Old July 8th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default Me in London today

From which I realise that it had been diverted away from Edgware Road
rather than away from Kings Cross.

Old July 8th 05, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Sam Wilson
writes

In article .com, MIG
wrote:

Since the route 30 doesn't go there, I can only assume that it had been
diverted following the earlier incident at Kings Cross. This hasn't
been explained in any reports that I have seen.

It's explained in detail with maps by the BBC on their "In Depth" and
"In Detail" pages; the bus event is described at

As discussed in another thread, that is probably wrong - the police were
diverting all EASTBOUND traffic on the Euston Road down through
Tavistock Square, so it is much more likely that the bus was bound for
Hackney, not Marble March.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 8th 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message .com,
Unlimited Eddie writes

Now I am an American who has been to London 11 times. I usually stay at
the Russell Hotel which is on Woburn.Would it be correct to assume that
if i was Walking out of the Russell hotel and looked to my right
towards Euston that the bus was about one quarter of a block down the
street from the hotel?

As others have said, it was more like two and half blocks. However, you
would undoubtedly have been in the thick of things (albeit safe) since
passengers from the Piccadilly line explosion were being evacuated from
the tube station just at the back of the hotel.

Was it travelling towards Euston or towards Russell Square?

It was not on its usual route, but it was heading towards Russell
Square.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 8th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 7 Jul 2005 11:20:17 -0700, "Boltar" said:

You were quite lucky. I was one of the many who had to walk the entire
way home thanks to the bus drivers

You mean you didn't drive to work, you public-transport-hating
hypocrite?

And as for taking 3.5 hours to walk 8 miles - my granny can do better
than that. Weakling.

Old July 8th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 8 Jul 2005 03:45:38 -0700, "Boltar" said:

How exactly would unwell or infirm have managed to walk miles and
miles home? Or would you just expect them to sleep on the streets? My
mother visits london fairly often can can hardly climb into a bus
never mind walk 10 miles.

I hear London has this incredible new invention called the "taxi cab".

Old July 8th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Sam Wilson
writes

In article .com, MIG
wrote:

Since the route 30 doesn't go there, I can only assume that it had been
diverted following the earlier incident at Kings Cross. This hasn't
been explained in any reports that I have seen.

It's explained in detail with maps by the BBC on their "In Depth" and
"In Detail" pages; the bus event is described at

As discussed in another thread, that is probably wrong - the police were
diverting all EASTBOUND traffic on the Euston Road down through
Tavistock Square, so it is much more likely that the bus was bound for
Hackney, not Marble March.

It was. The footage on the BBC tonight showed Hackney Wick on the
destination board of the bus.
Old July 8th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:46:23 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

As discussed in another thread, that is probably wrong - the police were
diverting all EASTBOUND traffic on the Euston Road down through
Tavistock Square, so it is much more likely that the bus was bound for
Hackney, not Marble March.

The pictures in today's newspapers suggest that the destination blind
was set to Hackney.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old July 8th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

David Cantrell schrieb/wrote uns/us:

And as for taking 3.5 hours to walk 8 miles - my granny can do better
than that.

Maybe her sight is too dim to recognize the red light? My grandfather
used to say, "the young people have much better eyes" when he crossed
a 4-lane road hardly watching the traffic.

Gruß, Mathias Bölckow
Old July 8th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Boltar wrote:
So there were no buses in Inner London because their drivers were
"spineless"? For goodness' sake, a bomb had exploded on one earlier,

Read what I wrote. I'm not talking about central london , the police
had
asked the buses to stop there, i know that. But in north london most of
the
buses also seemed have completely stopped. There was no 134 or 263 and
they
go well out into zones 3 & 4. I spoke to some "official" (read kid in
uniform)
and he said the drivers for arriva and some other company whos name
escapes me weren't turning up for work or were simply refusing to
drive.
Bunch of pussies. If myself and loads of other were willing to risk
being
a passenger I don't see why they can't risk driving the things.

Boltar, the buses were stopped because the cause of the explosion was not known and the vehicles required searching. The drivers you call spineless, (apart from the buses that were transporting large numbers to hospital) were called back to depots on the orders of the police as part of the L.E.P in case of larger follow up incidents when evacuation of residents may become necessary.

The initial incidents were still occurring when the first phase of
L.E.P. was actually put into operation. Various stations outside London
were staffed up and prepared to accept large numbers of people, trains
were held ready to travel in as ECS and bring people out.
For my part I was working at Reading searching trains initially, with
police assistance, then dealing with large numbers of passengers trying
to get to places as far apart as Cambridge and Brussels and now unable
to do so. Many had holidays ruined, there were dozens of elderly and
infirm travellers, I met three who were caught in the explosions, and
indeed two of our drivers and one driver manager were at work depite
their involvement at Tavistock Square and Edgeware Road.
This entire mass of humanity descended on Reading and looked to us for
help,often bewildered and confused, definitely tired and footsore in
many cases. Some had witnessed the most awful sights and with all the
travel chaos and the long diversionary routes being taken, not one, not
a single one complained, whinged or whined at what they were
experiencing. The most common phrase heard was thank you. Virgin trains
packed out to the North and South had passengers giving up seats for
those less able to stand, and I had many people say how full of
admiration they were for the efforts of staff on trains and stations.
It just shows that whether it is Madrid, New York or London, events
such as this do bring out the best in people. But as Boltar's post
proves.....there is always one!

Old July 8th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article . com,
Boltar writes
and he said the drivers for arriva and some other company whos name
escapes me weren't turning up for work or were simply refusing to
drive.
Bunch of pussies. If myself and loads of other were willing to risk
being
a passenger I don't see why they can't risk driving the things.

So because you're willing to take the risk of running across the road in
front of a juggernaut, or driving through a closing AHB crossing, we all
should?

I used to think you had the occasional sensible point to make, but you
really are a ****wit of the first order.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: