Old June 19th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

But then the last cycle I bought contributed around five times more
in tax to the country's coffers than most people pay in VED :-(

Eh? You spent FIVE AND A HALF GRAND ON A BICYCLE?

Nope.

puzzled
But you said you did.

The VAT on a £5,500 bicycle would be £819, which is (slightly under) five
times the £165 VED.

So he is assuming he is running a car for five years? hence five lots of
VED?

After all, you only pay the VAT on a bike once.

Same as you only pay the VAT on a car once .,..... and a lot more than that
on a pushbike .....

--
IanH

Old June 20th 05, 05:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"John Ray" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

BTW, I think you'll find the definition of "road" includes the
pavement.

Ah, so that's why so many cyclists seem to think that they are entitled
to ride on the pavement.

As a cyclist (who doesn't use the pavements!) it astounds me that many
police forces now actively ENCOURAGE cyclists to use what we used to term
'the footpath', for their own safety.

Depends on circumstances. Some places, traffic density is so high it's
better to segregate slower traffic from faster traffic.

OTOH, as a cyclist, why is it that when discrete footpaths and cyclepaths
are provided (even with grass strips between them), with clear signage on
the asphalt and on lamp-posts, half-witted pedestrians (usually with prams
and pushchairs) STILL insist on jay-walking along the cyclepath, then
having
the audacity to verbally harangue any cyclists with the temerity to ask if
they can pass?

because some peds are just as ignorant as *some* cyclists?

The bottom line is that, whether pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, there
is bad practise and intolerance between all groups. Ultimately, better
roadcraft, less arrogance and more consideration for other parties would
improve everybodys day!

Agreed wholeheartedly.

It just seems a pity that so many of the more vociferous cyclists are also
"contributing" to this, and other, threads - their sheer number trying to
assign some justification for their arrogance and ignorance...... they twist
words....they are totally unable to see the other POV ...either on the road,
or on the forums.

--
IanH

Old June 20th 05, 05:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
chris harrison ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I've never spent five grand on a car.
I've only once spent more than HALF that on a car.

You are not average in this regard amongst car drivers ....

And five grand is an average bicycle?

Also not average, but not unimaginable.

So where did "average" come into it? Although I'd suspect that it's *FAR*
more common to buy inexpensive cars than expensive bikes...

It goes a lot further than that same 5 grand spent on a car

How? Seriously - genuine question. I'm *baffled* about what a £5k bike
will
do that a £500 one won't.

If the LCLs can afford to pay 5 grand on a pushbike, then they can afford to
pay for registration, licencing, VED, safety testing, etc.

)
--
IanH

Old June 20th 05, 06:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

ian henden ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Same as you only pay the VAT on a car once .,..... and a lot more than
that on a pushbike .....

Absolutely...
Old June 20th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, ian henden wrote:

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

As a cyclist (who doesn't use the pavements!) it astounds me that many
police forces now actively ENCOURAGE cyclists to use what we used to
term 'the footpath', for their own safety.

Depends on circumstances. Some places, traffic density is so high it's
better to segregate slower traffic from faster traffic.

Absolutely, but once you've got them away from the slower-moving traffic,
isn't the pavement the worst place to put the bikes?

tom

--
As Emiliano Zapata supposedly said, "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees." And years after he died, Marlon Brando played him in a movie. So just think, if you unionize, Marlon Brando might play YOU in a movie. Even though he's dead. -- ChrisV82

Old June 20th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 20 Jun 2005:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, ian henden wrote:

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

As a cyclist (who doesn't use the pavements!) it astounds me that
many police forces now actively ENCOURAGE cyclists to use what
we used to term 'the footpath', for their own safety.

Depends on circumstances. Some places, traffic density is so high it's
better to segregate slower traffic from faster traffic.

Absolutely, but once you've got them away from the slower-moving
traffic, isn't the pavement the worst place to put the bikes?

In Germany they seem to manage with far more segregated pedestrian/cycle
lanes - usually wide enough to accommodate both, unless you have an
exceptionally large party of cyclists coming along (school group, or
something). My husband was most envious of the provision there.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 20th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, ian henden wrote:

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

As a cyclist (who doesn't use the pavements!) it astounds me that many
police forces now actively ENCOURAGE cyclists to use what we used to
term 'the footpath', for their own safety.

Depends on circumstances. Some places, traffic density is so high it's
better to segregate slower traffic from faster traffic.

Absolutely, but once you've got them away from the slower-moving traffic,
isn't the pavement the worst place to put the bikes?

Depends on circumstances. Where there is high ped traffic, then you would
probably find a seperate cycle facility. Where ped traffic is light or even
almost nonexistant, then shared facility is adequate. Does rely on people
having some common sense, though, peds as well as cyclist.

A blind ped isn't going to recognise markings seperaing the cyclists half
from the peds half, for a start. Cyclist, of course, will recognise this
problem and treat the ped with appropriate respect.

--
IanH

Old June 20th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message , ian henden
writes
A blind ped isn't going to recognise markings seperaing the cyclists
half from the peds half, for a start. Cyclist, of course, will
recognise this problem and treat the ped with appropriate respect.

You hope. I doubt.
--
Clive