Old July 15th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL update spoofs

I don't know if anyone else is getting them, but I am getting some spoof
emails which look just like the TfL transport update emails, but whose
links all point to some site at xmr3.com which I haven't visited, but
for which Google throws up some extremely suspicious looking results.

It's a bit worrying as although people are now more aware of spoofs of
emails from online banks or shopping sites, I doubt they'd expect spoofs
of TfL ones. Very underhand.

I've sent a comment off to TfL about it but I doubt there's much they
can do.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 15th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Arquati
writes
I don't know if anyone else is getting them, but I am getting some spoof
emails which look just like the TfL transport update emails, but whose
links all point to some site at xmr3.com which I haven't visited, but
for which Google throws up some extremely suspicious looking results.

It's a bit worrying as although people are now more aware of spoofs of
emails from online banks or shopping sites, I doubt they'd expect spoofs
of TfL ones. Very underhand.

I've sent a comment off to TfL about it but I doubt there's much they
can do.

It looks like they are genuine. A little while back I queried a similar
e-mail as I felt they were spoofs. I queried directly to their Web site,
whose address I keyed directly to my browser. Attached is a copy of the
e-mail I received in response. I prefix the e-mail with the headers of
the reply. To my eyes the response does look genuine.

What concerns me is that TFL run a good responsive web-site but their
travel update web-site is located in the USA.

with ESMTP id for

; Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:13:15 +0100
From: "Enquire (TfL)"
To: '"
Subject: Transport for London
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:13:08 +0100

'Mr Richards,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that this email is an official TfL communication and is
sent
to all customers on our central mailing list. While we do appreciate the
need to ensure that communications are clearly from TfL, the scale of
sending the number of emails required is simply too much for our own
email
services so the use of a third party is required. However, we have made
efforts to ensure that there is as much information within the email to
illustrate its authenticity, such as TfL banner graphics and signatures
from
senior officers, etc.

As I say, I can appreciate your concern that this may be some sort of
'spam', especially given the level of such communication prevalent in
the
world today, but I can confirm this is an official TfL email.

Regards,

Matthew Bland
Transport for London'

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old July 18th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is getting them, but I am getting some spoof
emails which look just like the TfL transport update emails, but whose
links all point to some site at xmr3.com which I haven't visited, but
for which Google throws up some extremely suspicious looking results.

It's a bit worrying as although people are now more aware of spoofs of
emails from online banks or shopping sites, I doubt they'd expect spoofs
of TfL ones. Very underhand.

I've sent a comment off to TfL about it but I doubt there's much they
can do.

They're genuine electronic mail from TfL, although they are actually
sent by an outsourcing company, 'Premiere Global Services'. xmr3.com is
one of the domains they use to send out mail - visit it and you'll be
rediredted to the homepage of the company.

I've had three 'travel update' emails with regards to the bombings and
the subsequent changes in tube services. In the past I've also had
emails with information about engineering work on my nearest
underground line, about the launch of Pre Pay capping, and the change
of a nearby bus route from Routemaster to bendy bus. It looks like
they've got my details from my Oyster card records.