Old July 8th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Me in London today

In article , Richard Sobey
writes
About 09:45 I heard a loud bang in the distance. I thought it was
south-east (that is, towards Holborn) but I guess it was the Tavistock
Square bus.

I witnessed the bus explosion - I must have been standing approx 50
metres away,

Ouch. My fullest sympathies.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old July 9th 05, 06:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote:
but because those spinelessarseholes refusing to drive their buses

It's so nice to know that you rushed down there to drive the buses for
them!
Oh, you didn't have the nerve to do that? Just to whine!

Are you volunteering to work in hospital to help the survivors?
Are you doing charity work to support those grieving? Offering up a
tithe to help the innocent?

Or just ****ing in your beer, because you don't think that your
mother, who you said wasn't there, might not have been smart enough to
get assistance, had she needed it. Which is probably true, because her
own silly child is a ****! Maybe not, but she certainly wouldn't have
trusted her own child to rush out and help to bring her home.

On the other side of the coin, my prayers are to all those directly
and indirectly touched by these vile acts. And the truly heroic people
whose lives go on. Whether they've had to show that strength, or will
have to show it, as they continue to live, day to day!
Old July 9th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

ITV news reported last night that one of the bombs (can't remember if
it was the Russell Sq one) was right at the front of the train.

Old July 9th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Terry Harper wrote on Fri, 8 Jul 2005
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:46:23 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

As discussed in another thread, that is probably wrong - the police were
diverting all EASTBOUND traffic on the Euston Road down through
Tavistock Square, so it is much more likely that the bus was bound for
Hackney, not Marble March.

The pictures in today's newspapers suggest that the destination blind
was set to Hackney.

Meanwhile someone at the Independent had a bright idea, resulting
in an article today by Jonathan Brown based on a journey
on the 0845 No. 30 _from_ Hackney Wick:
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article297934.ece.
--
Iain Archer To email, please use Reply-To address
Old July 9th 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Boltar" wrote in message
ups.com...
So there were no buses in Inner London because their drivers were
"spineless"? For goodness' sake, a bomb had exploded on one earlier,

Read what I wrote. I'm not talking about central london , the police
had
asked the buses to stop there, i know that. But in north london most of
the
buses also seemed have completely stopped. There was no 134 or 263 and
they
go well out into zones 3 & 4. I spoke to some "official" (read kid in
uniform)
and he said the drivers for arriva and some other company whos name
escapes me weren't turning up for work or were simply refusing to
drive.
Bunch of pussies. If myself and loads of other were willing to risk
being
a passenger I don't see why they can't risk driving the things.

drivers were ordered not to drive there and given the traffic situation,

The traffic was no worse than normal in the burbs as far as I could
see.

B2003

If it took you that long to walk out of London, how long do you think it
took the next shift of bus drivers to get in to the depots to drive the
buses so you didn't have to walk?

Peter

PS They would then have had to drive safely for the rest of their turn even
if they were knackered from walking in!

--
Peter Corser
Linslade, Beds, UK

Old July 9th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

David Cantrell typed

On 8 Jul 2005 03:45:38 -0700, "Boltar" said:

How exactly would unwell or infirm have managed to walk miles and
miles home? Or would you just expect them to sleep on the streets? My
mother visits london fairly often can can hardly climb into a bus
never mind walk 10 miles.

I hear London has this incredible new invention called the "taxi cab".

Impossible to get on Thursday, unfortunately.

I really can't walk more than about 200 yards now and had to struggle to
get home.

I'm sure I was not the only one.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old July 9th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

So it would be right near the road that comes out at the far end of
Cartwright Gardens?

since my last trip there,I remember i used to walk across the street
from the Russell and there was an office there where you could book
tourist trips,Frames Rickards i believe,there was a petrol station the
same side as the Russell and a family owned British style food
resteraunt

I think there was a college there too.

Old July 10th 05, 07:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

So it would be right near the road that comes out at the far end of
Cartwright Gardens?

since my last trip there,I remember i used to walk across the street
from the Russell and there was an office there where you could book
tourist trips,Frames Rickards i believe,there was a petrol station the
same side as the Russell and a family owned British style food
resteraunt

If the bus had continued a bit further South (towards the Russell) it
would have been able to turn left into Tavistock Place (where the
incident was first reported to have taken place). This leads through
to Marchmont Street, which heads North/South parallel with the diverted
route of the bus.

If you turned left again, ie heading back North towards Euston Road,
Cartwright Gardens is a crescent off Marchmont Street. There is a hall
of residence for students there at least.

I think there was a college there too.