London Banter

-   -   Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3320-waterloo-city-post-office-station.html)

Roland Perry July 23rd 05 07:17 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

The map at the top of the page shows two other much discussed topics.

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Mizter T July 23rd 05 01:33 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

The map at the top of the page shows two other much discussed topics.

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:02 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , Roland
Perry wrote:

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Post Office station was part of/adjacent to the Central Telegraph Office
on the NE corner of Newgate Street and King Edward Street. Before the
bomb-damaged building was demolished, the station entrance could still be
seen. The "Post Office" in question was King Edward Building which
contains/was on the site of the National Postal Museum. The station
entrance was moved from the western to the eastern end of the platforms
and escalators installed in place of lifts. St Pauls is like Chancery
Lane, with one line on top of the other to fit within the public highway
above.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Roland Perry July 23rd 05 02:03 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message .com, at
06:33:18 on Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Mizter T remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

The map at the top of the page shows two other much discussed topics.

At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

I don't know its name, but it would seem to be the third side of the
triangle there.

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:11 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article .com, Mizter
T wrote:

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

The access to Smithfield GW goods station, Whitecross Street Midland goods
station and the Widened Lines to Moorgate. What you refer to as Hol(d)born
Viaduct Low Level is actually Snow Hill station, which is on the Thameslink
route (though not in use - there are office block piles through the
platforms).

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Roland Perry July 23rd 05 02:18 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 14:02:51 on Sat, 23
Jul 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Post Office station was part of/adjacent to the Central Telegraph Office
on the NE corner of Newgate Street and King Edward Street.

The map shows the station on the NW corner.

http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/HolbornViaduct.html

Mizter T July 23rd 05 02:23 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

When I say Holdborn I of course mean Holborn!

What is left of this line, if anything?

And where was Snow Hill station - was it located under Holborn Viaduct
station?

(And yes, I do realise how stupid Holborn Viaduct Low-level station
sounds! I have heard of Snow Hill station, just couldn't quite remember
it's name at the time of writing.)

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:23 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , Roland Perry
wrote:
In message .com, at
06:33:18 on Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Mizter T remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:28:19 on Fri,
22 Jul 2005, Theo Markettos
remarked:

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

I don't know its name, but it would seem to be the third side of the
triangle there.

The diagram (dated 1903) in Ian Allan "Pre-Grouping Junction Diagrams" (ISBN
0 7110 1256 3) doesn't give names to the triangle or its junctions. The only
named junction is West Street Junction, the end-on junction between the SE&C
and Metropolitan 10 chains south of Farringdon station on the west to south
side of the triangle.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:28 PM

wrote:
In message , at 14:02:51 on Sat, 23
Jul 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
At the bottom of the map, the route of the Waterloo and City line, and
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Post Office station was part of/adjacent to the Central Telegraph Office
on the NE corner of Newgate Street and King Edward Street.

The map shows the station on the NW corner.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I can still see the overgrown ruins boarded up
and covered in greenery, from the days when 2-12 Gresham Street and Armour
House were the hub of PO telephony, long before BT Centre was built.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 02:44 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article .com,
Mizter T wrote:
When I say Holdborn I of course mean Holborn!

What is left of this line, if anything?

Not a lot, probably.

And where was Snow Hill station - was it located under Holborn Viaduct
station?

No, North of Holborn Viaduct (the road) but before the east-facing
junction to Smithfield market. The incline ran on the west side of
Holborn Viaduct station and was used by Thameslink trains before the
low-level line and City Thameslink station were built. There is a road
called Snow Hill. The station was underneath the 1960s office buildings
south of the junction of Snow Hill and Farringdon Street (up to the early
90's used by BT but probably gone now).

Peter Masson July 23rd 05 02:52 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

"Mizter T" wrote

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

This spur was opened in 1871, and the LCDR agreed with the Metropolitan to
run at least 80 trains a day over it into Moorgate Street. These trains
usually ran empty, as the main business district was south of Moorgate
Street, and passengers found it quicker to leave the train at Ludgate Hill
(or Snow Hill) and walk to their offices. These trains were withdrawn from 3
April 1916, after which the spur was abandoned.

Peter

Peter Masson July 23rd 05 02:52 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

"Mizter T" wrote

And where was Snow Hill station - was it located under Holborn Viaduct
station?

Yes - opened 1 August 1874, renamed Holborn Viaduct (Low Level) 1 May 1912,
closed 1 June 1916. Apparently until around 1960 it was possible to push on
a unlocked door on the concourse of Holborn Viaduct, descend some dark
steps, and end up on the disused platfroms of teh Low Level station. There
was also an entrance from the north side of Holborn Viaduct (street0.

Peter

Mizter T July 23rd 05 02:58 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article .com,
Mizter T wrote:
When I say Holdborn I of course mean Holborn!

What is left of this line, if anything?

Not a lot, probably.

Next time I'm going through the Snow Hill tunnels I'll have a peek,
though I probably won't see anything. As it was all underground I doubt
exploring the surface by foot will bear any fruits.

I'm especially intrigued by the Smithfield GW goods station, which I
presume was under the meat market itself. I've also heard of a rowdy
boozer located in the bowels of the market, patronised by the market
workers, which if it's still open I might try and explore when I'm
feeling brave!

And where was Snow Hill station - was it located under Holborn Viaduct
station?

No, North of Holborn Viaduct (the road) but before the east-facing
junction to Smithfield market. The incline ran on the west side of
Holborn Viaduct station and was used by Thameslink trains before the
low-level line and City Thameslink station were built. There is a road
called Snow Hill. The station was underneath the 1960s office buildings
south of the junction of Snow Hill and Farringdon Street (up to the early
90's used by BT but probably gone now).

Ah, now I see it! Snow Hill station is marked on the old map.

Mizter T July 23rd 05 06:05 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

Peter Masson wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote

And where was Snow Hill station - was it located under Holborn Viaduct
station?

Yes - opened 1 August 1874, renamed Holborn Viaduct (Low Level) 1 May 1912,
closed 1 June 1916. Apparently until around 1960 it was possible to push on
a unlocked door on the concourse of Holborn Viaduct, descend some dark
steps, and end up on the disused platfroms of teh Low Level station. There
was also an entrance from the north side of Holborn Viaduct (street0.

Peter

Thanks to both Peter and Jock for your replies.

The seemingly contradictory answers from Peter and from Jock can, I
think, easily be reconciled. The bulk of the Snow Hill station may have
been to the north of Holborn Viaduct (the road) and/or the main surface
level entrance was located there, but there was access from Holborn
Viaduct (high level) station. Or perhaps that access (i.e. the stairway
you speak of) was added later, maybe when Snow Hill was renamed Holborn
Viaduct Low-level.

I though I had read of the existance of a Holborn Viaduct Low-level
station but couldn't remember. The very name sounds slightly ridiculous
- a station name that contains both the phrase *low-level* + *viaduct*
- but then one must remember that the viaduct in question is of course
Holborn Viaduct (the road), not the railway viaduct.

Mizter T July 23rd 05 06:14 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

Peter Masson wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

This spur was opened in 1871, and the LCDR agreed with the Metropolitan to
run at least 80 trains a day over it into Moorgate Street. These trains
usually ran empty, as the main business district was south of Moorgate
Street, and passengers found it quicker to leave the train at Ludgate Hill
(or Snow Hill) and walk to their offices. These trains were withdrawn from 3
April 1916, after which the spur was abandoned.

Peter

Fascinating, thanks for the details. I haven't heard of this spur
mentioned anywhere else, it seems it's largely been forgotten about.

Peter Lawrence July 23rd 05 07:22 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

On 23 Jul 2005 07:58:26 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article .com,
Mizter T wrote:

What is left of this line, if anything?

Not a lot, probably.

Next time I'm going through the Snow Hill tunnels I'll have a peek,
though I probably won't see anything.

There are some remains of the platforms planted with pillars
supporting the oiffices above.

As it was all underground I doubt
exploring the surface by foot will.....

Correct!

I'm especially intrigued by the Smithfield GW goods station, which I
presume was under the meat market itself.

It is now an underground car park; its approach ramp from West
Smithfield is that built for the goods station.

I've also heard of a rowdy
boozer located in the bowels of the market, patronised by the market
workers, which if it's still open I might try and explore when I'm
feeling brave!

Dunno about that - I have never dared to explore the car park or had
need to use it.

--
Peter Lawrence

MIG July 23rd 05 09:00 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

Mizter T wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote

[...]

Was any of it really underground, as opposed to under/between
buildings, or between buildings and the Fleet river cutting?

Going from Blackfriars to City Thameslink now, it doesn't seem to me
that the trackbed goes as far down as the adjacent Farringdon Road,
although it's difficult do judge. That is, is the "underground"
station actually higher than ground level, depending on which road you
take the ground to be level with?

Jock Mackirdy July 23rd 05 09:49 PM

In article . com, Mig wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

Was any of it really underground, as opposed to under/between
buildings, or between buildings and the Fleet river cutting?

It all depends what you mean by underground and what you take as the original
ground level. Going from Farringdon southwards you are clearly at or just below
basement level, but then so is much of the cut and cover Underground network. It
was Cardinal House whose supporting piers pierced the Snow Hill platforms. The
line then rose steeply to join the high level Holborn Viaduct route and cross
Ludgate Hill on the bridge which was subsequently removed. When BR ran a DC test
train from the Blackfriars direction into Farringdon, about 9 months before the
launch of Thameslink, I was able to catch glimpses of it between the buildings.

Going from Blackfriars to City Thameslink now, it doesn't seem to me
that the trackbed goes as far down as the adjacent Farringdon Road,
although it's difficult do judge. That is, is the "underground"
station actually higher than ground level, depending on which road you
take the ground to be level with?

Bearing in mind that the lid of the City Thameslink tunnel has buildings sitting
on it (and ISTR seeing the lid was below the level of Farringdon Road), I think
the line is virtually level from Farringdon to the start of the "new" incline and
the relocated bridge over Queen Victoria Street. Modern street levels are no real
guide, since Farringdon Road sits on top of the Fleet River and the area around
Smithfield Market has been heavily modified over time.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Roland Perry July 24th 05 08:25 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 21:49:40 on Sat, 23
Jul 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
Bearing in mind that the lid of the City Thameslink tunnel has buildings sitting
on it (and ISTR seeing the lid was below the level of Farringdon Road), I think
the line is virtually level from Farringdon to the start of the "new" incline and
the relocated bridge over Queen Victoria Street.

Isn't there a slight incline northbound out of City Thameslink?

Modern street levels are no real guide, since Farringdon Road sits on
top of the Fleet River and the area around Smithfield Market has been
heavily modified over time.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if Fleet St has changed level much,
and that continues across Ludgate Circus to Ludgate Hill. Today the line
goes under Ludgate Hill (City Thameslink Station is underneath and
accessed by escalators). Previously, the line went over Ludgate Hill, of
course.

Greg Hennessy July 24th 05 02:25 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

On 23 Jul 2005 07:58:26 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

I'm especially intrigued by the Smithfield GW goods station, which I
presume was under the meat market itself. I've also heard of a rowdy
boozer located in the bowels of the market, patronised by the market
workers, which if it's still open I might try and explore when I'm
feeling brave!

Doesnt do a great breakfast, the one at the Fox and Anchor is better.

greg
--
"Access to a waiting list is not access to health care"

Derek ^ July 24th 05 03:43 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:22:06 GMT, "Peter Lawrence"
wrote:

I'm especially intrigued by the Smithfield GW goods station, which I
presume was under the meat market itself.

It is now an underground car park; its approach ramp from West
Smithfield is that built for the goods station.

I've also heard of a rowdy
boozer located in the bowels of the market, patronised by the market
workers, which if it's still open I might try and explore when I'm
feeling brave!

Dunno about that - I have never dared to explore the car park or had
need to use it.

It's a fairly innocuous well lit place usually attended by one guy in
the kiosk. I've never been challenged even going backwards and
forwards to the car repeatedly whilst servicing in nearby St. Bart's
Hospital.

There's a pedestrian entrance in the wall a few paces down the ramp
which opens onto a footbridge which nowadays only spans a couple of
rows of parked cars. AFAICS that's all that remains of it's railway
origins, save that trains can still be heard through the walls.

DG

Clive D. W. Feather July 25th 05 07:45 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , Roland
Perry writes
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the north
of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island next to
the entrance to the BT HQ.

Isn't it now the "Dental Centre" just beside the church?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Clive D. W. Feather July 25th 05 07:48 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , Jock Mackirdy
writes
I think
the line is virtually level from Farringdon to the start of the "new"
incline and
the relocated bridge over Queen Victoria Street.

It's always felt distinctly downhill from the Snow Hill sidings to the
south end of City Thameslink station.

However, we've got drivers on that route reading this group; perhaps
they can comment.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Roland Perry July 25th 05 08:38 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 08:45:39 on Mon, 25
Jul 2005, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the
north of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island
next to the entrance to the BT HQ.

Isn't it now the "Dental Centre" just beside the church?

I'm going by aerial photos that show a much enlarged road junction, with
a large triangular traffic island to the west. (View from north).

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/postoffice.jpg

If the old map is accurate, and the station building was next to the
original alignment of Newgate Street, then the station would surely be
under the traffic island, or the road between the island and the church.

John Shelley July 25th 05 12:02 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:45:39 on Mon,
25 Jul 2005, Clive D. W. Feather
remarked:
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's
station was originally named. The station building itself is shown
to the north of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a
traffic island next to the entrance to the BT HQ.

Isn't it now the "Dental Centre" just beside the church?

I'm going by aerial photos that show a much enlarged road junction,
with a large triangular traffic island to the west. (View from north).

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/postoffice.jpg

If the old map is accurate, and the station building was next to the
original alignment of Newgate Street, then the station would surely be
under the traffic island, or the road between the island and the
church.

In London's Secret Tubes, Andrew Emmerson & Tony Beard published by Capital
Transport Publishing Post Office Station is referred to on page 104 in
reference to the late 30's rebuilding.

start quote
Two years later a new entrance was created.........
The old booking hall and lifts at a point several hundered yards west on the
corner of Newgate St and King Edward St were closed.....
end quote
There are a couple of pictures of the bomb damaged station building and a
reference to Oct 1999 London Railway Record (No.21) which confirms the
location as at the junction and has a few pictures of the building.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply

Jock Mackirdy July 25th 05 07:50 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , John Shelley wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:45:39 on Mon,
25 Jul 2005, Clive D. W. Feather
remarked:
[...]

"Rails Through the Clay" mentions the deep shelters, for which the old station
entrance may have provided access, but says the one at St Pauls was abandoned
part-built because of fears for the foundations of the cathedral. The deep
shelter at Chancery Lane was built. It became the GPO's Kingsway Trunk
Exchange, using the original station entrance.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Nick Pedley July 26th 05 04:29 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

"Jock Mackirdy" wrote in message
In article .com, Mizter
T wrote:

Most interesting. But what is the line in a tunnel that appears to lead
from Holdborn Viaduct Low-level station under Smithfields meat market
to Aldersgate (now Barbican) station?

The access to Smithfield GW goods station, Whitecross Street Midland goods
station and the Widened Lines to Moorgate.

If you can lay hands on a copy of 'Lost Lines around London 4' made by
Online Video, it includes interesting footage of the Smithfield Market in
use and the way it looked in 1997.
http://www.transportdiversions.com/p...asp?pubid=5152

HTH,
Nick

Ian Jelf July 27th 05 02:20 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Roland
Perry writes
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the
north of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island
next to the entrance to the BT HQ.

Isn't it now the "Dental Centre" just beside the church?

Yes (although other things occupy it as well).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

terzal July 27th 05 03:42 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

"It's always felt distinctly downhill from the Snow Hill sidings to the

south end of City Thameslink station.

However, we've got drivers on that route reading this group; perhaps
they can comment."

The overall gradient from Farringdon to the bottom of the bank to
Blackfriars is probably about level, but with some lumps and bumps...

From Farringdon, there's a bit of a dip and then a hump around the exit

from Smithfield Sidings. This falls down, as you can feel, into the
start of City Thameslink platform.

There is then a more gradual hump through the length of the station,
dipping down again just at the bottom of the bank before rising
sharply. This is from memory, I think its about right!

Clive D. W. Feather August 4th 05 05:42 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In article , Roland
Perry writes
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the
north of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island
next to the entrance to the BT HQ.

Isn't it now the "Dental Centre" just beside the church?

If the old map is accurate, and the station building was next to the
original alignment of Newgate Street, then the station would surely be
under the traffic island, or the road between the island and the church.

Annoyingly, I'm not going to be visiting that BT office for a few weeks,
but I'll keep my eyes open when I do.

In the meanwhile, let me point at
http://www.davros.org/rail/lobo/cards/postoffice.html

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Roland Perry August 4th 05 07:59 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 06:42:03 on Thu, 4
Aug 2005, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
In the meanwhile, let me point at
http://www.davros.org/rail/lobo/cards/postoffice.html

That's the old Post Office, not the station though.

David Splett August 4th 05 01:43 PM

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
Annoyingly, I'm not going to be visiting that BT office for a few weeks,
but I'll keep my eyes open when I do.

The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

Roland Perry August 4th 05 02:20 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 14:43:24 on Thu, 4 Aug
2005, David Splett remarked:
The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

It's the old station building that we've been concentrating on. Is that
still in existence, and if so, what does it look like now?

Steve Cooper August 4th 05 04:49 PM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

Are you talking about Snow Hill Tunnel!! There was a St Pauls stop in it
before they built City Thameslink!!

Steve Cooper

Peter Masson August 4th 05 04:58 PM

"Steve Cooper" wrote in message
Are you talking about Snow Hill Tunnel!! There was a St Pauls stop in it
before they built City Thameslink!!

The discussion has been about St Pauls station on LUL Central Line, which
used to have a different surface building and the name Post Office. The
original station on the Snow Hill tunnel was originally named Snow Hill, and
was later renamed Holborn Viaduct Low Level.
The LCDR St Pauls station was renamed Blackfriars many years ago.

Peter

MIG August 5th 05 08:45 AM

Peter Masson wrote:
"Steve Cooper" wrote in message
Are you talking about Snow Hill Tunnel!! There was a St Pauls stop in it
before they built City Thameslink!!

The discussion has been about St Pauls station on LUL Central Line, which
used to have a different surface building and the name Post Office. The
original station on the Snow Hill tunnel was originally named Snow Hill, and
was later renamed Holborn Viaduct Low Level.
The LCDR St Pauls station was renamed Blackfriars many years ago.

Peter

City Thameslink was called St Pauls Thameslink at first, wasn't it?

Peter Masson August 5th 05 09:17 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

"MIG" wrote

City Thameslink was called St Pauls Thameslink at first, wasn't it?

It was, but not for very long. It must have opened around 1990-91 (someone
will know the exact date), but was certainly City Thameslink by 1993.

Peter

Jock Mackirdy August 6th 05 09:27 AM

wrote:
In message , at 14:43:24 on Thu, 4 Aug
2005, David Splett remarked:
The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

It's the old station building that we've been concentrating on. Is that
still in existence, and if so, what does it look like now?

The station building was in a corner of the GPO's Central Telegraph Office,
which was bomb-damaged in WWII and semi-derelict when I last saw it in the
late 1960s. The vent shafts were obviously a later replacement when the
building was demolished and the road layout changed.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Roland Perry August 6th 05 10:15 AM

Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 09:27:32 on Sat, 6
Aug 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

It's the old station building that we've been concentrating on. Is that
still in existence, and if so, what does it look like now?

The station building was in a corner of the GPO's Central Telegraph Office,
which was bomb-damaged in WWII and semi-derelict when I last saw it in the
late 1960s. The vent shafts were obviously a later replacement when the
building was demolished and the road layout changed.

Thanks. Clive thinks the building is still there, next to the church. I
suspect I may divert and have a look for myself next time I'm in town.

(One of the reasons it's interesting, apart from the tube, is that
distances "from London" were measured from here - rather than Charing
Cross as many people think. And it's almost - but not quite, according
to my current map - the southern end of the A1.)

Dave Liney August 7th 05 07:09 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:27:32 on Sat, 6
Aug 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
The station building was in a corner of the GPO's Central Telegraph Office,
which was bomb-damaged in WWII and semi-derelict when I last saw it in the
late 1960s. The vent shafts were obviously a later replacement when the
building was demolished and the road layout changed.

Thanks. Clive thinks the building is still there, next to the church. I
suspect I may divert and have a look for myself next time I'm in town.

(One of the reasons it's interesting, apart from the tube, is that
distances "from London" were measured from here - rather than Charing
Cross as many people think.

I think you are mistaken:

http://rodcorp.typepad.com/photos/va...on_mileage.jpg

Dave