Old July 23rd 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Default Groan - Why are rucksacks so darned popular?

Travelled on the Piccadilly line for a few of stops this morning.

It seemed as if virtually every man and his dog (and cat for good measure)
waiting on the platform was toting a rucksack!

Just as well I'm not of a faint heart or prone to paranoia otherwise I'd be
digging a foxhole in my back yard!

Encouragingly though the volume of passengers on my Piccadilly line tube
into Central London from Heathrow looked at normal Saturday levels. I
remember that shortly after 9/11 the Piccadilly line tubes into Central
London looked like ghost trains.

--
Peter X-Files Fan
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

Old July 23rd 05, 11:46 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london
h h is offline

"Trust No OneŽ" wrote in message
Encouragingly though the volume of passengers on my Piccadilly line tube
into Central London from Heathrow looked at normal Saturday levels. I
remember that shortly after 9/11 the Piccadilly line tubes into Central
London looked like ghost trains.

Oh! goody, the Islamists will be happy to know that:-(

Old July 23rd 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

"Trust No OneŽ" wrote in message
Travelled on the Piccadilly line for a few of stops this morning.

It seemed as if virtually every man and his dog (and cat for good measure)
waiting on the platform was toting a rucksack!

Just as well I'm not of a faint heart or prone to paranoia otherwise I'd

be
digging a foxhole in my back yard!

Encouragingly though the volume of passengers on my Piccadilly line tube
into Central London from Heathrow looked at normal Saturday levels. I
remember that shortly after 9/11 the Piccadilly line tubes into Central
London looked like ghost trains.

I think it's something to do with (bear with me on this) *putting* things
inside them. I haven't really investigated it very much, but as I understand
it, if you wear a 'ruck sack' you can carry lots of things in them. I'm
still at the stage of carrying individual items in my hands, and really, it
is a bit of a pain, particularly when one of them has to be a tube ticket...

Nick

Old July 23rd 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:43:27 +0100, "Trust No OneŽ"
wrote:

Travelled on the Piccadilly line for a few of stops this morning.

It seemed as if virtually every man and his dog (and cat for good measure)
waiting on the platform was toting a rucksack!

They leave your arms free.
Old July 23rd 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:48:58 GMT, Maria

typed:

wrote:

Travelled on the Piccadilly line for a few of stops this morning.

It seemed as if virtually every man and his dog (and cat for good measure)
waiting on the platform was toting a rucksack!

They leave your arms free.

it is illegal to have arms in the uk...

regards.

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news and comment service, logic,
energy, education, politics, etc 1,473,067 document calls in year past

Old July 23rd 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Nick Drew wrote:

I think it's something to do with (bear with me on this) *putting*
things inside them. I haven't really investigated it very much, but
as I understand it, if you wear a 'ruck sack' you can carry lots of
things in them. I'm still at the stage of carrying individual items
in my hands, and really, it is a bit of a pain, particularly when one
of them has to be a tube ticket...

Oh I appreciate fully well the practicality and ubiquity of rucksacks.
Indeed the first store I went into after exiting the tube was doing a
prominent special on rucksacks! LOL!

BTW I'm not calling for a ban on rucksacks - don't get me wrong. On Friday,
one of the presenters on Talksport Radio was suggesting that rucksacks be
banned on the Underground! I don't think he fully appreciated the
practicalities (and futility) of introducing or enforcing such a ban. Won't
terrorists simply switch to suitcases or carry-on bags?

My point (in a tongue in cheek way) was that one would quickly become a
paranoid wreck if one fell into the trap of stereotyping every person (or
more to the point -every "Islamic looking" person) toting a rucksack as a
potential suicide bomber.

I'm yet to experience the joys of a rucksack. I've always tended to use a
carrybag for small stuff or a small carry-on bag for larger items

Old July 23rd 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:41:13 +0100, "Trust No OneŽ"
wrote:

Nick Drew wrote:

[...]

Or bomb belts. At least you can see a rucksack!

Old July 23rd 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Trust No OneŽ wrote:

m has to be a tube ticket...

Oh I appreciate fully well the practicality and ubiquity of rucksacks.
Indeed the first store I went into after exiting the tube was doing a
prominent special on rucksacks! LOL!

Eh?

BTW I'm not calling for a ban on rucksacks - don't get me wrong. On Friday,
one of the presenters on Talksport Radio was suggesting that rucksacks be
banned on the Underground! I don't think he fully appreciated the
practicalities (and futility) of introducing or enforcing such a ban. Won't
terrorists simply switch to suitcases or carry-on bags?

I think rucksacks should be banned in restaurants and cinemas.

My point (in a tongue in cheek way) was that one would quickly become a
paranoid wreck if one fell into the trap of stereotyping every person (or
more to the point -every "Islamic looking" person) toting a rucksack as a
potential suicide bomber.

Only if they look Asian.
I'm yet to experience the joys of a rucksack. I've always tended to use a
carrybag for small stuff or a small carry-on bag for larger items

Try a wheely-bin. They're very useful for carrying 'stuff' around.

Old July 23rd 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Trust No OneŽ wrote:
Travelled on the Piccadilly line for a few of stops this morning.

It seemed as if virtually every man and his dog (and cat for good measure)
waiting on the platform was toting a rucksack!

Just as well I'm not of a faint heart or prone to paranoia otherwise I'd be
digging a foxhole in my back yard!

Encouragingly though the volume of passengers on my Piccadilly line tube
into Central London from Heathrow looked at normal Saturday levels. I
remember that shortly after 9/11 the Piccadilly line tubes into Central
London looked like ghost trains.

Possibly to do with the fact that the USA cancelled all international
flights, many of which fly into and out of Heathrow, for a few days
after 9/11 and that, even when flights resumed, many Americans were
initially rather leery about flying?

Steve