Old July 22nd 05, 02:06 PM posted to alt.politics.libertarian,alt.world,uk.transport.london

Default What happens when the state has a monopoly on deadly force

Please remove alt.med.fibromyalgia when replying to this post.

Brimstone schreef:
Deuteros wrote:
Brummie_In_London wrote in
:

Deuteros spawned some crap which read thus:

The problem seems to be that you don't understand what the problem
is.

Unless, of course, you don't have a problem with police officers
turning into the judge, jury, and executioner.

The problem is one of balance.
Did the suspect run from officers he knew to be armed?
YES
Did the suspect ignore repeated calls to stop?
YES
Was the suspect aware that there had been successful and attempted
bombings in the last fortnight?
YES (Otherwise he would be the answer all of the conspiracy theorists
have been looking for)
He knew the risk, he either assessed them incorrectly; and, as I said
before - stupidity is not an excuse; or, he was an armed combatant
and deserved to die.

On the opposite side of the scales:
Did the officers open fire discriminately?
NO
Was anybody else, except the suspect, physically hurt by this
incident? NO
Did the suspect give any indication of giving himself up?
NO
How many people actually died?
ONE
How many potential deaths would there have been?
MANY

By the way, the only way to deal with a known or suspected suicide
bomber is to shoot them in the head, chest shots may activate the
device, any attempts to wound them mean that they still have the
capacity to detonate their device. ALL security forces are trained
to use a double-tap to stop their targets... so all I can suspect is
that 3 officers shot him and one of them suffered from a weapon jam.
I'd like to shake their hands and buy them a nice cold pint!

Did the suspect threaten anyone with deadly force? No.

The suspect may have been very stupid, but nothing he did justified
being shot and killed. The shooting was unjustified.

Doubtless if he'd got away and blown up some other people you would have
been happy with that?