Old July 17th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line Murals

Anyone know what murals there are on the Victoria Line, and what they mean?

The ones I know of a

- Brixton - heap of bricks (i.e. a ton of bricks, or Brickston. Not very
imaginative)

- Stockwell - If I remember rightly, lots of zigzag lines. Not sure what
this means.

- Vauxhall - something like leaves growing on a trellis. Again, nswtm.

- Pimlico - a grid with yellow circles in each square in the grid. Nswtm.

- Victoria - a silhouette of Queen Victoria (I presume).

- Green Park - some leaves (probably from trees in Green Park)

- Oxford Circus - snakes and ladders. I heard that this is supposed to
signify the confusion one encounters when changing from line to line here
(since there are three lines that intersect here).

- Warren Street - a maze - just as confusing as a rabbit warren, I guess.

- Euston - I think this has something like a portico. Nswtm.

- King's Cross St. Pancras - a crown with a cross underneath. Fairly
obvious.

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has two
pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

- Finsbury Park - I think this has a balloon, but I'm not sure, and I'm
nswtm either.

- Seven Sisters - I think this has seven trees which I think represent seven
trees that really did exist at one point and were called 'Seven Sisters'.

- Tottenham Hale - no idea.

- Blackhorse Road - I think this has a black horse.

- Walthamstow Central - no idea.

Old July 17th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:19:38 +0100, "Epetruk"
wrote:

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has two
pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

Probably to do with the nearby Gunners.

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old July 17th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Epetruk)
wrote:

They are all in the book about the Victoria Line published after it
opened, "The Story of the Victora Line".

- Brixton - heap of bricks (i.e. a ton of bricks, or Brickston. Not very
imaginative)

Ton of bricks indeed.

- Stockwell - If I remember rightly, lots of zigzag lines. Not sure what
this means.

Not in my edition of the book.

- Vauxhall - something like leaves growing on a trellis. Again, nswtm.

representing the old Vauxhall gardens IIRC.

- Pimlico - a grid with yellow circles in each square in the grid.
Nswtm.

Not in my edition of the book.

- Victoria - a silhouette of Queen Victoria (I presume).

Yes.

- Green Park - some leaves (probably from trees in Green Park)

Yes.

- Oxford Circus - snakes and ladders. I heard that this is supposed to
signify the confusion one encounters when changing from line to line
here (since there are three lines that intersect here).

It's an abstract pattern in colours representing the tube interchange
there.

- Warren Street - a maze - just as confusing as a rabbit warren, I
guess.

Indeed.

- Euston - I think this has something like a portico. Nswtm.

It's the old Euston doric arch which BR had knocked down a few years
before. I think BR were rather upset at this one.

- King's Cross St. Pancras - a crown with a cross underneath. Fairly
obvious.

A cross of five crowns actually.

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has
two pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

No. A mediaeval castle. No reason why is given in the book.

- Finsbury Park - I think this has a balloon, but I'm not sure, and I'm
nswtm either.

The duelling pistols are here (not at Highbury)

- Seven Sisters - I think this has seven trees which I think represent
seven trees that really did exist at one point and were called 'Seven
Sisters'.

Indeed. "A local legend"

- Tottenham Hale - no idea.

A ferry boat reminding people of the former Lea ferry.

- Blackhorse Road - I think this has a black horse.

Indeed.

- Walthamstow Central - no idea.

A William Morris pattern reminding people he lived round there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 17th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Epetruk
writes
Anyone know what murals there are on the Victoria Line, and what they mean?

Yep.

The ones I know of a

- Brixton - heap of bricks (i.e. a ton of bricks, or Brickston. Not very
imaginative)

- Stockwell - If I remember rightly, lots of zigzag lines. Not sure what
this means.

Stylised swan, after a local landmark pub.

- Vauxhall - something like leaves growing on a trellis. Again, nswtm.

Representation of the Vauxhall pleasure gardens. Vauxhall was the
original railway terminus of the London, Brighton and South Coast
Railway (before it was extended to Victoria) and a party of visiting
Russia dignitaries were some impressed with it that the word for
'railway station' in Russian is 'vokzal'

- Pimlico - a grid with yellow circles in each square in the grid. Nswtm.

Me neither. I think it is a representation of modern art to signify the
closeness of the Tate gallery.

- Victoria - a silhouette of Queen Victoria (I presume).

- Green Park - some leaves (probably from trees in Green Park)

- Oxford Circus - snakes and ladders. I heard that this is supposed to
signify the confusion one encounters when changing from line to line here
(since there are three lines that intersect here).

Yes, to all of these

- Warren Street - a maze - just as confusing as a rabbit warren, I guess.

Warren is another word for maze

- Euston - I think this has something like a portico. Nswtm.

It's a picture of the Doric arch that used to grace the mainline
station, and British rail demolished in a fit of vandalism in the mid
sixties

- King's Cross St. Pancras - a crown with a cross underneath. Fairly
obvious.

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has two
pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

No, a castle (or Bury) on a hill

- Finsbury Park - I think this has a balloon, but I'm not sure, and I'm
nswtm either.

Used to have crossed pistols, the park was famous as an 18th century
duelling ground - after refurbishment, has a balloon to commemorate the
first UK hot-air balloon flight (which took place there)

- Seven Sisters - I think this has seven trees which I think represent seven
trees that really did exist at one point and were called 'Seven Sisters'.

Yes

- Tottenham Hale - no idea.

A ferry, from the ferry across the Lea that was at this site (and you
would have to hail...)

- Blackhorse Road - I think this has a black horse.

It does. there is also a large bas-relief of the horse outside the
station, on the exterior wall

- Walthamstow Central - no idea.

I can't remember...

When the line opened, a leaflet was made with all the original station
murals on it (Walthamstow to Victoria).

--
Steve
Old July 17th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi guys --

Just dragged out my copy of "What's In A Name" (Harris, 2001 ed).

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

- King's Cross St. Pancras - a crown with a cross underneath. Fairly
obvious.

A cross of five crowns actually.

"The district took its present name from a statue of King George IV
which stood from 1830-45 at the crossroads here." I'd have expected the
5 crowns to be more symbolic, but maybe I'm reading too much into it

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has
two pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

No. A mediaeval castle. No reason why is given in the book.

Isel Dun - "A fortified enclosure" apparently. Recorded as Islyndon in 1554.

- Seven Sisters - I think this has seven trees which I think represent
seven trees that really did exist at one point and were called 'Seven
Sisters'.

Indeed. "A local legend"

"7 Sesters" recorded in 1754.

HTH

jx

--
Joel Rowbottom, joelatfotopicdotnet
13M+ photos :: 210+ countries :: Free gallery at http://fotopic.net

Old July 17th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It was a dark and stormy night when Epetruk wrote
in article ...
Anyone know what murals there are on the Victoria Line, and what they mean?

The ones I know of a

- Brixton - heap of bricks (i.e. a ton of bricks, or Brickston. Not very
imaginative)

- Stockwell - If I remember rightly, lots of zigzag lines. Not sure what
this means.

A stylised swan, isn't it?

- Vauxhall - something like leaves growing on a trellis. Again, nswtm.

- Pimlico - a grid with yellow circles in each square in the grid. Nswtm.

Supposedly a piece of abstract art, to reflect the Tate Gallery.

- Victoria - a silhouette of Queen Victoria (I presume).

- Green Park - some leaves (probably from trees in Green Park)

- Oxford Circus - snakes and ladders. I heard that this is supposed to
signify the confusion one encounters when changing from line to line here
(since there are three lines that intersect here).

- Warren Street - a maze - just as confusing as a rabbit warren, I guess.

- Euston - I think this has something like a portico. Nswtm.

The old portico from Euston overground station.

- King's Cross St. Pancras - a crown with a cross underneath. Fairly
obvious.

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has two
pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

Highbury was just outside the old city boundaries, and so people used to
go and fight duels there.

- Finsbury Park - I think this has a balloon, but I'm not sure, and I'm
nswtm either.

This is a mistake by LU; they thought balloons used to be launched here,
but in fact it was from Finsbury Pavement near Moorgate.

- Seven Sisters - I think this has seven trees which I think represent seven
trees that really did exist at one point and were called 'Seven Sisters'.

- Tottenham Hale - no idea.

A ferry boat, from the Lea ferry.

- Blackhorse Road - I think this has a black horse.

- Walthamstow Central - no idea.

A William Morris design; he was local.

--
Grebbsy McLaren
Old July 17th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:

- Oxford Circus - snakes and ladders. I heard that this is supposed to
signify the confusion one encounters when changing from line to line here
(since there are three lines that intersect here).

Yes, to all of these

This is only since the refurbishment; after a fire I seem to remember.
It used to have three suitably coloured lines in roughly the right
direction, passing through a circle, representing the three lines
serving the station.

- Walthamstow Central - no idea.

I can't remember...

It's a wallpaper or fabric design by William Morris, who lived nearby.

When the line opened, a leaflet was made with all the original station
murals on it (Walthamstow to Victoria).

It was also printed as a poster; I remember seeing it at the old poster
shop at Griffith House. I don't know if it's still available at the
museum shop, but I doubt it.

Old July 17th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Epetruk" wrote in message
Anyone know what murals there are on the Victoria Line, and what they
mean?

The ones I know of a

- Brixton - heap of bricks (i.e. a ton of bricks, or Brickston. Not very
imaginative)

Correct a pun on the name

- Stockwell - If I remember rightly, lots of zigzag lines. Not sure what
this means.

I believe this is a swan from a local pub

- Vauxhall - something like leaves growing on a trellis. Again, nswtm.

Represents the gates of Falks Hall (I think that's the correct spelling) Sir
Guy de Falke had a London home nearby (name corrupted to Vauxhall) As a
matter of interest his country house was near Luton where the Vauxhall
factory was built.

- Pimlico - a grid with yellow circles in each square in the grid. Nswtm.

Meant to represent a modern paining from the nearby Tate Gallery

- Victoria - a silhouette of Queen Victoria (I presume).

Correct

- Green Park - some leaves (probably from trees in Green Park)

Correct

- Oxford Circus - snakes and ladders. I heard that this is supposed to
signify the confusion one encounters when changing from line to line here
(since there are three lines that intersect here).

Represents the different coloured tube line that run there.

- Warren Street - a maze - just as confusing as a rabbit warren, I guess.

Correct

- Euston - I think this has something like a portico. Nswtm.

This is the Doric Arch that exsisted outside Euston Station when it was
first built, it was knocked down when the station was modernised, an act of
corporate vandalism.

- King's Cross St. Pancras - a crown with a cross underneath. Fairly
obvious.

Correct

- Highbury and Islington - I haven't been here in ages - I think it has
two
pistols crossed. If so, nswtm.

- Finsbury Park - I think this has a balloon, but I'm not sure, and I'm
nswtm either.

Is this correct? I thought it was a pair of dueling pistol as thisarea was
uses for dueling

- Seven Sisters - I think this has seven trees which I think represent
seven
trees that really did exist at one point and were called 'Seven Sisters'.

After the seven trees that were known as the senen sisters

- Tottenham Hale - no idea.

Is this not a representation of a ferry

- Blackhorse Road - I think this has a black horse.

Correct

- Walthamstow Central - no idea.

I think this has something to do with William Morris, who lived naerby.

--
Regards

Vauxhall

Old July 18th 05, 02:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Grebbsy McLaren" wrote in message
It was a dark and stormy night when Epetruk wrote
in article ...

- Finsbury Park - I think this has a balloon, but
I'm not sure, and I'm nswtm either.

This is a mistake by LU; they thought balloons used to be launched
here, but in fact it was from Finsbury Pavement near Moorgate.

I thought it was the contracted artist rather than LU who made the mistake.

The last time I was at FP (a couple of years ago), the balloon murals were
on the Piccadilly line platforms, and the duelling pistols were on the
Victoria Line platforms. I always thought that having different murals on
different lines is absurd - the mural is supposed to be a station identifier
for the illiterate, and so should be the same on all platforms at any one
station.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 18th 05, 02:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I just remembered this...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...or.html#Motifs

--