Old May 31st 05, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default CTRL St Pancras - Exhumed Bodies

What follows sounds pretty gorey - I wonder if similar care was taken
during the Midland constuction:

E.D. Wivens wrote:
In 'The Condition of the Working-class in England in 1844'Friedrich
Engels describes the building of a railway *through* the pauper burial
ground on the banks of the River Irk near Manchester.

His description of the works, (which included some pile-driving
operations), ends "The disgusting brutality which accompanied this
work I cannot describe in further detail."

(original post at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....06a01d61?hl=en)

Old May 31st 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article .com,
wrote:

Ian Johnston wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:40:18 UTC, "Mizter T"
wrote:
When on Thameslink it's certainly an odd to think that you're
travelling through a burial ground.

Could have been worse ... "the old Indian burial ground" ... wooooooo

Perhaps that's why they're too scared to fit out the station...

Is it too soon to jump in with "I'd have gotten away with if it hadn't
been for you pesky kids"?

Sam
Old May 31st 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

Dave Arquati wrote:

The OP was talking about more bodies being exhumed during the CTRL
works recently, in addition to those originally exhumed for the
construction of the Midland.

Quite.

The Midland went over and the connection to the Metropolitan went under
St Pancras and St Giles's Churchyards.

I was under the impression that the CTRL cuts new ground through St
Pancras Churchyard.

Old May 31st 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Sam Wilson wrote:

wrote:

When on Thameslink it's certainly an odd to think that you're
travelling through a burial ground.

Could have been worse ... "the old Indian burial ground" ... wooooooo

Perhaps that's why they're too scared to fit out the station...

Is it too soon to jump in with "I'd have gotten away with if it hadn't
been for you pesky kids"?

fx: pulls of rubber face
It's Sam Wilson, the old hotel manager!

Robin

Old May 31st 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , R.C. Payne
wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:

wrote:

When on Thameslink it's certainly an odd to think that you're
travelling through a burial ground.

Could have been worse ... "the old Indian burial ground" ... wooooooo

Perhaps that's why they're too scared to fit out the station...

Is it too soon to jump in with "I'd have gotten away with if it hadn't
been for you pesky kids"?

fx: pulls of rubber face
It's Sam Wilson, the old hotel manager!

Oi, you leave my rubber face out of this!

Sam

Old May 31st 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote:
From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
Midland had ploughed up corpses to build its tracks, so the new work
unearthed further remains. In fact, no fewer than 7,000 bodies came
out of the ground just north of the station.'

Were there really so many bodies found? When I asked a CTRL
lecturer last year whether any bodies had been unearthed the answer
was ' yes, a few'. I wonder which report is accurate.

There were a number of reports about this in 2002-03. For example,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2516907.stm .
In Parliament on 23 Jan 2003, a junior transport minister said that "it
is estimated that the remains of up to 8,000 bodies will be removed from
the site".
http://www.publications.parliament.u...t/30123w23.htm

--
Richard J.

Old June 1st 05, 07:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:37:06 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
Midland had ploughed up corpses to build its tracks, so the new work
unearthed further remains. In fact, no fewer than 7,000 bodies came
out of the ground just north of the station.'

Were there really so many bodies found? When I asked a CTRL lecturer
last year whether any bodies had been unearthed the answer was ' yes,
a few'. I wonder which report is accurate.

The Sunday Times article is ambiguous - I think the 7000 is meant to refer
to the original construcion of the Midland Railway, but it could be read to
refer to the CTRL.

That is how I read it. It continues ' Most were from the 18th
century; one was a French archbishop, probably an escapee from the
revolution. Modern mores required that they all be treated with
respect. "We had to match them up and re-bury them last year," says
Tim Smart, acronymic client manager, "we had the local clergy along
and re-interred them in East Finchley cemetery. '. (See
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...860_3,00.html).

I don't believe that 7000 bodies could be reburied without some major
fuss arising. I will attempt to get an answer from CTRL public
relations.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old June 1st 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote:

"We had to match them up and re-bury them last year," says
Tim Smart, acronymic client manager, "we had the local clergy along
and re-interred them in East Finchley cemetery. '. (See
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...860_3,00.html).

Does anyone know what an "acronymic client manager" is?

Andy Kirkham

Old June 1st 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Andy Kirkham wrote:

Does anyone know what an "acronymic client manager" is?

You have to read the piece to understand the context!

"...Over the next few years, much hard work was done on the project.
Many vital, mission-critical abbreviations had to be constructed. It is
a task that engineers love, and the resulting alphabetical thicket,
delivered in time and on budget, is engineering at its best..."

"...RLE, URN, CORBER, LUL, PPP, DfT, MRSSC, CTW, WA, DA, SRA..."

Old June 1st 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

There were a number of reports about this in 2002-03. For example,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2516907.stm .
In Parliament on 23 Jan 2003, a junior transport minister said that "it
is estimated that the remains of up to 8,000 bodies will be removed from
the site".
http://www.publications.parliament.u...t/30123w23.htm

That's fascinating. I'm surprised I've heard so little about this in
the newspapers and on the broadcast news, I'd have expected more
controversy. The CTRL team seemed to have managed to keep it pretty
hush hush.

Bank bodies webmaster London Transport 6 August 30th 04 11:39 AM
CTRL Paul Weaver London Transport 1 August 4th 04 03:49 PM
CTRL Breakout chris London Transport 26 February 4th 04 01:44 AM
CTRL Section 2 aerial photos John Rowland London Transport 1 November 16th 03 09:36 AM
Is the CTRL the first new railway in Britian since 1900? Michael Bell London Transport 4 October 2nd 03 06:41 PM