Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 17th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Great Central 1948 - 1996

Jack Taylor wrote:

TBH, I can't see anything
getting done to change the situation within the next ten years, at least,
due to the ownership situation of the two sections of line. TfL (or Ken, at
least) have aspirations to seize control of the Aylesbury services - but I
can foresee a major battle ensuing if that were attempted.

You are probably right. Although, I am not entirely sure why. I am a
lifelong GC fan who grew up near Aylesbury. And, I have a soft spot
for the old met. So from a nostalgic perspective I hate to see any
more dismantling of the old order.

However, let us look at this from Chiltern's viewpoint. By stealth
Chiltern have acquired a main line from London to Birmingham. The
development potential on that line is immense. Chiltern's investment
thus far is paying off. They have a loyal and satisfied customer base.

By comparison to Chiltern's Birmingham route, the Aylesbury "branch"
must be a nuisance. For a major portion of their journey Chiltern's
trains have to share inferior standard track with subway trains.
Chiltern's engineers have to be familiar with two different signaling
systems.

Moreover, TfL's electrification is wasted on Chiltern's diesel fleet.
I would suggest there is room for some strategic planning here. If
Chiltern lost the Aylesbury route it could be a gain for them.

Adrian

Los Angeles County, California
Webmaster http://www.losangelesmetro.net/