Old July 12th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Street Map showing tube lines?

Roland Perry typed

In message , at 15:43:14 on
Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Helen Deborah Vecht
remarked:
That map suffers from "joining the dots" syndrome, in common with every
other similar electronically produced railway map I've seen. So it gives
a general indication, much of the time, but there very many detailed
"errors". For example, the City branch of the Northern line is
completely wrong at Euston.

I *think* the bus maps have this one about right, but am prepared to be
corrected.

Unfortunately, the "Central" map (which is the one that would include
Euston) doesn't have the underground lines on it. Meanwhile, the various
'outer' maps don't show the detail inside the "Central" area.

Of course, there aren't very many interesting below surface lines
outside the "Central" zone. However, they have the approaches to Ealing
Broadway reasonably OK (but that's overground, anyway, so visible on
normal maps).

Would you like me to send you an old Central London bus map?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old July 13th 05, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Yes, please. My email address is a real one.

Thanks to Helen, I've figured out I'm 80-100 yards from the
Victoria line. It surprises me I can hear it as if it's right under
my lounge.

The bus maps do not show the accurate track of the tube lines in many
cases. For example, the Met/H&C/Circle east of King's Cross should pass
just south of KX Thameslink station, but is shown to be north of
Pentonville Road. The Jubilee Line is shown as north-south at Baker
Street, whereas it is actually east-west there, and passes close to
Regents Park Bakerloo Line station.

I would prefer to trust the street maps in the Journey Planner at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/journeyplanner. You have to construct a route
that involves the use of the line in question. In your case, try a
journey from your postcode to a Victoria Line station some distance
away, which is likely to start with a walk from your house to the
nearest Victoria Line station. Then click on View and then Start Map,
and you should see the path of the Victoria Line. Mail me (see my sig)
if you need help.
--
Richard J.

Old July 13th 05, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
00:47:52 on Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Richard J.
remarked:
I would prefer to trust the street maps in the Journey Planner at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/journeyplanner.

Hmm, I just tried the Waterloo and City line, and it makes no attempt to
show the correct route.
Old July 13th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
00:47:52 on Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Richard J.
remarked:
I would prefer to trust the street maps in the Journey Planner at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/journeyplanner.

Hmm, I just tried the Waterloo and City line, and it makes no
attempt to show the correct route.

Do you mean it doesn't show the route or that it shows an inaccurate
route? If the latter, which bit of the W&C were you looking at?
--
Richard J.

Old July 14th 05, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
12:16:18 on Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Richard J.
remarked:
I would prefer to trust the street maps in the Journey Planner at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/journeyplanner.

Hmm, I just tried the Waterloo and City line, and it makes no
attempt to show the correct route.

Do you mean it doesn't show the route or that it shows an inaccurate
route?

Inaccurate route (indeed, the line is shown in the classic "join the
dots" mode I was complaining of earlier - the track shown headed
northeast from the centre of the station and nowhere near Stamford St,
whereas it actually starts off going north*west* then turns right to run
under Stamford St).

If the latter, which bit of the W&C were you looking at?

The Waterloo end. For the actual route see: http://www.perry.co.uk/maps/

Old July 14th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
[...]

I would like a copy if you wouldn't mind, my email address is as given.
Ta!