Old May 13th 05, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 73 - no longer better from every angle

no, that's like saying that hydrochloric acid is a better confectionary
because it contains zero sugar

Old May 13th 05, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

lonelytraveller wrote:
no, that's like saying that hydrochloric acid is a better

confectionary
because it contains zero sugar

I presume you were replying to my post (please include some context in
future)

How precisely is comparing two buses like comparing HCl to
confectionary?

Old May 13th 05, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route displays (was: Route 73 - no longer better from every angle)

asdf wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 13 May 2005:

I agree. An LED display would have to be *very* high resolution to
even approach the legibility of a blind.

All the same, there is no reason not to have the technology _inside_ the
buses. But then, London Transport and its successors always have been
several years behind the times - the sign which lights up when someone
presses the bell to request the next stop was in use in buses in Paris
in the early 1970s, and probably before, while they did not come into
use in London until the 1980s (I remember thinking "What a good idea!"
when I first saw the signs in Paris buses). And advertising/display
screens are only just coming into a few London buses now - they've been
in Paris ones for several years!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 13th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route displays

Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:19:25 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Yes, an LED display is programmable and therefore wins on cost and
flexibility when it has to be changed. And multiple displays on
the same bus or train can all be made to change at once. But the
roller blind still wins hands down in terms of legibility, it seems
to me, and that's worth quite a bit.

I disagree - I find LEDs (as distinct from flipdot displays) far
easier to read from a distance than blinds due to the very high
contrast. Because they are operationally easier, as well, it is more
likely that they will be set correctly, which given that nobody is
pefect is a significant benefit.

I very rarely see an incorrectly-set blind. Sometimes buses stop short
of the terminus listed, but in those cases it seems to be a decision
taken whilst I am already on board, so I can't see when the destination
changes - in that case, an internal LED would be useful.

I see little legibility difference between the high-contrast LEDs in use
in some cities, and the blinds used in London. However, I find that
operators tend to over-use the external LEDs, having them display
alternate information (e.g. terminus / intermediate stops), which I
think is extremely irritating - you have to stare at the display for
longer as a bus approaches to take in all the information. In that
respect, I find TfL blinds superior. I appreciate that some people may
prefer the possibility of "extra" information on the LEDs, but I just
find it annoying.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old May 13th 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The bendies seem to do a perfectly good job of setting fire to
themselves - they don't need us to intervene ......

Old May 13th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Vastly superior LED technology?

Like when displays are invisible in bright sunlight, or the diodes burn
out (as on the Central Line trains) and in all cases the letters and
numerals are depicted in a clumsy, angular script? (And never mind the
fact that they often don't show up on photographs either.)

Roll-on (literally) roller blinds, and while we're at it let's return
to the proper colours of black and WHITE too!

Old May 13th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

It would be nice if it was used to announce the next stop - I've only
heard this done once. It would also have been better if TfL had moved
on from their archaic insistence on the use of roller blinds, when the
rest of the country has moved onto the vastly superior LED technology,
and installed an integrated passenger information system with internal
LEDs showing next stop and route information.

The technology exists, and has done for *many* years. It's not even
that expensive, and it is well-proven.

Neil

There was a bendy demonstrator on the 436 earlier this week. It looked
just like every other bus on the route except it had a very bright
orange LED destination display. I can't recall whether it listed
intermediate places like the roller blinds do, but what it did show was
clear and quite eye-catching.

Cheers,

Steve

Old May 14th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 May 2005 11:12:39 +0100, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

when I first saw the signs in Paris buses). And advertising/display
screens are only just coming into a few London buses now - they've been
in Paris ones for several years!

You seem to be assuming that's a good thing. They had them years ago
in Sheffield, but nobody learned the lesson, it seems.
Old May 14th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:11:34 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

I see little legibility difference between the high-contrast LEDs in use
in some cities, and the blinds used in London. However, I find that
operators tend to over-use the external LEDs, having them display
alternate information (e.g. terminus / intermediate stops), which I
think is extremely irritating - you have to stare at the display for
longer as a bus approaches to take in all the information.

This was certainly the case in Leeds a few years ago (they may have
changed it since). The buses run by First had a dot matrix display up
front (I think it was reflective/mechanical, rather than LEDs), but
rather than remain static with the number/destination, they changed to
show the conceit of which "line" (i.e. basic route, but with obvious
variations) it was, as well. It was not unusual to have the wait
almost until the last minute to work out exactly what number an
approaching bus actually was.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk