross' and 'rail' in it alright - as in
'rail passengers become very cross' - if this story is to be believed;

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1996604.ece

"Train fares will rise by several times the rate of inflation under a
series of deals between the Government and rail companies designed to
take advantage of record growth in demand for rail travel."

ESB
Old June 28th 07, 07:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:
My guess: We have an anouncement on Crossrail soon.

It already has the government's full support - the current hurdle is
getting it through parliament,

Why should the government revert to the outdated practice of consulting
Parliament? You'll probably find that there's been an "enabling order"
which means that that's the last thing they'll do.

--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old June 28th 07, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 28, 2:26 am, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
You're having a laugh surely? They have agreed no public funding at all.

Sorry, should have been clearer - I meant it has full support for
getting it past the current stage, and there's not a lot Brown could
do to expedite that.

Old June 28th 07, 08:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Ian Ian is offline

wrote:
My guess: We have an anouncement on Crossrail soon.

It already has the government's full support ...

.... but not "support" in the sense of "financial backing". And if
there is one thing Mr Brown is good at, it's recognizing a monumental
waste of money when he sees one.

Hmm. Let's see. Electrify every main line in the UK, or build a tunnel
to make it slightly easier to commute from Maidenhead to Canary Wharf?
Tough call.

Ian