London Banter

-   -   Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3295-mayor-kens-secret-plan-rid.html)

Colin July 20th 05 10:57 PM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Err, if I was one for hyperbole I would have chose the subject line
without my tongue being firmly in my cheek, possibly 'Problem with TfL
Journey Planner' might have been less attention grabbing subject line.
Still ...

I think the TfL Journey Planner, http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk is quite
useful, if you take the advanced options you'll find some options to help
you plan cycle routes - an effort in the right direction I think.

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me from
Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take me along
the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that stretch of
moterway on my bicycle before - the real problem being getting my bike up
to the elevated section without absailing equipment. In the end I did
decide on a route of my own, around Shepherds Bush Green - probably not
any safer though.

There is a small part of my conspiratorial mind that makes me think it
might be part of a wider plan though.

What says you all?

Neil Williams July 20th 05 11:06 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:57:32 +0100, Colin wrote:

There is a small part of my conspiratorial mind that makes me think it
might be part of a wider plan though.

What says you all?

I'd say that cycle routes are very subjective as there are many
factors that can make them good or bad to any given individual
cyclist, and as such they're best planned with a map and experience.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Simon Hewison July 20th 05 11:29 PM

Neil Williams wrote:
I'd say that cycle routes are very subjective as there are many
factors that can make them good or bad to any given individual
cyclist, and as such they're best planned with a map and experience.

I'd also say that the lie of the land comes into it, which an A-Z won't
show hills; my route to work has a cycle path most of the way, but ends
up going up and down hill far more than taking the main road, which is
mostly flat.

--
Simon Hewison

MartinM July 20th 05 11:31 PM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

you can't absail (or even abseil) _up_ , you have to prusik ;-)

but ITYF there is a cycleable route between the two involving neither
of the above, done it myself ( a while ago though)

Colin July 20th 05 11:38 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:31:05 -0700, MartinM wrote:

you can't absail (or even abseil) _up_ , you have to prusik ;-)

I suspected that absailing was a one-way persuit ;-)

but ITYF there is a cycleable route between the two involving neither
of the above, done it myself ( a while ago though)

Over the railway line? I work in Bard Road, know, or thought I knew, the
Westway Sports Centre area, and can think of nothing that goes over the
railway line at that point.

Can you remember any clues?

Tony Raven July 21st 05 05:50 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Colin wrote:

What says you all?

I say, as I've said many times before, use http://www.cyclemaps.com *.
It may not be perfect (I believe it started from the same TfL database)
but the last time someone pointed out the use of a helicopter the guy
went out that weekend and sorted it, as he has other mapping errors I've
found. In the end though there is no substitute from the knowledge
built up from experience.

--
Tony

Anon

*
Quiet route:
BARD ROAD for 216 meters
Turn left onto FRESTON ROAD for 223 meters
Go straight on PATH UNDER FLYOVER for 115 meters
Go straight on STABLE WAY for 199 meters
Go straight on LATIMER ROAD for 517 meters
Turn left onto NORTH POLE ROAD for 84 meters
Turn left onto EYNHAM ROAD for 222 meters
Turn right onto NASCOT STREET for 122 meters
Turn left onto WOOD LANE for 15 meters
Turn right onto DU CANE ROAD for 1,319 meters
Turn left onto HILARY ROAD for 66 meters
Turn right onto NORBROKE STREET for 231 meters
Turn left onto OLD OAK COMMON LANE for 64 meters
Go straight on OLD OAK ROAD for 15 meters
Go straight on OLD OAK COMMON LANE for 77 meters
Go straight on EAST ACTON LANE for 225 meters
Turn left onto for 33 meters
Turn left onto GLENDUN ROAD for 49 meters
Turn left onto BOWES ROAD

Direct Route

BARD ROAD 216 METRES
TURN LEFT FRESTON ROAD 223 METRES
AHEAD PATH UNDER FLYOVER 115 METRES
AHEAD STABLE WAY 199 METRES
AHEAD LATIMER ROAD 517 METRES
TURN LEFT NORTH POLE ROAD 162 METRES
TURN LEFT WOOD LANE 222 METRES
TURN RIGHT DU CANE ROAD 1,319 METRES
TURN LEFT HILARY ROAD 66 METRES
TURN RIGHT NORBROKE STREET 231 METRES
TURN LEFT OLD OAK COMMON LANE 64 METRES
AHEAD OLD OAK ROAD 15 METRES
TURN RIGHT WESTERN AVENUE 228 METRES
TURN LEFT GLENDUN ROAD 99 METRES
TURN RIGHT BOWES ROAD 193 METRES

Tony W July 21st 05 05:54 AM

"Colin" wrote in message
Err, if I was one for hyperbole I would have chose the subject line
without my tongue being firmly in my cheek, possibly 'Problem with TfL
Journey Planner' might have been less attention grabbing subject line.
Still ...

I think the TfL Journey Planner, http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk is quite
useful, if you take the advanced options you'll find some options to help
you plan cycle routes - an effort in the right direction I think.

snip

You caused me to look at the site and try (as a thought experiment only) its
suggestion for a journey I used to do regularly. It suggests 42 minutes
cycling and a rather ziggy zaggy route -- presumably to avoid the Lea Bridge
Road -- which I would regard as perfectly cyclable. Memory suggests the
more direct route could be done comfortably inside 30 minutes -- though that
included a short cut through Epping Forest that could get soggy in the
winter.

The alternatives using buses and tubes all came out in the 1:10 to 1:20
range -- partly because the start point is nearly a mile from a bus stop or
tube station -- though gave some interesting alternatives I would not
necessarily have considered.

Looking at Transport Direct (http://www.transportdirect.info) the public
transport times were very similar.

However, the door to door car time suggested is 39 minutes for 8.3 miles
(again, by a reasonable route but not one that I would not have picked as a
local with local knowledge). The time sounds a little pessimistic on a good
day and wildly optimistic on a bad one.

What is concealed in the car time is that it is impossible to park within
1/2 to 3/4 mile of the destination so you need to add a further 10 minutes
walking time.

The future of transport in cities is clear :~)

John Hearns July 21st 05 07:22 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:57:32 +0100, Colin wrote:

I think the TfL Journey Planner, http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk is quite
useful, if you take the advanced options you'll find some options to help
you plan cycle routes - an effort in the right direction I think.

There is http://www.londoncyclenetwork.org
Click on the 'Mapping' link.

I just tried it, and the maps to my eye are not as clear
as the paper ones.

MatSav July 21st 05 08:06 AM

"Colin" wrote in message
Err, if I was one for hyperbole I would have chose the subject line
without my tongue being firmly in my cheek, possibly 'Problem with TfL
Journey Planner' might have been less attention grabbing subject line.
Still ...

I think the TfL Journey Planner, http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk is quite
useful, if you take the advanced options you'll find some options to help
you plan cycle routes - an effort in the right direction I think.

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me from
Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take me along
the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that stretch of
moterway on my bicycle before - the real problem being getting my bike up
to the elevated section without absailing equipment.

The A40(M) isn't actually a motorway any more. See
URL:http://pathetic.org.uk/motorways/a40m.htm
So, it's perfectly legal to cycle along that stretch of road - unless
there's a Traffic Restriction Order in place. I don't know where you'll be
able to check that.

Incidentally, you'll NEVER get your bike UP with absailing equipment -
that's designed for going DOWN ;-)

--
MatSav

Jeremy Collins July 21st 05 08:07 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:57:32 +0100, Colin wrote:

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me from
Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take me along
the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that stretch of
moterway on my bicycle before

Is that legal? I live near the A1(M) and certainly wouldn't cycle on it
(although I have had to ride on the A1 a couple of times).

--
jc

[email protected] July 21st 05 09:06 AM

Tony Raven wrote:
Colin wrote:

What says you all?

I say, as I've said many times before, use http://www.cyclemaps.com *.
It may not be perfect (I believe it started from the same TfL database)
but the last time someone pointed out the use of a helicopter the guy
went out that weekend and sorted it, as he has other mapping errors I've
found. In the end though there is no substitute from the knowledge
built up from experience.

Cyclemaps suggests I go through Pentonville Prison on my way to
work, which is amusing, but the map shows a correct route.

TFL comes up with a route that avoids King's Cross, and gets
the journey time spot on at 17 minutes. However it suggests
going through Euston station gardens, which might prove difficult.

Tony Raven July 21st 05 09:16 AM

wrote:

Cyclemaps suggests I go through Pentonville Prison on my way to
work, which is amusing, but the map shows a correct route.

Did you use the Monopoly version. "Go to jail, go directly to jail, do
not pass GO, do not collect £200"

P.S. Drop your jail observation to the site contact if its an error and
he will fix it. The more people that use it and do so the more useful
it will become to all of us and I don't know of another site that is
concerned about and fixes such errors promptly

--
Tony

Anon

Adrian July 21st 05 09:19 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Neil Williams ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

I'd say that cycle routes are very subjective as there are many
factors that can make them good or bad to any given individual
cyclist, and as such they're best planned with a map and experience.

I think it's fairly reasonable for them to set the software to exclude the
A40(M) from a cycling route, though...

Adrian July 21st 05 09:21 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Jeremy Collins ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me
from Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take
me along the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that
stretch of moterway on my bicycle before

Is that legal? I live near the A1(M) and certainly wouldn't cycle on
it

Y'know, I was always under the impression that the Highway Code applied to
cyclists, and that they were meant to *read* it occasionally...?

shrug
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#227

Would you like to hazard a guess as to what the (M) stands for?

MartinM July 21st 05 09:34 AM

Colin wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:31:05 -0700, MartinM wrote:

you can't absail (or even abseil) _up_ , you have to prusik ;-)

I suspected that absailing was a one-way persuit ;-)

but ITYF there is a cycleable route between the two involving neither
of the above, done it myself ( a while ago though)

Over the railway line? I work in Bard Road, know, or thought I knew, the
Westway Sports Centre area, and can think of nothing that goes over the
railway line at that point.

Can you remember any clues?

I think there is a bridge under by the scrapyard right under the road
interchange. Hardly very salubrious but nicer than Shepherd's Bush

MartinM July 21st 05 09:38 AM

Jeremy Collins wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:57:32 +0100, Colin wrote:

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me from
Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take me along
the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that stretch of
moterway on my bicycle before

Is that legal? I live near the A1(M) and certainly wouldn't cycle on it
(although I have had to ride on the A1 a couple of times).

the A40 has been declassified on the Westway, no longer a motorway,
though there may still be a cycling ban, will check tomorrow.

davek July 21st 05 09:55 AM

Tony W wrote:
The future of transport in cities is clear :~)

That reminds me, did anyone see the excellent piece by Polly Toynbee in
yesterday's Grauniad?

"Let the Olympics make London a bikes-first city "
url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1532002,00.html

url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,,1533000,00.html

d.

Tony Raven July 21st 05 09:56 AM

Adrian wrote:

Y'know, I was always under the impression that the Highway Code applied to
cyclists, and that they were meant to *read* it occasionally...?

shrug
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#227

Would you like to hazard a guess as to what the (M) stands for?

I guess the question is how many times have you seen someone cycling on
a motorway (Kenyan team at the Manchester Commonwealth Games excluded)
versus how many times have I seen cars and motorbikes driven on
bridleways? Bet my number is bigger than yours.

--
Tony

Anon

Adrian July 21st 05 10:08 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Tony Raven ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I guess the question is how many times have you seen someone cycling
on a motorway (Kenyan team at the Manchester Commonwealth Games
excluded) versus how many times have I seen cars and motorbikes driven
on bridleways? Bet my number is bigger than yours.

Are we back to trying to figure out how many wrongs make a right?

People driving cars and riding motorbikes over RoW without a vehicular
right of way are in the wrong. Simple as that. They should not be there.

However, don't forget that some Bridleways are BOATs, though, and that
vehicles don't need an explicit RoW if they have the landowner's
permission.

Most people cycling on Footpaths are in the wrong, too.

David Hansen July 21st 05 10:41 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

On 21 Jul 2005 02:38:58 -0700 someone who may be "MartinM"
wrote this:-

the A40 has been declassified on the Westway, no longer a motorway,

Indeed. According to uk.transport this was part of an anti-motorist
plan by Ken Livingstone. All the little bits of motorway in London
(parts of the plans to destroy London with motorways that were never
carried out) which the road lobby were hoping would eventually be
linked up have been "declassified".

It would be nice to think that they would soon start removing these
roads, but in reality Mr Livingstone wants to build more motorways,
as the so-called Thames Gateway Bridge clearly illustrates.

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/page.php?pageid=425
http://www.transport2000.org.uk/camp...afficBrief.htm
and
http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/press_..._19082004.html
present an alternative view of this folly to Mr Livingstone's.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Jeremy Collins July 21st 05 10:50 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:21:22 +0100, Adrian wrote:

Jeremy Collins ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me
from Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take
me along the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that
stretch of moterway on my bicycle before

Is that legal? I live near the A1(M) and certainly wouldn't cycle on
it

Y'know, I was always under the impression that the Highway Code applied
cyclists, and that they were meant to *read* it occasionally...?

shrug
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#227

Would you like to hazard a guess as to what the (M) stands for?

I know perfectly well what the M stands for. I think you misunderstood
my post.

--
jc

Tony Raven July 21st 05 10:52 AM

Adrian wrote:
Tony Raven ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I guess the question is how many times have you seen someone cycling
on a motorway (Kenyan team at the Manchester Commonwealth Games
excluded) versus how many times have I seen cars and motorbikes driven
on bridleways? Bet my number is bigger than yours.

Are we back to trying to figure out how many wrongs make a right?

So I take it the answer is you have never seen someone cycling on a
motorway. So much for your HC ignorant cyclists.

However, don't forget that some Bridleways are BOATs, though, and that
vehicles don't need an explicit RoW if they have the landowner's
permission.

No BOATs and Bridleways are different. Only the fast disappearing RUPPs
have variable access rights for motor vehicles and most of those will be
reclassified as Restricted Byways with no motor vehicle rights.

--
Tony

Anon

Tom Anderson July 21st 05 11:13 AM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Neil Williams wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:57:32 +0100, Colin wrote:

There is a small part of my conspiratorial mind that makes me think it
might be part of a wider plan though.

What says you all?

I'd say that cycle routes are very subjective as there are many factors
that can make them good or bad to any given individual cyclist, and as
such they're best planned with a map and experience.

To some extent. Certainly, people have different likes and dislikes for
their routes, but i think there's a reasonable amount of agreement about
what makes a good route. The problem is that the mapping sites don't
incorporate that - they just find the shortest route over the roads,
possibly avoiding classes of roads which they think are scary for
cyclists.

An idea i've been kicking around for a while is to start a website - a
sort of 'cyclist's rutter' - collecting people's tried and tested routes,
broken up into routes between key nodal points, so that someone wanting to
get from A to B can come along and pick out route components which will
help them. This would beat just using a map, since it would incorporate
human judgement on the routes. The routes could also be annotated with
comments, pictures, directions, whatever, which would make them more
useful.

tom

--
The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. -- Voltaire

Adrian July 21st 05 11:22 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Tony Raven ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

I guess the question is how many times have you seen someone cycling
on a motorway (Kenyan team at the Manchester Commonwealth Games
excluded) versus how many times have I seen cars and motorbikes driven
on bridleways? Bet my number is bigger than yours.

Are we back to trying to figure out how many wrongs make a right?

So I take it the answer is you have never seen someone cycling on a
motorway. So much for your HC ignorant cyclists.

I have, actually. But not many people are stupid enough, it's true.

Bear in mind, though, that my post was in response to Jeremy explicitly
asking if cycling on a motorway was legal - to which he really ought to
know the answer.

That doesn't alter the fundamental lack of a 2:1 exchange rate between
wrongs and rights. I've never seen anybody stealing a car, but that
doesn't mean shoplifting is okay, just because more people do it.

No BOATs and Bridleways are different.

You are, of course, right. I was mentally thinking of BOAT as Bridleway
Open to All Traffic, when it is - of course - a Byway Open to All Traffic.
Mea Culpa.

Only the fast disappearing RUPPs have variable access rights for motor
vehicles and most of those will be reclassified as Restricted Byways with
no motor vehicle rights.

Don't remind me. It would seem that exclusive use of 95% of RoWs isn't
enough for some people, and they want over 98% - but, presumably, they
STILL won't be happy. Selfishness abounds, as usual.
(http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...issues/public/)

Adrian July 21st 05 11:25 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Jeremy Collins ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Would you like to hazard a guess as to what the (M) stands for?

I know perfectly well what the M stands for. I think you misunderstood
my post.

Forgive me. I naively assumed that you asking "Is that legal" in response
to a comment about cycling on the A40(M), then going on to say you didn't
fancy cycling on the A1(M) was along the general lines of you asking if it
was legal to cycle on Motorway-classified roads.

Dave Larrington July 21st 05 11:30 AM

David Hansen wrote:

Indeed. According to uk.transport this was part of an anti-motorist
plan by Ken Livingstone. All the little bits of motorway in London
(parts of the plans to destroy London with motorways that were never
carried out) which the road lobby were hoping would eventually be
linked up have been "declassified".

Yay! Ken Leninspart and his black helichopters terrorise uk.tosspot!

However, in spite of the "downgrading" of the assorted proto-motorways,
AFAIK cycling is still Policely Forbidden thereupon, as it is on certain
other not-now-and-never-have-been-a-motorway roads, such as the tunnel and
flyover sections of the A406.

Stop it! You're scarin' the Hippo...

dkahn400 July 21st 05 11:45 AM

Dave Larrington wrote:

AFAIK cycling is still Policely Forbidden thereupon, as it is on
certain other not-now-and-never-have-been-a-motorway roads, such
as the tunnel and flyover sections of the A406.

All of them? I've cycled over the flyover bit by the start of the M1 a
few times without noticing a "No Cycling" sign. Oh dear, was I bad?
ISTR there are cycling-free bits up towards Whipps Cross.

--
Dave...

Dave Larrington July 21st 05 12:17 PM

dkahn400 wrote:

All of them? I've cycled over the flyover bit by the start of the M1 a
few times without noticing a "No Cycling" sign. Oh dear, was I bad?
ISTR there are cycling-free bits up towards Whipps Cross.

I'm pretty sure there's a "No cycling" sign at the eastbound end of the
Staples Corner flyover; there certainly is at the one by the end of the M11
and in the Fore Street tunnel. I think there are others in the vicinity of
The Death Of The Soul and further round towards Barking.

The elder stoat leads, in all circumstances.

John Hearns July 21st 05 02:57 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:41:49 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

Indeed. According to uk.transport this was part of an anti-motorist
plan by Ken Livingstone. All the little bits of motorway in London
(parts of the plans to destroy London with motorways that were never
carried out) which the road lobby were hoping would eventually be linked
up have been "declassified".

No, not 'anti-motorist' at all.
I read on a website that this was due to the roads in question being
given to Transport for London to run. TfL cannot by law run motorways,
so these short stretches had to be declassified.
I may be wrong - and stand to be corrected.
On the short section from Shepherd's Bush up to join the A40 Westway there
is a cycling ban. 50mph limit on that stretch also.

John Hearns July 21st 05 03:06 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:13:12 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

An idea i've been kicking around for a while is to start a website - a
sort of 'cyclist's rutter' - collecting people's tried and tested routes,
broken up into routes between key nodal points, so that someone wanting to
get from A to B can come along and pick out route components which will
help them.

I've kicked about ideas for a London cyclists Wiki.
A Wiki would be ideal for your idea here.

John Hearns July 21st 05 03:08 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:19:26 +0000, Adrian wrote:

I think it's fairly reasonable for them to set the software to exclude the
A40(M) from a cycling route, though...

No A40(M) or any other M's in London (except the biggies 3,4, 11, 25 etc).
There should be signs on the on-ramps prohibiting cyclists,
horses and carts and small-capacity mopeds though.
I'll agree that having them on a journey planner is a bit daft.

David Martin July 21st 05 03:31 PM

MatSav wrote:

Incidentally, you'll NEVER get your bike UP with absailing equipment -
that's designed for going DOWN ;-)

Is that a challenge? IIRC the main feature of such a piece of equipment
is to prevent the rope from slipping past too quickly.. And such an
arrangement can easily be modified to work for going up as well as
down.. (says the bloke who has absailed using almost everything from
'classic' to the latest and greatest fancy bits..) A prusik knot is a
pain in the **** for ascending, there are many better variants out
there.

...d

Adrian July 21st 05 03:38 PM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

MatSav ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

The A40(M) isn't actually a motorway any more. See
URL:http://pathetic.org.uk/motorways/a40m.htm

****up.
Brewery.

Dave Larrington July 21st 05 04:11 PM

John Hearns wrote:

No, not 'anti-motorist' at all.
I read on a website that this was due to the roads in question being
given to Transport for London to run. TfL cannot by law run motorways,
so these short stretches had to be declassified.
I may be wrong - and stand to be corrected.
On the short section from Shepherd's Bush up to join the A40 Westway
there is a cycling ban. 50mph limit on that stretch also.

That's the story on pathetic.org.uk. My mate Ian was once clobbered riding
on the A102(M) at three in the morning, so he rode up the Old Ford slip
road, waited until the dibbles had cleared off and carried on. Back then
most of it had a 60 mph limit - nowadays it's 40 from the M11 link road all
the way to the Blackwall tunnel.

Historians' Right To Work Campaign - We Demand A Continuing Supply Of
History!

davek July 21st 05 05:37 PM

David Hansen wrote:
as the so-called Thames Gateway Bridge clearly illustrates.

Thames Gateway Bridge? Isn't that the one they started building a few
years ago and then gave up?

The bits of it they actually built are still visible - on the docklands
road near the Beckton Savacentre, right by the old gasworks where they
filmed Full Metal Jacket. (Well, they were still there last time I
looked, but come to think of it, it's four years since I moved out of
east London... the area was pretty much derelict at the time but is by
now probably a thriving residential estate for "executives"...)

d.

John Hearns July 21st 05 07:40 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:37:38 -0700, davek wrote:

David Hansen wrote:
as the so-called Thames Gateway Bridge clearly illustrates.

Thames Gateway Bridge? Isn't that the one they started building a few
years ago and then gave up?

The bits of it they actually built are still visible - on the docklands
road near the Beckton Savacentre, right by the old gasworks where they
filmed Full Metal Jacket. (Well, they were still there last time I looked,
but come to think of it, it's four years since I moved out of east
London... the area was pretty much derelict at the time but is by now
probably a thriving residential estate for "executives"...)

The gasworks site and the bridge are still there.

A huge new Tescos plus associated shops has been built, plus new access
roads so there will be housing there soon.
We do rides there on occasion, and always stop to comment on Full Metal
Jacket.

There is a new path implemented, which runs from Tescos to the river at
the gasworks piers (where the coal was unloaded) then past the sewage farm
and the up Barking Creek.
Last time I was in the area the path was not open.

I might be starting a rumour, but I think a pedestrian bridge over Barking
Creek is on the cards.

If you are in the area, make sure to go east of the Creek and visit
Dagenham City Farm. Excellent cheap food, big roast dinners on Sunday.

Tom Anderson July 22nd 05 12:19 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, John Hearns wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:13:12 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

An idea i've been kicking around for a while is to start a website - a
sort of 'cyclist's rutter' - collecting people's tried and tested
routes, broken up into routes between key nodal points, so that someone
wanting to get from A to B can come along and pick out route components
which will help them.

I've kicked about ideas for a London cyclists Wiki.
A Wiki would be ideal for your idea here.

I think you could be right there. Bide your time, my friend, for soon our
plans will come to fruition ...

tom

--
Batman always wins

mark July 22nd 05 05:15 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

"David Martin" wrote ...

MatSav wrote:

Incidentally, you'll NEVER get your bike UP with absailing equipment -
that's designed for going DOWN ;-)

Is that a challenge? IIRC the main feature of such a piece of equipment
is to prevent the rope from slipping past too quickly.. And such an
arrangement can easily be modified to work for going up as well as
down.. (says the bloke who has absailed using almost everything from
'classic' to the latest and greatest fancy bits..) A prusik knot is a
pain in the **** for ascending, there are many better variants out
there.

..d

"Ab" is the German word for "down", "seil" is the German word for rope. To
abseil is to descend a rope using a braking device.
The abseiling equipment that I've used (everything from the Dulfersitz to a
Gri-Gri , which only works on a single strand) prevents the abseiler from
slipping down the rope too quickly by wrapping the rope around something,
usually a locking carabiner. Since the rope has to be held in tension in
order for the abseiling device to work, it's going to be rather difficult to
move the abseiling device up the rope, although the abseiling device and the
attached climber/abseiler can be allowed to slide down the rope pretty
easily by moderating tension on the unanchored end of the rope and letting
gravity do the work. I'm not sure what you classify as abseiling equipment,
but nothing that I've used to abseil with would be especialy suited for
ascending, except perhaps short distances on low angle slabs.
--
mark

David Martin July 22nd 05 08:17 AM

Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

mark wrote:
"David Martin" wrote ...

MatSav wrote:

[...]

Obviously it isn't ideal for ascending, but that doesn't mean it can't
be done ;-)

I could probably do SRT with a petzl stop and a figure eight (or a
couple of spare karabiners and a cows tail, or a spare sling, or...

Adaptability is the name of the game. You can spot the serious climbers
cos they have 250kg breaking strain bootlaces..

...d

MartinM July 22nd 05 09:47 AM

David Martin wrote:

Obviously it isn't ideal for ascending, but that doesn't mean it can't
be done ;-)

I could probably do SRT with a petzl stop and a figure eight (or a
couple of spare karabiners and a cows tail, or a spare sling, or...

Adaptability is the name of the game. You can spot the serious climbers
cos they have 250kg breaking strain bootlaces..

AFAIK apart from a prussik (sp?) knot the only useful bit of kit for
climbing a rope is a Croll (I only know of Petzl ones but there may be
others) or maybe a Shunt in extremis. You can't attach a fig8 or Stop
to a loaded rope.