Old July 2nd 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster communication failure

Ian F. wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 2 Jul 2005:

"?uzzled" wrote in message

Weren't there figures out a while back saying complaint on the buses were
at an all time record high ?

Bus drivers are, beyond a doubt, the single most objectionable people
working in transport today - if there are any nice ones, I for one have
never met them.

I have - but I agree, it's the other kind that leave the bad taste in
one's mouth. But you *do* get the kind who will see you running and
wait for you.... the snag is, the ones you remember are the kind who see
you running and accelerate away!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old July 2nd 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
Try bus driving for a week, if you don't end up plonking somebody you're
either extremely patient or on something.

A bit like trying to get child+buggy around on the busses then, eh?

#Paul

Old July 2nd 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:07:28 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

"?uzzled" wrote in message

Weren't there figures out a while back saying complaint on the buses were
at an all time record high ?

Bus drivers are, beyond a doubt, the single most objectionable people
working in transport today - if there are any nice ones, I for one have
never met them.
They are, to a man, crass and pig-ignorant, appalling drivers and lacking in
even the most basic social and interpersonal skills.

Painting *everyone* within a category with the same brush is not a very
sensible thing to do. In another thread you were happy to distinguish
the various types of people you encounter in sunny Peckham. You cannot
be serious in your view that all bus drivers are objectionable. If you
were to spend 5 minutes thinking about the abuse and stress they have to
tolerate then you might be a bit more sympathetic.

There are plenty of skilled and polite bus drivers in London - just as
there is a minority who do not do their job very well or with good
manners. A bit like any group of workers regardless of their occupation.
You'll be telling us next that all journalists are lovely people and are
not really self serving rat like creatures living in the gossip infested
sewers.

If only they would take
as their example some of the terrific station staff working at tube
stations - particularly, in my experience, on the District Line - who are
tireless in their desire to assist even the dimmest tourist. I envy their
patience.

I suggest we put you in a boxing ring with one or two of our LU hating
group members and then leave you to knock seven bells out of each other
as to which group of transport workers is worst.
--
Paul C

Old July 2nd 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

Painting *everyone* within a category with the same brush is not a very
sensible thing to do.

I did say that *if there are any nice ones, I for one have never met them*,
not that there aren't any.

In another thread you were happy to distinguish
the various types of people you encounter in sunny Peckham.

Balham, pur-lease! ;-)

You cannot
be serious in your view that all bus drivers are objectionable. If you
were to spend 5 minutes thinking about the abuse and stress they have to
tolerate then you might be a bit more sympathetic.

Abuse? From whom? Stress, OK, I agree, it's a pretty stressful job, but that
doesn't mean they have to treat passengers with total disdain and look at us
as though we've crawled out of the nearest gutter. Have you ever tried
asking one of them a simple question, like saying "could you please tell me
when we get to []?", just to be met with a glazed-over look and a grunt?

There are plenty of skilled and polite bus drivers in London

I'm sure there are. It's just that, as I said, I have never met them.

You'll be telling us next that all journalists are lovely people and are
not really self serving rat like creatures living in the gossip infested
sewers.

LOL. You're thinking of a different type of journo to me!

I suggest we put you in a boxing ring with one or two of our LU hating
group members and then leave you to knock seven bells out of each other
as to which group of transport workers is worst.

Double LOL! How could anyone hate LU? ;-))))

Ian

Old July 2nd 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"?uzzled" wrote in message

Weren't there figures out a while back saying complaint on the buses were
at an all time record high ?

Bus drivers are, beyond a doubt, the single most objectionable people
working in transport today - if there are any nice ones, I for one have
never met them.

The one who drove the W7 at about midnight from Alexandra Palace, just
after a gig finished, and had to tolerate 4000 people trying to get on
his bus, did brilliantly. But, yes, he was a diamond among the majority.

I wouldn't go as far as your trolling :-), the majority are "alright",
some are awful and a tiny number are excellent.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
writes
A bit like trying to get child+buggy around on the busses then, eh?

Not in my day as a bus driver. You either folded it or you walked.
Simple Eh.
--
Clive
Old July 3rd 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Jul 2005 00:50:04 -0700, said:
?uzzled wrote:
I've been using my oyster card quite merrily this week until today. This
morning, I swiped the card on a bus and it didn't register. The driver waved
me through and I thought it was a faulty machine. Going home from work this
evening, I swiped it again on the bus and it still wouldn't register. I
thought another faulty machine until the driver called me back. This time I
looked at the LCD display and it showed 'Communication Failure'. Try as I
might, I couldn't get the card to register. I knew there was credit on my
pre-pay card so I couldn't work out what was wrong.

I managed to test my oyster card at a ticket stop and they confirmed that my
card had died. They told me I had to take it to the Oval to get it swapped.

[adds this to long list of why Oyster is a really stupid idea]

Why do oyster cards die ?

Because they're a complex solution for a simple problem.

How am I going to get to work tomorrow ? I've read on the oyster site that
you can take the card to any tube station for a replacement. But living in
South London, there aren't any.

Another reason not to get one then!

No answer to your question I'm afraid but of course if you abuse staff
on the buses or the Underground you will be prosecuted.

Good thing that there's no indication that the OP abused them then.

--
David Cantrell |
http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david