Old June 14th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ipswich - Basingstoke Services

What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a good
cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden Road a
couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you think
they will be reintroduced?

Old June 14th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Baffobear wrote:
What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a good
cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden Road a
couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you think
they will be reintroduced?

Not a chance. They were dependent on some sort of SRA grant which was
withdrawn after a year and has now been scrapped, and the few times I
tried them out I was about the only passenger. The journey from
Stratford to Brentford on the NLL was painfully slow, as well, which
probably contributed to its demise.

Old June 14th 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Baffobear wrote:

What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a good
cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden Road a
couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you think they
will be reintroduced?

Yes, it's now called 'Crossrail'.

As has been pointed out, the service was actually monstrously slow, so,
although it was a nice idea and fairly convenient, it wasn't really better
than changing. Also, it involves the North London line, where the little
capacity left over after the current passenger and freight trains is soon
(for some value of 'soon') to be gobbled up by Ken's space programme [1].

tom

[1] Something about orbital journeys, right? I bet they'll have Met-style
extra zones for it, though, the tight *******s. It'll probably be at least
a tenner to the moon.

--
Hit to death in the future head
Old June 16th 05, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

[1] Something about orbital journeys, right? I bet they'll have Met-style
extra zones for it, though, the tight *******s. It'll probably be at least
a tenner to the moon.

AIUI, the reason for the extra zones on the Met Line is because those
stations are outside Greater London and Herts & Bucks CC provide
minimal (if any) financial support for those services.

Old June 16th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Joe wrote:

[1] Something about orbital journeys, right? I bet they'll have Met-style
extra zones for it, though, the tight *******s. It'll probably be at least
a tenner to the moon.

AIUI, the reason for the extra zones on the Met Line is because those
stations are outside Greater London and Herts & Bucks CC provide minimal
(if any) financial support for those services.

I see. So cheap access to space depends on the public transport policies
of the cislunar local authorities?

8)

tom

--
The few survivors on ousfg's side ended up in a monastery of immortal monks who yearned for a life better than street-fighting social groups, learning to grow extra hands and feet on the way to immortality. -- Lyndsey Pickup
Old June 17th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Baffobear wrote:

What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a good
cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden Road a
couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you think they
will be reintroduced?

Heres a report I wrote about the journey in 2001

Rob

Old June 17th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Baffobear wrote:

What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a good
cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden Road a
couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you think
they
will be reintroduced?

Heres a report I wrote about the journey in 2001

An interesting report. The only time I travelled that way was once when I'd
been to Stratford and was returning home to Ascot - I thought I'd try the
Crosslink rather than going into London and across to Waterloo - a big
mistake!

The train was a nice new 170 - first time I'd been on one of those. I was
pleasantly surprised at the amount of legroom although it was frustrating
that the ventilators along the floor below the window are sloping so you
can't rest one foot on them - consequently I was sitting at an angle which
was uncomfortable. Unfortunately it was a scorching hot day, all the windows
were sealed shut - and the air-conditioning had packed up... Consequently
the train was extremely hot - verging on unbearable. The train ambled along
through Hackney Wick and Dalston, going slower than even the NLL trains,
even if it didn't stop at intermediate stations.

People were beginning to feel faint because of the heat. When the train got
to its next stop after Stratford (it might have been Camden Road - I forgot)
a lot of people got out and I heard a couple near me say "Come on, we're
getting off - can't stand this heat any more". The guard was well aware of
the problem and he was very concerned, but there was not a lot that he could
do. He did make an announcement as we were approaching the next station that
passengers might want to get off and wait for a NLL service. When the train
was held up at one station, I overheard the guard talking on his intercom to
the driver, saying "For Christ's sake open the doors till we're ready to set
off - we've got passengers melting back here!"

Finally we trundled down towards Kew, with a lot of stop-start-crawl-stop. I
was interested to look out for the rarely-used curve between the NLL and the
Hounslow Loop near Kew Bridge station. I can't say I noticed the semaphore
signals, though. Having left the NLL, the train speeded up considerably and
covered the remaining section to Feltham at a respectable time. At Feltham,
where I got off to change for my Ascot train, I was amused to see a huge guy
in a train-spotter's anorak standing on the opposite platform and shouting
out "the train now approaching" announcements; I'm sure he wasn't a railway
employee. At one point, the station PA announced a train and the announcer
humorously said "This is just to correct my 'friend' on the platform who
seems to have set himself up in competition"!

So it was a memorable journey - but not for the right reasons. On a train
with air-conditioning, there really does need to be some way of getting
emergency ventilation if the air-con packs up. Oh for real trains with slam
doors and drop-light windows! The crawl along the NLL was pathetic. My train
had left at the published time, so it wasn't as if it was late and had
missed its path, so I don't know what the problem was. I think the NLL line
speed problem would have been one of the main reasons why the service wasn't
particularly well patronised.

Old June 18th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Baffobear wrote:

What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a
good cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden
Road a couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you
think they will be reintroduced?

Heres a report I wrote about the journey in 2001

Most entertaining, thanks for that!

I tried to imagine myself in the position of an Ipswich resident,
fearfull of the big city, knowing this train would take them to
Basingstoke without risk of contamination by the great Wem. Perhaps I
would look in bemused curiosity at St Pancras, the London Eye, the PO
Tower, longing but not daring to approach "I can see the look in your
eye Mabel - put such thoughts out of your mind. There is nothing but
wickedness in this city, wickedness I tell you. This train keeps us
safe". And thats the core market for this service - those who fear
crossing London by underground. Its the yokel special.

Hee!

As the doors shut it turned out that three of them didnt want to be on
the train anyway. One woman wanted Willsden Junction and another
Richmond.

So it didn't call at Willesden Junction? That would seem like a pretty
obvious place to stop, given the interchanginess of it. Still, sounds like
the service was slow enough as it was.

tom

--
If you tolerate this, your children will be next.