Old September 17th 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line This Morning

Delays on Vict. line this morning, defective train at Blackhorse.

When I got to Walthamstow (0820), trains on both platforms, got a seat at
front of "Next Train". SA kept saying "Mind the Doors" etc - Nothing
happened.

Ten minutes later a driver arrived, SA making announcements "Operator on
this train, please move forward, please move forward now". The driver
had'nt even got in the cab. SA kept making similar, rude toned
announcements, even when the train started moving.

Obviously the driver had got held up somewhere, I think he was on the defect
train earlier on.
I know the SA's can have a tough job, but having a go your own drivers, is
it really needed ?

Most SA's who I know do a damn good job, but occasionally the odd one
creates a lasting impression.

Old September 17th 03, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"simon" wrote in message ...
Delays on Vict. line this morning, defective train at Blackhorse.

I start commuting walthemstow central - white city on Monday, the
trips I've done so far suggest a 50 minute door-door so I'm planning
on 1h 10 just to be safe. How often are there delays (and how long) on
the victoria? how frequent are the overground trains?
Old September 17th 03, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
"simon" wrote in message

Delays on Vict. line this morning, defective train at Blackhorse.

I start commuting walthemstow central - white city on Monday, the
trips I've done so far suggest a 50 minute door-door so I'm planning
on 1h 10 just to be safe. How often are there delays (and how long) on
the victoria? how frequent are the overground trains?

The overground Chingford to Liv.st trains run every 15-20 mins, I've always
thought quite a good service. Seem to be more delays in the evening than
the morning. Next sure how busy the central line would be from Liv.st
toWhite City though.

The Victoria has been good for the last couple of months, very few major
delays. Last autumn/winter seemed worse than previous years.

Old September 17th 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Sep 2003 07:01:06 -0700, (Paul Weaver) wrote:

"simon" wrote in message ...
Delays on Vict. line this morning, defective train at Blackhorse.

I start commuting walthemstow central - white city on Monday, the
trips I've done so far suggest a 50 minute door-door so I'm planning
on 1h 10 just to be safe. How often are there delays (and how long) on
the victoria? how frequent are the overground trains?

Well I've been using the Vic Line for nearly 20 years. The service is
often pretty decent but every so often you get a "week of hell" when
something goes wrong every single day for a week. There seems to be a
strange pattern to such things - don't know why.

The main issues are train breakdowns and signals coupled with occasional
security / fire alerts.

Given you are using two of the busiest Tube Lines and changing at the
3rd busiest station I'd plan on an hour for a normal day for such a
trip. Also (and I accept it should not be necessary) plan some
emergency alternative routes such the H&C from KX to Shepherds Bush if
the Central is down. Piccadilly Line to Turnpike Lane for a 123 or 230
bus back to Walthamstow if the Vic Line has collapsed or else stay on a
Central to Leyton then a bus to Walthamstow or WAGN from Liv St. Very
useful to have some preplanned fall back routes so you can switch
automatically to an alternative instead of just stalling when faced with
serious disruption.

The overground is every 15 mins from about 7.30 - trains leave WWCS at
06,21,36 and 51 mins past the hour and the price is the same as the Tube
now so they are interavailable between Walthamstow Central and Liverpool
St. Obviously not an issue with a Travelcard but useful if you've bought
a single or return. The WAGN service can be reasonable and is a
pleasantish alternative to staring at tunnel walls.

HTH
--
Paul C

Old September 17th 03, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:12:09 +0000 (UTC) simon wrote:
}
} "Paul Weaver" wrote in message
} om...
} "simon" wrote in message
} ...
} Delays on Vict. line this morning, defective train at Blackhorse.
}
} I start commuting walthemstow central - white city on Monday, the
} trips I've done so far suggest a 50 minute door-door so I'm planning
} on 1h 10 just to be safe. How often are there delays (and how long) on
} the victoria? how frequent are the overground trains?
}
} The overground Chingford to Liv.st trains run every 15-20 mins, I've always
} thought quite a good service. Seem to be more delays in the evening than
} the morning. Next sure how busy the central line would be from Liv.st
} toWhite City though.

The Central tends to be crowded during rush hour and Liverpool Street is
busy. But there are many people getting off as well as on so there's
possbly a reasonable chance of getting a seat.

} The Victoria has been good for the last couple of months, very few major
} delays. Last autumn/winter seemed worse than previous years.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.