Old April 20th 12, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What would Oyster do, and what does it think I did?

I went from East Croydon to Chiswick by train, using Oyster pre-pay, and
forgot to touch out. As it wasn't my first journey of the day, the
unresolved journey charge would have passed my daily cap. In this case,
does the cap apply?

When I remembered, I touched out at Acton Main Line. I think I was charged
£1.60. How could I have got from East Croydon to Acton Main Line without
passing through a barrier or zone 1? Or did it guess the truth, that I
cycled from another station?

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.

Old April 21st 12, 06:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Fri, 20
Apr 2012 18:59:37 in uk.transport.london,
writes
In article op.wc25l8rpby8eno@11-11-11,
(Colin
McKenzie) wrote:

I went from East Croydon to Chiswick by train, using Oyster pre-pay,
and forgot to touch out. As it wasn't my first journey of the day,
the unresolved journey charge would have passed my daily cap. In
this case, does the cap apply?

If you had not touched out, you would have been charged £6.90 peak or
£4.60 off-peak for entering the system.

When I remembered, I touched out at Acton Main Line. I think I was
charged £1.60. How could I have got from East Croydon to Acton Main
Line without passing through a barrier or zone 1? Or did it guess
the truth, that I cycled from another station?

The system does not care if you touch at intermediate stations, except
to choose an Alternative oyster single fare.
£1.60 suggests it got it wrong and undercharged you.
Relevant numbers are £5.90 peak and £4.10 off-peak with the alternative
via Clapham Junction, Shepherd's Bush (or West Brompton and Earl's
Court) and Ealing Broadway shown by a pink validator touch at West
Brompton at £3.10 peak and £2.10 off peak.
cf.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...efinder/curren
t/default.aspx?mode=alternate&on=East+Croydon+[National+Rail]&dn=Acton+M
ain+Line+[National+Rail]&ft=Adult

Might £1.60 represent the sum to reach your daily cap? £15.80 peak or
£8.50 off-peak.

Ring the Oyster Helpline?

That is always a good way to spend at least 20 minutes.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old April 21st 12, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message op.wc25l8rpby8eno@11-11-11, at 23:47:49 on Fri, 20 Apr
2012, Colin McKenzie remarked:
How could I have got from East Croydon to Acton Main Line without
passing through a barrier or zone 1?

Clapham Junction, Richmond, Turnham Green, Ealing Broadway?
Old April 21st 12, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 09:11:19 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:
In message op.wc25l8rpby8eno@11-11-11, at 23:47:49 on Fri, 20 Apr
2012, Colin McKenzie remarked:
How could I have got from East Croydon to Acton Main Line without
passing through a barrier or zone 1?

Clapham Junction, Richmond, Turnham Green, Ealing Broadway?

Yeuk. But yes, that sounds valid.

Sounds like the touch-out at AML saved me several pounds.

Thanks, all.

Colin McKenzie

Old April 21st 12, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 23:47:49 +0100, "Colin McKenzie"
wrote:

I went from East Croydon to Chiswick by train, using Oyster pre-pay, and
forgot to touch out. As it wasn't my first journey of the day, the
unresolved journey charge would have passed my daily cap. In this case,
does the cap apply?

The cap does not apply if there is an unresolved journey.

Is that completely correct?

Or a lazy way of saying:

The unresolved journey is not included in capping.

tim

Old April 21st 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:42:49 on Sat, 21 Apr
2012, tim.... remarked:
The cap does not apply if there is an unresolved journey.

Is that completely correct?

Or a lazy way of saying:

The unresolved journey is not included in capping.

The unresolved journey is outwith the capping, perhaps?
Old April 21st 12, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...urrent/default
..aspx?mode=alternate&on=East+Croydon+[National+Rail]&dn=Acton+Main+Line+[Nati
onal+Rail]&ft=Adult

Might £1.60 represent the sum to reach your daily cap? £15.80 peak or
£8.50 off-peak.

Ring the Oyster Helpline?

That is always a good way to spend at least 20 minutes.

If you have the right telephone calling plan you get up to an hour for free.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 22nd 12, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 22:30:33 +0100, wrote:

If you had not touched out, you would have been charged £6.90 peak or
£4.60 off-peak for entering the system.

When I remembered, I touched out at Acton Main Line. I think I was
charged £1.60. ...

The system does not care if you touch at intermediate stations, except
to choose an Alternative oyster single fare.
£1.60 suggests it got it wrong and undercharged you.
Relevant numbers are £5.90 peak and £4.10 off-peak with the alternative
via Clapham Junction, Shepherd's Bush (or West Brompton and Earl's
Court) and Ealing Broadway shown by a pink validator touch at West
Brompton at £3.10 peak and £2.10 off peak.

That's not so good. I think I had £5.70 on the card at the start of the
journey, so I was probably charged £4.10 and left £1.60. I never could
tell whether the amount shown on the machine was deduction or balance.

In that case I saved a whole 50p by touching out - and spent about £2 more
than if I'd touched out at Chiswick, judging by what I paid the other way.

Colin McKenzie

Old April 23rd 12, 07:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 21 April 2012 09:11:19 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

Clapham Junction, Richmond, Turnham Green, Ealing Broadway?

Or Clap Jct, Ken Olymp, Earl's Court etc...