London Banter

-   -   Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3320-waterloo-city-post-office-station.html)

Roland Perry July 23rd 05 07:17 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

The map at the top of the page shows two other much discussed topics.

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Mizter T July 23rd 05 01:33 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

The map at the top of the page shows two other much discussed topics.

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:02 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , Roland
Perry wrote:

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Post Office station was part of/adjacent to the Central Telegraph Office
on the NE corner of Newgate Street and King Edward Street. Before the
bomb-damaged building was demolished, the station entrance could still be
seen. The "Post Office" in question was King Edward Building which
contains/was on the site of the National Postal Museum. The station
entrance was moved from the western to the eastern end of the platforms
and escalators installed in place of lifts. St Pauls is like Chancery
Lane, with one line on top of the other to fit within the public highway
above.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Roland Perry July 23rd 05 02:03 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message .com, at
06:33:18 on Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Mizter T remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

The map at the top of the page shows two other much discussed topics.

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

I don't know its name, but it would seem to be the third side of the
triangle there.

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:11 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article .com, Mizter
T wrote:

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

The access to Smithfield GW goods station, Whitecross Street Midland goods
station and the Widened Lines to Moorgate. What you refer to as Hol(d)born
Viaduct Low Level is actually Snow Hill station, which is on the Thameslink
route (though not in use - there are office block piles through the
platforms).

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Roland Perry July 23rd 05 02:18 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 14:02:51 on Sat, 23
Jul 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Post Office station was part of/adjacent to the Central Telegraph Office
on the NE corner of Newgate Street and King Edward Street.

The map shows the station on the NW corner.

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

Mizter T July 23rd 05 02:23 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

When I say Holdborn I of course mean Holborn!

What is left of this line, if anything?

And where was Snow Hill station - was it located under Holborn Viaduct
station?

(And yes, I do realise how stupid Holborn Viaduct Low-level station
sounds! I have heard of Snow Hill station, just couldn't quite remember
it's name at the time of writing.)

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:23 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , Roland Perry
wrote:
In message .com, at
06:33:18 on Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Mizter T remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

I don't know its name, but it would seem to be the third side of the
triangle there.

The diagram (dated 1903) in Ian Allan "Pre-Grouping Junction Diagrams" (ISBN
0 7110 1256 3) doesn't give names to the triangle or its junctions. The only
named junction is West Street Junction, the end-on junction between the SE&C
and Metropolitan 10 chains south of Farringdon station on the west to south
side of the triangle.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:28 PM

wrote:
In message , at 14:02:51 on Sat, 23
Jul 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Post Office station was part of/adjacent to the Central Telegraph Office
on the NE corner of Newgate Street and King Edward Street.

The map shows the station on the NW corner.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I can still see the overgrown ruins boarded up
and covered in greenery, from the days when 2-12 Gresham Street and Armour
House were the hub of PO telephony, long before BT Centre was built.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:44 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article .com,
Mizter T wrote:
When I say Holdborn I of course mean Holborn!

What is left of this line, if anything?

Not a lot, probably.

And where was Snow Hill station - was it located under Holborn Viaduct
station?

No, North of Holborn Viaduct (the road) but before the east-facing
junction to Smithfield market. The incline ran on the west side of
Holborn Viaduct station and was used by Thameslink trains before the
low-level line and City Thameslink station were built. There is a road
called Snow Hill. The station was underneath the 1960s office buildings
south of the junction of Snow Hill and Farringdon Street (up to the early
90's used by BT but probably gone now).