Old July 20th 03, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Crossrail

"Roger H. Bennett" writes:
"Huge" wrote in message
Once again Thameslink has been quite successful

Only if "successful" includes being the least reliable TOC in the
country, according to the SRA.

Successful in attracting passengers - including you, I believe.
;-)

Attracting? I think not.

Old July 20th 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Michael Bell writes:
In article , Dave
wrote:
Roger H. Bennett writes
Cross-London regional journeys are difficult to make at present, so
Crossrail, TL2K and more effective use of the Willesden Junc-Clapham
route will help that - although the latter route probably suffers
because it avoids central London.

I was thinking of intercity journeys but not necessarily intercity
trains. A regional train from Peterborough or Cambridge, with limited
stops, could provide a more attractive alternative than going to Kings
Cross, changing to the Tube, then changing again at another London
terminus.

Those are what are what is meant by 'regional' journeys.

We already have Thameslink services from Brighton to Bedford. When the
Bedford electrification is extended northwards, as surely it must be
in the end,

Although we will likely all be retired by then.

Old July 20th 03, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In article , Huge wrote:
Thameslink publish the timetable. It's entirely their fault if they
can't abide by it.

Absolutely. But with such a frequent service it doesn't really *matter*.

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Old July 20th 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Huge writes
We already have Thameslink services from Brighton to Bedford. When the
Bedford electrification is extended northwards, as surely it must be
in the end,

Although we will likely all be retired by then.

And Hell will be quite a chilly place... I can't see electrification
being extended northwards.

Even if it was, it would be trying to mix two different types of market
on the same service - which doesn't work. People travelling form
further north will be wanting high speed trains which make few stops.
The existing services need fast trains which make regular stops - the
current service won't have many people travelling all the way from
Bedford to Brighton, but will allow people to go from Luton to Gatwick,
St Albans to Croydon.

So merely extending the existing trains won't work. Running separate
through 'InterCity' trains wont work either as the central section will
never have the capacity to accommodate both types of trains.

--
Dave
Old July 20th 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Jonn Elledge wrote:
"Roger H. Bennett" wrote in message
Once again Thameslink has been quite successful with fast(ish) trains from
Luton to Brighton. If that could be expanded to give one or two trains an
hour from Peterborough to suitable destinations in Kent, Surrey or Sussex

I should have thought that would be useful.

I agree there should be a few paths an hour as these have been quite
successful. But I don't think every town in the south needs a connection to
either Luton or Peterborough;

I agree. And anyway it would be impractical: there are too many possible
destinations. A better target for long-distance journeys via London
would be to reduce two changes to one, by running trains across the
centre to a terminus the other side. Brussels does this, apart from
Eurostar - trains to the north start from the south station, and vice
versa.

while I do think that every bit of South London needs a direct connection
to central and northern London. Hence I think suburban services should be
the priority.

Agree again, but these trains should be frequent enough for one change
to have little effect on journey time.

Run your cross-London services on the most popular routes - but
liberally provide interchanges to maximise one-change journey
possibilities as well as direct ones.

That means Crossrail 1 needs to connect with the Piccadilly - and not
just at Heathrow.

Colin McKenzie