Old July 18th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line Murals

John Rowland wrote:
"Grebbsy McLaren"

- Finsbury Park - I think this has a balloon, but
I'm not sure, and I'm nswtm either.

This is a mistake by LU; they thought balloons used to be launched
here, but in fact it was from Finsbury Pavement near Moorgate.

I thought it was the contracted artist rather than LU who made the mistake.

The last time I was at FP (a couple of years ago), the balloon murals were
on the Piccadilly line platforms, and the duelling pistols were on the
Victoria Line platforms. I always thought that having different murals on
different lines is absurd - the mural is supposed to be a station identifier
for the illiterate, and so should be the same on all platforms at any one
station.

AIUI The balloon murals precede the Victoria Line - 2 of the adjoining
platforms were originally the Piccadilly Line and the other 2 the
Northern line into Moorgate. I haven't been there for a while but I
suspect they are on the platforms of one adjacent platforms.

Old July 18th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has
two pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

No. A mediaeval castle. No reason why is given in the book.

So I was told Bury meant Castle.... so Highbury is actually High-Castle,
hence the castle in the mural is on the top of a hill

Old July 18th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
o.uk...
John Rowland wrote:

The last time I was at FP (a couple of years ago),
the balloon murals were on the Piccadilly line platforms,
and the duelling pistols were on the Victoria Line platforms.

AIUI The balloon murals precede the Victoria Line

I can't disprove that, but they look significantly more modern than the
Victoria Line. Maybe the current murals are 1980s replacements of earlier
murals which were on the (then) Picc platforms... but I can not recall any
murals on the (current) Picc platforms in the 1970s.

Incidentally, which Jubbly station is portrayed at the bottom of this
page.... is it the new Wembley Park?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/h...chitecture.asp

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 19th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote:

AIUI The balloon murals precede the Victoria Line - 2 of the adjoining
platforms were originally the Piccadilly Line and the other 2 the Northern
line into Moorgate.

The Piccadilly Line platforms currently used at Finsbury Park opened in 1904
(westbound - originally from the Moorgate line) and 1906 (eastbound - has
always been a Piccadilly Line platform). The decor was purely functionally
until the mid-80s, when they gained the balloon murals - which have not aged
well. They can't readily be seen at present, because those platforms are
still closed as a result of the Russell Square bomb.

The other two platforms (also one from 1904 and one from 1906) were
redecorated in the 1960s, when they were taken over by the Victoria Line.

MetroGnome

Old July 19th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote:

I just remembered this...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...or.html#Motifs

I guess that the tile motifs ("murals" is probably not the right word) at a
third station now need changing. Those at Pimlico symbolised the "modern
art" collection at the nearby Tate Gallery. However, a few years ago the
Tate opened a second London site at Bankside, and the entire modern art
collection moved there (Tate Modern). The original Tate Gallery was
rechristened Tate Britain, and houses more traditional British landscapes.
So, the modernism of the yellow blobs at Pimlico is now a little
inappropriate.

On the other hand, quite a number of the other stations' motifs represent
historic scenes. Modern art is now part of Pimlico's history. So perhaps
the motifs there are appropriate after all!

MetroGnome

Old July 19th 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MetroGnome wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote:

I just remembered this...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...or.html#Motifs

I guess that the tile motifs ("murals" is probably not the right
word) at a third station now need changing. Those at Pimlico
symbolised the "modern art" collection at the nearby Tate Gallery.
However, a few years ago the Tate opened a second London site at
Bankside, and the entire modern art collection moved there (Tate
Modern). The original Tate Gallery was rechristened Tate Britain,
and houses more traditional British landscapes. So, the modernism
of the yellow blobs at Pimlico is now a little inappropriate.

Tate Britain is not exclusively for "traditional British landscapes".
For example, it currently has two exhibitions in the "Art Now" series by
living artists, Michael Fullerton and Enrico David. It also houses the
annual exhibition of works by artists shortlisted for the Turner Prize
(this year from 18 October). So a modern art motif at Pimlico is still
appropriate.
--
Richard J.

Old July 19th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, MetroGnome wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote:

I just remembered this...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...or.html#Motifs

I guess that the tile motifs ("murals" is probably not the right word) at a
third station now need changing. Those at Pimlico symbolised the "modern
art" collection at the nearby Tate Gallery. However, a few years ago the
Tate opened a second London site at Bankside, and the entire modern art
collection moved there (Tate Modern). The original Tate Gallery was
rechristened Tate Britain, and houses more traditional British landscapes.
So, the modernism of the yellow blobs at Pimlico is now a little
inappropriate.

On the other hand, quite a number of the other stations' motifs
represent historic scenes. Modern art is now part of Pimlico's history.
So perhaps the motifs there are appropriate after all!

I think we should redesignate Pimlico's motif as a reference to the
confusing but pretty motifs found on the London Underground's Victoria
line.

tom

--
10 PARTY : GOTO 10
Old July 19th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes

Tate Britain is not exclusively for "traditional British landscapes".
For example, it currently has two exhibitions in the "Art Now" series by
living artists, Michael Fullerton and Enrico David. It also houses the
annual exhibition of works by artists shortlisted for the Turner Prize
(this year from 18 October). So a modern art motif at Pimlico is still
appropriate.

It is certainly not inappropriate, but does nobody know the origin of
the word "Pimlico"? It apparently goes back to at least 1626 and sounds
somewhat exotic, so could it perhaps suggest some other motif?

For most of the 19th century the Millbank Penitentiary stood on what was
later to become Tate & Lyle's art gallery - but I suspect that
tile-designers do not want to commemorate its distinctive octagonal
shape any more than they might want to portray the Tyburn gallows on the
tiles of Marble Arch station.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 19th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Terry
writes
It is certainly not inappropriate, but does nobody know the origin of
the word "Pimlico"? It apparently goes back to at least 1626 and sounds
somewhat exotic, so could it perhaps suggest some other motif?

There are at least four different theories about how Pimlico managed to
get its slightly unusual name, which was first recorded, as "Pimplico",
in 1630.

One is that it was named after the Pamlico, a tribe of Red Indians whose
timber, exported to London, used to be landed nearby.

A second is that it refers to a local drink, the recipe for which has
been long lost.

The third is that it refers to the friar bird which was once seen
locally.

But perhaps the most plausible is that it recalls one Ben Pimlico, a
brewer from Hoxton who developed a popular "nut browne" ale in the 17th
century and which was sold here. There is indeed a Pimlico Walk in
Hoxton.

Plenty of scope for a tile design there, I should think! :-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk