Old July 30th 10, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rucksacks worn on the tube

I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just shoving
past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't there be
some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with these sorts of
idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal even when squashed
on the victoria line?

B2003

Old July 30th 10, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 30 July, 15:44, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:10:03 +0100

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:51:35 on Fri, 30 Jul
2010, remarked:
I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.

I had someone like that bumping me every few minutes on a
full-and-standing Cambridge train one morning. And the wearer almost got
violent when I politely (no, really) asked him to stop it.

Rucksack wearers generally have no concept of their "rear facing"
personal space.

I think with some of them its more a case of their rear personal space is
wherever their rucksack is. I don't have a problem with little rucksacks
but I don't see the need to go on a train wearing something the size of
a suitcase on your back. In fact if someone has that much to carry why don't
they just use a suitcase anyway? Thats what they're for.

B2003

Er, no. Suitcases are for stacking. Rucksacks are for carrying. I
could carry a helluva lot more weight in a rucksack than a suitcase of
equivalent capacity.

Neither are great in crowded trains without a luggage space.
Old July 30th 10, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 30, 9:51*am, wrote:
I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just shoving
past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't there be
some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with these sorts of
idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal even when squashed
on the victoria line?

I had this happen twice recently, and politely spoke to both of the
rucksack wearers. The first was a girl from up north who was very
apologetic, we actually had a little chat and it turns out it was her
first time in London, and was all wide-eyed about it, as well as
being somewhat pensive - amusingly she thought the tube train we were
on was 'very busy' and was a bit disbelieving when I said it wasn't
really (mid-morning/lunchtime Saturday on the Northern line, Jubbly
closed I dare say, a few free seats and a fair few standing but
certainly not packed by any stretch of the imagination).

The second was an Italian girl who when I politely confronted her
shrugged expressively, huffed and then tried to give me the dagger
eyes - so I glared back (it went on for a bit), and then had reason to
laugh out loud when a big Aussie barged past getting on at the next
stop and, on her huffing and turning to look at him, gave her a firm
and no-nonsense verbal admonishment.

In general I'm all for speaking up in situations like this - it might
feel awkward I grant you, but so long as you keep your cool it's the
right way to go.

Old July 30th 10, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:18:30 on
Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Neil Williams
remarked:
I think with some of them its more a case of their rear personal space is
wherever their rucksack is. I don't have a problem with little rucksacks
but I don't see the need to go on a train wearing something the size of
a suitcase on your back.

Not even if you're, for instance, taking the Tube to the station to go
on a hiking expedition?

Rucksacks are fine, but should be removed from the back when inside the
confined spaces of public transport.

In fact if someone has that much to carry why don't
they just use a suitcase anyway? Thats what they're for.

Trolley cases are *far* more annoying, IMO. And not much good for
hiking

Trolley cases can trip up those not paying attention, but at least the
owners don't unpredictably whirl them around, five feet off the ground,
as happens with rucksacks.
Old July 30th 10, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, d wrote:

I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just
shoving past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't
there be some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with
these sorts of idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal
even when squashed on the victoria line?

Yes, there should. Also people who roll their little rolly cases in the
tube passageways, and people who think that just having stepped off a
train is the right time to put their bag down and fiddle with it.

And also people who only start retrieving their ticket when they get to a
gate.

And people who think right in front of an entrance or the foot of an
escalator is the right place to stand in groups of a dozen and discuss
where to go.

And people who walk down the middle of a passageway, occupying the whole
thing, at a speed slower than intended by anyone else. Admittedly this
only applies to wide people and narrow passages, but this is London, and
that is a frequent combination.

Do we in fact need a taxonomy of intolerable underground behaviour?

First person to mention people using escalators while not carrying a dog
gets a kicking.

tom

--
sh(1) was the first MOO