Old July 18th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What do you think about bus drivers ?

Hi,

first of all, sorry for my bad English.
I've been living in London for 2 years, and I'm still really surprised
sometimes by bus drivers.

They don't stop, they look at you as annoying people, driving like crazy
guy, not polite at all... I don't say they're all like that, but I've
often had bad experiences by taking the bus.

This weekend for example, he didn't want to sell us tickets maybe, and
talked to us in a rude way like if he was getting nervous.
He looked at us straight in the eyes, all the journey, and when we get
off the bus he gave us the finger...

Strange attitude isn't it ?

Old July 18th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Laurent Makowski" laurentm@mill3d wrote in message

He looked at us straight in the eyes, all the journey, and when we get off
the bus he gave us the finger...

You should have noted which bus, the registration number and the time and
made a complaint to the bus operating company. I had something similar
happen to me a while ago and the company took very positive action against
the driver.

Ian

Old July 18th 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Laurent Makowski wrote:
Hi,

first of all, sorry for my bad English.
I've been living in London for 2 years, and I'm still really surprised
sometimes by bus drivers.

They don't stop, they look at you as annoying people, driving like crazy
guy, not polite at all... I don't say they're all like that, but I've
often had bad experiences by taking the bus.

This weekend for example, he didn't want to sell us tickets maybe, and
talked to us in a rude way like if he was getting nervous.
He looked at us straight in the eyes, all the journey, and when we get
off the bus he gave us the finger...

Strange attitude isn't it ?

Three quick points to make.

(1) Bus drivers are not permitted to sell passengers tickets in the pay
before you board' area in the West End. This is denoted by the bus stop
displaying 'Pay before you board' and all the route numbers in yellow,
and you buy your tickets from the roadside machine. This is in my
opinion a good idea, but I've seen it cause arguments with bus drivers
- I don't know if that might have been the reason for him not selling
you tickets. Also, when boarding a bendy bus anywhere on it's route you
must have a ticket before you board.

(2) Driving buses in London must be hard work, and I'm willing to allow
for a bit of an aggressive driving style. Otherwise the bus might not
ever get anywhere!

(3) If the bus doesn't stop for you, perhaps you're at a request stop
and you haven't requested the bus to stop, or perhaps the bus is full.
I've seen people get very annoyed for both these reasons, when they
shouldn't.

That said, I've seen a fair bit of bad bus driving and bad attitude of
the drivers, including buses not stopping at stops (often when there's
another bus at that stop already, so the driver just races past), very
heavy braking rather than smooth braking (understandable if it avoids
an accident, but often it just causes the bus passengers to fall
about), and a somewhat moody manner of some drivers (despite the fact I
always smile on boarding the bus).

Perhaps the reason is that London buses, unlike their provincial
counterparts, have seperate exit doors which means passengers never get
to say 'thank you' on leaving the bus, as they do elsewhere. Perhaps
not.

Old July 18th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
Laurent Makowski wrote:
[...]

You forgot to mention the **** pay and conditions we have to work under.
Impossible time schedules, passenger abuse, management issue, road rage
issues etc......

Yes I'm a Bus Driver, I read some comments made by some users in this group
and I often have to wonder
if Bus Drivers are supposed to be robots. (We probably have to be at times)
I don't get involved with the public unless it's absolutely necessary. We
are all human at least most of us anyway.
Where corrective action against drivers is appropriate so be it.

Also there are a lot of malicious complaints made against drivers and we
haven't a leg to stand on.
A 'passenger' accused me of using my mobile phone and even the management
had to admit that I have never been reported for using my phone ever so it's
a false complaint.
Anyway I challenged them to produce video evidence of the alleged incident
which they couldn't.

I'm sure most of you would experience a massive culture shock working in the
bus industry even for a day.
It's a very stressful job at the best of times!
I could go on & on but the issues I would raise wouldn't be understood by
the majority of the users in this newsgroup so I won't bother.

Old July 18th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr T wrote:

You forgot to mention the **** pay and conditions we have to work under.

At least one of the major bus companies around here (Arriva) advertise
earnings of £500 a week (including overtime). I think many would be very
greatful for that sort of pay.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK

Old July 18th 05, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
Mr T wrote:

You forgot to mention the **** pay and conditions we have to work under.

At least one of the major bus companies around here (Arriva) advertise
earnings of £500 a week (including overtime). I think many would be very
greatful for that sort of pay.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Home Page: http://www.philrichards1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Don't be fooled by the glossy adverts and ****.

First of all that £500 is before any stoppages.

Second you have to work at least 50 hours a week for that probably 6 days.

I take it that you are still interested!!
Give Arriva a call on their freephone number I'm sure they will enlighten
you further.

Old July 19th 05, 07:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Phil Richards
writes
Mr T wrote:

You forgot to mention the **** pay and conditions we have to work under.

At least one of the major bus companies around here (Arriva) advertise
earnings of £500 a week (including overtime). I think many would be very
greatful for that sort of pay.

How much do you earn then, for doing precisely what? Does your work
include being at danger from verbal and physical assault from irrational
members of the public, being blown up by irrational terrorists, harried
by an often irrational management, whose actions have often inflamed the
irrational public? I think not.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old July 19th 05, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nicholas D Richards" wrote in message

Does your work
include being at danger from verbal and physical assault from irrational
members of the public, being blown up by irrational terrorists, harried
by an often irrational management, whose actions have often inflamed the
irrational public? I think not.

No one is forcing them to do the job. I don't see why the (rational members
of the) public should have to be at the end of their acid-tongued insults
and sour faces just because they're unhappy with their lot. They could
always go for jobs as prison warders or traffic wardens instead - it would
certainly better suit the average bus driver's demeanour, his total distaste
for the service culture and his total lack of communication or interpersonal
skills.

Ian

Old July 19th 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"Nicholas D Richards" wrote in message

Does your work
include being at danger from verbal and physical assault from
irrational members of the public, being blown up by irrational
terrorists, harried by an often irrational management, whose actions
have often inflamed the irrational public? I think not.

No one is forcing them to do the job. I don't see why the (rational
members of the) public should have to be at the end of their
acid-tongued insults and sour faces just because they're unhappy with
their lot. They could always go for jobs as prison warders or traffic
wardens instead - it would certainly better suit the average bus
driver's demeanour, his total distaste for the service culture and
his total lack of communication or interpersonal skills.

Which sector of the British public doesn't have a "total distaste for the
service culture and ... total lack of communication or interpersonal
skills".

If they have impeccable customer service skills when they start, many lose
them once they've dealt with Joe Public for any length of time since not
only is JP is totally unwilling to acknowledge a good job well done but
constantly picks holes and whinges.

Old July 19th 05, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Ian F.
writes
"Nicholas D Richards" wrote in message

Does your work
include being at danger from verbal and physical assault from irrational
members of the public, being blown up by irrational terrorists, harried
by an often irrational management, whose actions have often inflamed the
irrational public? I think not.

No one is forcing them to do the job. I don't see why the (rational members
of the) public should have to be at the end of their acid-tongued insults
and sour faces just because they're unhappy with their lot. They could
always go for jobs as prison warders or traffic wardens instead - it would
certainly better suit the average bus driver's demeanour, his total distaste
for the service culture and his total lack of communication or interpersonal
skills.

Ian

Try a genuine smile and a genuine 'good morning' (as appropriate), it
usually works. The driver will feel better and so will you.

I can think of not a few drivers, who see me on the wrong side of the
road, as I come out of my house, who will see me and stop and wait at
the next stop for me. Smiles go a long way.

I write as a non-public service pensioner on less than 500 GBP a week.
So I do not have an axe to grind. Phil Richards has still not told us
what he earns and for what.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"