Old July 22nd 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Default What happens when the state has a monopoly on deadly force

Deuteros wrote:
Brummie_In_London wrote in
:

Deuteros assembled the following words in the hope they'd form a
sentence:

The suspect may have been very stupid, but nothing he did
justified being shot and killed. The shooting was unjustified.

Are you really that dense? Does light bend around you? He ran
away from armed officers conducting a search, does that strike you
as suspicious? He refused to stop when challenged by officers he
knew to be armed despite the open threat of force that would be
used against him, does that strike anybody else reading this
(except Deuteros) as bizarre behaviour for an innocent man?

I didn't say he was innocent. I said that deadly force wasn't
justified.

From the BBC website: "BBC crime correspondent Neil Bennett said the
suspect was being followed as a result of CCTV footage seen by officers
investigating Thursday's explosions. ... Another passenger on the train
[said] "I've seen these police officers shouting, 'Get down, get down!',
and I've seen this guy who appears to have a bomb belt and wires coming
out."

So how would you prevent a suicide bomber from detonating his bomb
without using deadly force?
--
Richard J.