London Banter

-   -   London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3138-london-buses-they-got-special.html)

JMUpton2000 June 23rd 05 12:04 AM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Hello

Is it some undeniably daft new regulation or is there some good reason why
an awful lot of Central London buses are now going around with their
headlights seemingly permanently (and IMHO pointlessly) switched on?

Some of the lights are so bright that they are dazzling even in daylight!

Regards
John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections:
South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:
http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/

Bus Pics:
http://gallery42239.fotopic.net/

My Online Novels:
http://www.securitynovels.freeuk.com

Mike Hughes June 23rd 05 03:32 AM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

In message , JMUpton2000
writes
Hello

Is it some undeniably daft new regulation or is there some good reason why
an awful lot of Central London buses are now going around with their
headlights seemingly permanently (and IMHO pointlessly) switched on?

Some of the lights are so bright that they are dazzling even in daylight!

Don't know if this is the real reason for buses doing so, but I use
headlights when travelling down bus lanes in my taxi. This is because
there are so many other drivers who think that they can use the bus lane
with impunity and also on the grounds of safety - at least there is a
better chance that they will see me

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Graham J June 23rd 05 12:52 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Is it some undeniably daft new regulation or is there some good reason why
an awful lot of Central London buses are now going around with their
headlights seemingly permanently (and IMHO pointlessly) switched on?

Perhaps they have a Volvo chassis and like the cars the lights are always
on.

Paul Corfield June 23rd 05 04:06 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:04:49 +0100, "JMUpton2000" security novels @f
ree uk.com wrote:

Hello

Is it some undeniably daft new regulation or is there some good reason why
an awful lot of Central London buses are now going around with their
headlights seemingly permanently (and IMHO pointlessly) switched on?

Some of the lights are so bright that they are dazzling even in daylight!

I understand that permanently illuminated headlights are a feature on
the vehicles of certain operators like Arriva. They found that keeping
the headlights switched on all the time reduced accidents so it is being
done for health and safety reasons.
--
Paul C

Graham Harrison June 23rd 05 05:07 PM

ree uk.com wrote:

Hello

Is it some undeniably daft new regulation or is there some good reason why
an awful lot of Central London buses are now going around with their
headlights seemingly permanently (and IMHO pointlessly) switched on?

Some of the lights are so bright that they are dazzling even in daylight!

I understand that permanently illuminated headlights are a feature on
the vehicles of certain operators like Arriva. They found that keeping
the headlights switched on all the time reduced accidents so it is being
done for health and safety reasons.
--
Paul C

I've driven in countries where headlights are the law and also in parts of
the USA where they are becoming the norm. I like it and I do it (even
though I don't drive a Volvo). Two particular reasons;

1) I was driving in bright sunlight approaching a wood on a narrow road when
a car coming the other way suddenly appeared from the wood (which was in
heavy shadow) and missed me by a whisker. Had he had his lights on I would
have had a better chance of seeing him.
2) When I have driven in places where headlights are the norm I have found
that I spot other vehicles earler than I would otherwise.

Neil Williams June 23rd 05 06:04 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:06:12 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

I understand that permanently illuminated headlights are a feature on
the vehicles of certain operators like Arriva. They found that keeping
the headlights switched on all the time reduced accidents so it is being
done for health and safety reasons.

However, it is actually dangerous for other vehicles because it
artificially (subconsciously) distracts attention towards that vehicle
only, and away from others.

Daytime headlights should either be a legal requirement or switched
off.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Dashe June 23rd 05 06:11 PM

wrote:

I understand that permanently illuminated headlights are a feature on
the vehicles of certain operators like Arriva. They found that keeping
the headlights switched on all the time reduced accidents so it is being
done for health and safety reasons.

However, it is actually dangerous for other vehicles because it
artificially (subconsciously) distracts attention towards that vehicle
only, and away from others.

Daytime headlights should either be a legal requirement or switched
off.

Neil

We have had a ruling in Blackpool for about 18 months now, saying that all
buses must use dipped headlights during daytime. Personally, I *never*
drive with dipped headlights in daylight, except :- Spray conditions (legal
requirement), pedestrianised areas, and bus/taxi only areas.
Dashe

Martin Underwood June 23rd 05 08:04 PM

wrote:

I understand that permanently illuminated headlights are a feature on
the vehicles of certain operators like Arriva. They found that keeping
the headlights switched on all the time reduced accidents so it is being
done for health and safety reasons.

However, it is actually dangerous for other vehicles because it
artificially (subconsciously) distracts attention towards that vehicle
only, and away from others.

Daytime headlights should either be a legal requirement or switched
off.

Neil

We have had a ruling in Blackpool for about 18 months now, saying that all
buses must use dipped headlights during daytime. Personally, I *never*
drive with dipped headlights in daylight, except :- Spray conditions
(legal
requirement), pedestrianised areas, and bus/taxi only areas.

I also use dipped headlights in tunnels and multi-storey car parks. I've
never driven in a pedestrianised area or a bus/taxi lane (it would be
illegal for me) but I can see the sense in authorised vehicles doing this -
at least for the pedestrianised area.

For some reason, the instructions in the Mersey tunnel specifically say
"don't turn on your headlights" which seems strange to me - if you're
driving at night, are you actually expected to turn them off as you enter
the tunnel and remember to turn them back on when you leave? If the exit is
well-illuminated by street lights, it will be very easy to forget to turn
them back on...

I didn't realise that some countries mandated dipped headlights at all
times. I know that some Scandinavian countries mandate side/tail lights.

David Splett June 23rd 05 08:23 PM

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
Don't know if this is the real reason for buses doing so, but I use
headlights when travelling down bus lanes in my taxi. This is because
there are so many other drivers who think that they can use the bus lane
with impunity and also on the grounds of safety - at least there is a
better chance that they will see me

What you really mean is that when you travel down a bus lane to undertake a
load of traffic and then push your way back in front of them there is a
lesser chance that they won't move out the way.

But, yes, following a number of recent incidents I now drive with my
headlights permanently on, and have recently had the car modified so that
they are on by default.

Adrian June 24th 05 09:34 AM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Graham Harrison ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

I've driven in countries where headlights are the law and also in
parts of the USA where they are becoming the norm.

The US is a particularly entertaining case - they've legislated Daytime
Running Lights that come on with the ignition.

But only at the front.

So what they're finding, AIUI, is that more and more people are
"forgetting" to turn their proper lights on as dark approaches - no need,
their lights are on, they can see fine - but, of course, there's no REAR
lights on...

Only in 'merkinland.

Rupert Candy June 24th 05 11:10 AM

Martin Underwood wrote:

For some reason, the instructions in the Mersey tunnel specifically say
"don't turn on your headlights" which seems strange to me - if you're
driving at night, are you actually expected to turn them off as you enter
the tunnel and remember to turn them back on when you leave? If the exit is
well-illuminated by street lights, it will be very easy to forget to turn
them back on...

Bizarre - since on most cars the instrument backlighting is linked to
the headlights, this would also mean you wouldn't be able to see your
speedometer properly. Marvellous.

back on topic I use sidelights or dipped headlights in the Blackwall
Tunnel for exactly that reason. /

Chris Tolley June 24th 05 11:47 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:23:56 +0100, David Splett wrote:

What you really mean is that when you travel down a bus lane to undertake a
load of traffic

He said he drives a taxi. Most bus lanes are available to taxis as well.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13622558.html
(An emergency alert at London King's Cross, May 1999)

Martin Underwood June 24th 05 01:14 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Graham Harrison ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

I've driven in countries where headlights are the law and also in
parts of the USA where they are becoming the norm.

The US is a particularly entertaining case - they've legislated Daytime
Running Lights that come on with the ignition.

But only at the front.

So what they're finding, AIUI, is that more and more people are
"forgetting" to turn their proper lights on as dark approaches - no need,
their lights are on, they can see fine - but, of course, there's no REAR
lights on...

Only in 'merkinland.

Are the daytime running lights sidelights or headlights? I think in Sweden
they're just sidelights (certainly Volvos here only have their sidelights,
not headlights, on permanently). I hadn't realised that any countries
mandated headlights at all times. I wonder what the additional cost in extra
fuel consumption is - mind you, in America they think that gasoline "grows
on trees", don't they - limitless supply at cheap price.

I can't say I'm surprised about the situation in America: they don't require
cars to have front number plates (though many cars do have them) and they
allow cars to have flashing sidelights and tail lights rather than having
separate amber lights for indicators. My sister and her family were
rear-ended while waiting to turn left because the driver behind hadn't
noticed the flashing tail light in amongst all the other lights such as her
tail and brake lights. (I've always wondered what circuitry is required to
flash the side and tail lights while still allowing them to be switched on
and off normally: I checked her car because I was curious and it didn't have
dual-filiament bulbs: one for side light and another for indicator.)

Adrian June 24th 05 01:26 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Martin Underwood ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

The US is a particularly entertaining case - they've legislated
Daytime Running Lights that come on with the ignition.

snip

Only in 'merkinland.

Are the daytime running lights sidelights or headlights?

Not sure.

I think in
Sweden they're just sidelights (certainly Volvos here only have their
sidelights, not headlights, on permanently).

Scandi ones are brighter than sidies - sidies tend to be a 5w bulb, whereas
the Saab/Volvo daytime lights are 21w (or were on proper Saab 900s, IIRC) -
I think most tend to use dip beam now.

I wonder what the additional cost in extra fuel consumption is

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

I can't say I'm surprised about the situation in America: they don't
require cars to have front number plates (though many cars do have
them)

Nor do they have MOTs.

Martin Underwood June 24th 05 01:54 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Martin Underwood ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

The US is a particularly entertaining case - they've legislated
Daytime Running Lights that come on with the ignition.

I think in
Sweden they're just sidelights (certainly Volvos here only have their
sidelights, not headlights, on permanently).

Scandi ones are brighter than sidies - sidies tend to be a 5w bulb,
whereas
the Saab/Volvo daytime lights are 21w (or were on proper Saab 900s,
IIRC) -
I think most tend to use dip beam now.

Ah! I'd assumed that the running lights were conventional 5W sidelight bulbs
rather 21W indicator/brake/fog light bulbs. I presume the sidelight part of
the cluster has a dual-filament bulb: 5W for night and 21W for day. Maybe UK
versions of Volvos etc have been modified so as to use 5W for both purposes.

I wonder what the additional cost in extra fuel consumption is

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

A fascinating and well-reasoned article. Now someone needs to work out how
much extra American cars consume than European cars because almost all of
them are automatic transmission - though set against this is the fact that
US speed limits are lower so consumption will be less on that account.

I can't say I'm surprised about the situation in America: they don't
require cars to have front number plates (though many cars do have
them)

Nor do they have MOTs.

I didn't know that. So once you've bought a new car, is there no requirement
for periodic testing of brakes, suspension, body structure etc throughout
the car's life? Bloody hell!

Mind you, American road rules are very strange: they allow overtaking on
either side (it's quite common to get several lanes of an Interstate all
going at exactly 55 mph, with no relative motion, which makes it very
difficult to change lanes when joining or leaving the road), and cars change
their registration number (IIRC) every time the car is sold to a new owner,
which must make it very difficult to trace the car's history throughout its
life (eg for "has it ever been involved in any accidents" and "is there a
loan outstanding on this car" checks). And then of course there are those
"wonderful" (totally ludicrous) four-way stop junctions where priority is
determined by who arrived first (which different people could have different
opinions on) rather than being determined by position on the road (which is
unambiguous).

On the other hand, I like their concept of having part-time speed limits:
most schools have a reasonable speed limit outside them except at the
beginning and end of the school day when the limit is reduced. Over here
they'd slap on a blanket 30mph limit 24 hours a day :-(

Adrian June 24th 05 02:46 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Martin Underwood ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Ah! I'd assumed that the running lights were conventional 5W sidelight
bulbs rather 21W indicator/brake/fog light bulbs. I presume the
sidelight part of the cluster has a dual-filament bulb: 5W for night
and 21W for day. Maybe UK versions of Volvos etc have been modified so
as to use 5W for both purposes.

On c900s, they were a dual filament - 5w for a switchable "park light"
which stayed on with ignition off, with the 21w coming on with ignition,
unless the fuse was pulled.

of Merkins

Nor do they have MOTs.

I didn't know that. So once you've bought a new car, is there no
requirement for periodic testing of brakes, suspension, body structure
etc throughout the car's life? Bloody hell!

Some states have emissions tests.

cars change their registration number (IIRC) every time the
car is sold to a new owner, which must make it very difficult to trace
the car's history throughout its life

We're actually the oddity in that respect. France has plates which change
whenever it's re-registered into a different department. Germany's similar.

And don't forget that they don't have breathalysers, either - you get
pulled, it's a case of seeing if you can walk down the line and touch your
nose...

David Splett June 24th 05 05:21 PM

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
He said he drives a taxi. Most bus lanes are available to taxis as well.

I know that. Whether they *should* be is another matter, as is whether taxi
drivers use that privilege responsibly.

Mrs Redboots June 24th 05 09:48 PM

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 24 Jun 2005:

A fascinating and well-reasoned article. Now someone needs to work out how
much extra American cars consume than European cars because almost all of
them are automatic transmission - though set against this is the fact that
US speed limits are lower so consumption will be less on that account.

Are they? I mean, when we were in Kansas a couple of months ago, the
local speed limit seemed to be 35 miles on streets and 75 on the
motorway (Interstate). What threw us totally was that these limits were
*obeyed*.... presumably why they can be higher than ours!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Mrs Redboots June 24th 05 09:51 PM

Adrian wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 24 Jun 2005:

We're actually the oddity in that respect. France has plates which change
whenever it's re-registered into a different department. Germany's similar.

France's laws change in 2008, when they will no longer have regional
plates but a format of AA 123 AA, where AA are 2 letters & 123 are 3
numbers. I believe drivers who wish to do so *may* have a regional or
departmental indicator to the right of their number-plate; an "F" in
European stars to the left will be (I think) compulsory. No
personalisation will be possible - you will have to take what you get.

In Belgium, I'm told, the number-plate belongs to the driver, not the
car, and, like our system, personalisation within the limit of the
system is allowed. In the USA, though, some personalisations seemed to
bear no relation at all to the way cars were normally registered!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Jean-Francois Dancre June 25th 05 07:08 AM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

]
Mrs Redboots a écrit :

We're actually the oddity in that respect. France has plates which change
whenever it's re-registered into a different department. Germany's
similar.

France's laws change in 2008, when they will no longer have regional
plates but a format of AA 123 AA, where AA are 2 letters & 123 are 3
numbers. I believe drivers who wish to do so *may* have a regional or
departmental indicator to the right of their number-plate; an "F" in
European stars to the left will be (I think) compulsory. No
personalisation will be possible - you will have to take what you get.

Indeed. This is exactly what I intended to post, only you did it first and
put it better :-) .

I might just add that scooters are already registered with the new
numbering, and have been since January 2004 (their plates are of the form A
123 A [note the single letter at the beginning and the end], to be extended
if/when new plates are needed with the A 123 AA and A 123 AAA series).

--
JFD
www.metro-pole.net -- Unofficial home to Paris' public transport networks

Martin Underwood June 25th 05 08:45 AM

"Jean-Francois Dancre" wrote in message
]
Mrs Redboots a écrit :

[...]

Are Great Britain and the Irish Republic (but not Northern Ireland) very
much in the minority among countries throughout the world in still encoding
the place and year of registration into the registration number? It seems
such an eminently sensible thing for a registration plate to contain
*information* rather than just being a random number that I'm surprised all
countries don't do it. Apparently when the A 123 ABC format in GB was about
to come to the end of its life, the police strongly recommended to the DVLA
that future schemes such as the present AA 12 AAA format should still encode
place and date, because it was often the only thing about a registration
number that witnesses would remember if they glimpsed a car being involved
in an offence - presumably subconsciously they remembered the parts that
actually meant something.

I hadn't realised that some European countries had a system whereby the
registration number was owned by the person, not the car. Does that mean
that when a person passes his driving test and buys his first car, he gets
allocated a number (somewhat akin to a social security number?) that he uses
on all his successive cars throughout his life? Their equivalent of the DVLA
must be kept very busy recording all the changes of registration number
applied to cars as they are bought and sold.

It always intrigues me to look at other countries' ways of solving problems
(especially if I think our way of doing it is better!!) - in America, France
and Germany, someone obviously made a conscious decision that it was a good
idea to change a car's registration number whenever the car changed hands,
rather than either the car keeping the same number throughout its life or
else the driver keeping the same number throughout his life.

Dashe June 25th 05 11:45 AM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Martin Underwood ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

On the other hand, I like their concept of having part-time speed limits:
most schools have a reasonable speed limit outside them except at the
beginning and end of the school day when the limit is reduced. Over here
they'd slap on a blanket 30mph limit 24 hours a day :-(

We are getting towards part-time speed limits here in UK now. There are
several areas which are 30mph, but have a 20mph limit during school crossing
times.
Dave G

Mrs Redboots June 25th 05 12:14 PM

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

It always intrigues me to look at other countries' ways of solving problems
(especially if I think our way of doing it is better!!) - in America, France
and Germany, someone obviously made a conscious decision that it was a good
idea to change a car's registration number whenever the car changed hands,
rather than either the car keeping the same number throughout its life or
else the driver keeping the same number throughout his life.

Indeed, the present system in some countries is that the car must change
its registration number whenever the owner moves, never mind when the
car changes hands!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Martin Underwood June 25th 05 12:45 PM

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

It always intrigues me to look at other countries' ways of solving
problems
(especially if I think our way of doing it is better!!) - in America,
France
and Germany, someone obviously made a conscious decision that it was a
good
idea to change a car's registration number whenever the car changed hands,
rather than either the car keeping the same number throughout its life or
else the driver keeping the same number throughout his life.

Indeed, the present system in some countries is that the car must change
its registration number whenever the owner moves, never mind when the
car changes hands!

Well I suppose it keeps the bureaucrats and the makers of number plates in
business :-)

What were they smoking when they thought that this was actually a *good*
idea, I wonder? It must make it very difficult to track offences (speeding,
parking) if the car number changes; similarly to prove that a car has had
routine maintenance and their equivalent of an MOT test. OK, the car still
has a VIN which is unique and unchanging, but it's hardly practicable for
this to be checked as easily as a car number.

Going back to the earlier theme of "let's mock the Americans' way of doing
things", another thing that I found when I drove over there was that their
standard of signposting, once you got off the multi-lane highways, was
abysmal. Maybe I'm just used to a three-way sign at the junction of almost
every country lane in England. And the road name signs are very difficult to
read because they are in a very condensed font, in white letters on a pale
green background: signs are supposed to be legible! I can only comment on
Massachussetts roads: I don't know whether it's the same in all states. It
doesn't help that the road atlas that I had was organised by town (rather
than being a simple west-to-east, north-to-south arrangement) and the
various maps were at different scales and in different styles. And this was
a map book that boasted on its front cover "highly acclaimed" and "very easy
to use"!!!

Mrs Redboots June 25th 05 03:35 PM

[...]

They don't seem to be very good at doing road maps - we used that same
one, I think, when we visited Mass. some years ago now.

The thing I noticed on our visit to Kansas was that distances were
measured in fractions of a mile, rather than yards - where we would say
there was an exit in (say) 200 yards, they'd put "3/8 mile"
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

David Biddulph June 25th 05 04:32 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
The thing I noticed on our visit to Kansas was that distances were
measured in fractions of a mile, rather than yards - where we would say
there was an exit in (say) 200 yards, they'd put "3/8 mile"

That's why America seems so big, if 200 of their yards are 3/8 of a mile.
It would need 660 of our little English yards. :-)
--
David Biddulph

Martin Underwood June 25th 05 05:02 PM

[...]

Yes, it assumes that you instinctively know which township or which district
of a big city (eg Boston) you are currently in - because each has its own
separate index of street names (as opposed to a Massachussets-wide or even
Boston-wide index of streets). I got lost on my way back to Logan airport
somewhere in the Boston suburbs. With a decent map it would have been dead
easy to look up a street name and locate myself. But when you've got to work
out which suburb ("town") you're in to know which index to look in, it makes
life very difficult. The idea of having maps that didn't tile together on
consecutive pages in the book and which were all at different scales was the
final straw: it was so bad that it was hilarious. When I mentioned it to an
American he seemed mystified and impressed that I had the courage to venture
off the multi-lane highways!

The thing I noticed on our visit to Kansas was that distances were
measured in fractions of a mile, rather than yards - where we would say
there was an exit in (say) 200 yards, they'd put "3/8 mile".

Alternatively they measure smaller distances in feet rather than yards.
Seeing a temporary road works sign that says "Road works - 3000 feet ahead"
makes you think "Er, what? Oh, 1000 yards. Right, OK." Just a case of what
you're used to. But using non-decimal fractions of a mile is just plain
stupid, given that car mileometers are calibrated in tenths of a mile - much
better to say "0.4 mile" or "4/10 mile" rather than "3/8 mile". Mind you,
our signs sometimes give distances as 1/2 or 1/4 mile - but I imagine more
people know what these are as tenths of a mile than could work out 3/8 mile
in an instant.

The other thing that caught me out is that on minor roads there's sometimes
no stop or give-way line where a minor road meets a major road - very tricky
to work out where to stop, especially where the junction is on a bend.
However zebra crossings have dirty-great white lines across the road:
several times I instinctively slammed on the brakes to stop at a zebra
crossing, even when there was no-one crossing, thinking I was meeting a
major road - it's one thing knowing that you're wrong; it's another thing
remembering it in the heat of the moment. And it felt wrong not having a
red-and-amber "get ready to go, put the car in gear/drive, take the
handbrake off" phase to traffic lights, but I gather a lot of Europe is like
that.

I must admit, after driving in America and having to keep down to fairly low
speed limits on single-carriageway roads (35 where we'd probably have had 50
or 60), it was nice to get off the train from Gatwick into my own car and
drive on the right side of the road on country lanes where I was able to
drive at a reasonable speed, or on a dual-carriageway where I wouldn't have
to contend with someone overtaking me on my nearside or going dead-level
with me mile after mile, and in a car that didn't change down automatically
into second gear every time I dropped below 30 or negotiated a roundabout!
Before I went, I was apprehensive of how I'd adjust to driving on the other
side of the road, but I had no problems with that. And I think I coped with
roundabouts like the one going onto Cape Cod a damn-sight better than most
Americans who very rarely get to see one and were flummoxed to encounter one
all of a sudden. I wouldn't like to have to drive a RHD car on the right (or
an LHD car on the left) though: I like to be able to see in my door mirror
what's overtaking me or see what's coming towards me when I want to
overtake.

Mrs Redboots June 25th 05 05:03 PM

David Biddulph wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
The thing I noticed on our visit to Kansas was that distances were
measured in fractions of a mile, rather than yards - where we would say
there was an exit in (say) 200 yards, they'd put "3/8 mile"

That's why America seems so big, if 200 of their yards are 3/8 of a mile.
It would need 660 of our little English yards. :-)

Well, you know what I mean......
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Mrs Redboots June 25th 05 05:29 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

And it felt wrong not having a
red-and-amber "get ready to go, put the car in gear/drive, take the
handbrake off" phase to traffic lights, but I gather a lot of Europe is like
that.

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any other
European countries, we were only on the motorways in Belgium last
holidays, and I don't think I noticed what the situation was in
Switzerland.

I must admit, after driving in America and having to keep down to fairly low
speed limits on single-carriageway roads (35 where we'd probably have had 50
or 60), it was nice to get off the train from Gatwick into my own car and
drive on the right side of the road on country lanes where I was able to
drive at a reasonable speed, or on a dual-carriageway where I wouldn't have
to contend with someone overtaking me on my nearside or going dead-level
with me mile after mile, and in a car that didn't change down automatically
into second gear every time I dropped below 30 or negotiated a roundabout!
Before I went, I was apprehensive of how I'd adjust to driving on the other
side of the road, but I had no problems with that.

One doesn't, I understand. I don't yet drive, but I'm told by those who
do that this is invariably far less difficult than anticipated.

And I think I coped with
roundabouts like the one going onto Cape Cod a damn-sight better than most
Americans who very rarely get to see one and were flummoxed to encounter one
all of a sudden. I wouldn't like to have to drive a RHD car on the right (or
an LHD car on the left) though: I like to be able to see in my door mirror
what's overtaking me or see what's coming towards me when I want to
overtake.

Husband & Daughter haven't ever had any problems with this one, either.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Martin Underwood June 25th 05 06:26 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

And it felt wrong not having a
red-and-amber "get ready to go, put the car in gear/drive, take the
handbrake off" phase to traffic lights, but I gather a lot of Europe is
like
that.

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any other
European countries, we were only on the motorways in Belgium last
holidays, and I don't think I noticed what the situation was in
Switzerland.

I think Germany has no red-and-amber phase - I think I remember noticing.

The one thing that I remember reading about the Netherlands is that the rule
of priority on roundabouts is the reverse of ours: instead of traffic
waiting to join the roundabout having to give way to traffic already on the
roundabout that's coming from their left, its the other way round: traffic
on the roundabout has to give way to traffic waiting to join - which
frequently causes total gridlock! The EU apparently once tried to get the UK
to adopt this practice but were told where to go ;-)

[...]

I think being on the opposite side of the car (the correct side for road)
helps a great deal. And at least in an automatic I didn't have the added
distraction of having to change gear frequently and remembering that the
layout of the gears is one of the things that's *not* a mirror image. Only
occasionally did I have to remember at junctions not to pull out
instinctively onto the wrong side of the road I was joining.

One thing I did notice driving and walking through small towns was how much
more willing American drivers were to give way to cars pulling out from side
roads or to pedestrians wanting to cross the road. When I was on foot,
several cars stopped simply because I'd turned to face the opposite side of
the road to admire a building! Even in the centre of Boston, cars were
willing to give way to pedestrians who weren't on "crosswalks" (also signed
as "PED XING" which had me puzzled till I worked out what it was an
abbreviation for!) or to drivers on side roads. However I also noticed that
pedestrians never seemed to assume that they had a divine right to cross a
side road that a car was waiting to turn into - maybe the rules of who has
priority over whom are more sensible over there.

Colin Rosenstiel June 25th 05 09:19 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

In article ,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

And it felt wrong not having a
red-and-amber "get ready to go, put the car in gear/drive, take the
handbrake off" phase to traffic lights, but I gather a lot of Europe
is like that.

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any
other European countries, we were only on the motorways in Belgium
last holidays, and I don't think I noticed what the situation was in
Switzerland.

I think Germany has no red-and-amber phase - I think I remember
noticing.

I think our red and amber is unique. The only other country with a variant
that I recall is Italy with green and amber.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Bill Hayles June 26th 05 08:03 AM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:29:05 +0100, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

And it felt wrong not having a
red-and-amber "get ready to go, put the car in gear/drive, take the
handbrake off" phase to traffic lights, but I gather a lot of Europe is like
that.

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any other
European countries,

Quick answer to two threads (since I am resident in Spain).

In Spain, the registration number stays with the car throughout its
life. Since 2000, when the system changed, there is no way of
telling where a car was first registered. This was a deliberate
decision by the Spanish authorities. Before that, the first letter
(or two) denoted the province of registration. You can tell its
rough age from its registration, as they are issued consecutively,
but there's no easy direct correlation.

There's no red/amber at Spanish traffic lights; however we have a
great many flashing amber signals - proceed but give way.

And to get slightly back on topic, give me the Valencia metro over
the London Underground any day!

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

Mrs Redboots June 26th 05 01:01 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

I had written:

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any other
European countries, we were only on the motorways in Belgium last
holidays, and I don't think I noticed what the situation was in
Switzerland.

I think Germany has no red-and-amber phase - I think I remember noticing.

I didn't think Germany did, but last holidays we were driving in both,
and my husband commented, when we got into Germany, that they followed a
similar system to us. So perhaps they've changed - or else, perhaps
they have red, followed by separate amber, followed by green? I was too
busy navigating to notice!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Martin Underwood June 26th 05 01:11 PM

wrote:

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

And it felt wrong not having a
red-and-amber "get ready to go, put the car in gear/drive, take the
handbrake off" phase to traffic lights, but I gather a lot of Europe is
like
that.

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any other
European countries,

Quick answer to two threads (since I am resident in Spain).

There's no red/amber at Spanish traffic lights; however we have a
great many flashing amber signals - proceed but give way.

I've often wondered whether we should adopt flashing amber more widely in
the UK: eg overnight at junctions which are very busy in the rush hour (and
so need conventional red or green aspects at those times) but which at night
have so little traffic that a red light (if the lights happen to be left for
traffic at right angles) can delay you. Give everyone flashing amber at
night and adopt "roundabout rules" (priority to traffic coming from the
right), perhaps? Over here, the only place where flashing amber tends to be
used is at pedestrian lights, as a longer-than-normal transition between red
and green.

Martin Underwood June 26th 05 01:21 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

I had written:

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any other
European countries, we were only on the motorways in Belgium last
holidays, and I don't think I noticed what the situation was in
Switzerland.

I think Germany has no red-and-amber phase - I think I remember noticing.

I didn't think Germany did, but last holidays we were driving in both,
and my husband commented, when we got into Germany, that they followed a
similar system to us. So perhaps they've changed - or else, perhaps
they have red, followed by separate amber, followed by green? I was too
busy navigating to notice!

I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a red-and-amber when I went on holiday to
Austria with my parents in the early 80s and we drove through Germany from
Munich to Innsbruck: I remember commenting on it. Can't remember how it was
when I went to Hannover more recently.

I bet the only downside of not driving is that you get called upon to do all
the navigating - like non-drinkers get imposed upon to do all the driving
after parties etc!

Clive June 26th 05 02:03 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
I think our red and amber is unique. The only other country with a
variant that I recall is Italy with green and amber.

I didn't notice that, but I do remember that the lights in Naples were
only for advice or decoration.
--
Clive

Clive June 26th 05 02:08 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

In message ,
Martin Underwood writes
France certainly is; Germany is more like us.

Although I've not seen it anywhere else, I very much liked the pigs ears
on traffic lights (Little repeaters at eye height), that the French have
on all there lights.
--
Clive

Clive June 26th 05 02:16 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
What threw us totally was that these limits were *obeyed*....
presumably why they can be higher than ours!

I'd noticed that and asked another driver why. Apparently breaking the
speed limit carries very draconian measures. A different issue but one
I found annoying was when driving an American auto box, slowly
accelerating was good but to attempt to overtake the response is to put
your foot down, each time I did I found I was without drive for about
two seconds whilst the box kicked down.
--
Clive

Clive June 26th 05 02:19 PM

London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

In message , Martin
Underwood writes
I didn't realise that some countries mandated dipped headlights at all
times. I know that some Scandinavian countries mandate side/tail
lights.

I noticed as we crossed from Germany to Denmark that the speed limit
went down and all drivers had dipped beam.
--
Clive

Mrs Redboots June 26th 05 02:35 PM

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 26 Jun 2005:

I bet the only downside of not driving is that you get called upon to do all
the navigating - like non-drinkers get imposed upon to do all the driving
after parties etc!

Indeed, and my husband, like several others of my acquaintance, doesn't
follow directions well. Or slow down so you can read road signs.... and
expects you to know, by instinct, which way to turn! Then, when you
tell him, he says "Oh, I can't turn here, I'm in the wrong lane", and
goes merrily on in the wrong direction. Or takes the wrong exit from a
roundabout when you say "Not that one"......

Someone suggested GPS, but our rather out-of-date system doesn't help
all that much! It is, however, very useful when you have gone badly
wrong!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/