Old July 17th 05, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Emergency services gone crazy

On 17 Jul 2005 01:00:03 -0700, "terzal" wrote:

What are you talking about? Try quoting the text you are replying to.

The text immediately above mine.

[quoting amended to be accurate]

There was no text immediately above yours...

If you're going to use Google Groups Beta, learn to quote correctly.
[Hint: "Reply" to the article you're replying to; don't just use the
text window at the bottom of the thread.]

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon

Old July 18th 05, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

He said that is flat mate said they couldn't use them after 10pm. I
replied they can use them any time they like. How is that not
consistent?

He didn't say that. Read it again. He said "shouldn't", not "couldn't".

That's a significant difference.

No, thats being pedantic.

In any case, I have never been aware of any law, instruction,
recommendation, guideline, or anything else to say that sirens cannot
or should not or any other wording you would like to use, be used after
any particular time.

Old July 18th 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
I thought there was an injunction against horn use after a certain time.
10:30 pm sounds familiar.

Rule 92 in the highway code (http://www.highway-code.gov.uk/07.htm#92)
says that you shouldn't use your horn between 11:30pm and 7am (with
some sensible exceptions and caveats) & refers to the Road Vehicles
(Construction & Use) Regulations 1986. I can't be bothered to see
if those regulations apply equally to police sirens, although
personally I doubt it.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver
Old July 18th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I thought there was an injunction against horn use after a certain
time.
10:30 pm sounds familiar.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Have just found a site with a list of exemptions applying to emergency
vehicles. The use of audible warnings at night is one exception from
the Road Traffic Act..

http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co....egislation.htm

Old July 19th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
(terzal) wrote:

I thought there was an injunction against horn use after a certain
time.
10:30 pm sounds familiar.

Have just found a site with a list of exemptions applying to emergency
vehicles. The use of audible warnings at night is one exception from
the Road Traffic Act..

http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co....egislation.htm

I never doubted it wasn't illegal. We were discussing when they were more
strongly encouraged not to use sirens.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 23rd 05, 01:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Jul 2005 03:00:58 -0700, "terzal" said:

Anyone who complains about police cars whizzing about have got to ask
themselves, if they were being attacked and call the police for help,
would they want the police to attend urgently or not?

Last time I called the police because someone was being attacked it
took them over an hour to show up. Mind you, the victim was black so
I suppose the police didn't think that was urgent.

Old July 23rd 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Cantrell
writes
On 16 Jul 2005 03:00:58 -0700, "terzal" said:

Anyone who complains about police cars whizzing about have got to ask
themselves, if they were being attacked and call the police for help,
would they want the police to attend urgently or not?

Last time I called the police because someone was being attacked it
took them over an hour to show up. Mind you, the victim was black so
I suppose the police didn't think that was urgent.

Last time I called them because someone was being attacked, they, the
police, never turned up. It took the ambulance 45 minutes to arrive,
the victim could have died choking on his own blood. A gang of youths
had been using the poor guy's head as a football and the people who
arrived on the scene just before me had chased off the gang. A prompt
response might have enabled the police to pick up the gang involved
immediately. The man had a broken jaw.

To add insult to injury, when they eventually put up yellow witness
request boards they got the wrong stretch of road and the wrong time of
day.

Just to even up the balance, this guy was white, and the gang were kids
of all colours.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"