Old July 24th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mile End Passenger Incident

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message:
Take a look at what the RMT's demands
are - they are designed to do one thing and that is increase union
membership and thus his ability to control / stop the railway.
--
Paul C

Nice to see Broadways interpretation of the request for more staff!!! The
volunteers didn't last long.....
I'm no union fan but this talk like this will only end in tears........

As for staff on the platforms, on my line we always place people on the
platform during disruption, they serve 2 purposes, the first is to detrain
quickly and get the next one in so people aren't in the tunnel long, the
second is to provide info. This is common policy on all lines.
Off peak, all platforms are visited on a set pattern by staff.

And yes Paul...we are both on the same side.....

Mal

Old July 24th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:59:18 GMT, "Malcolm Pinnell"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message:
Take a look at what the RMT's demands
are - they are designed to do one thing and that is increase union
membership and thus his ability to control / stop the railway.
--
Paul C

Nice to see Broadways interpretation of the request for more staff!!! The
volunteers didn't last long.....
I'm no union fan but this talk like this will only end in tears........

One comment - *my* interpretation. Nothing whatsoever to do with 55
Broadway or any other location on the railway. I speak for myself not
for anyone else or as any official mouthpiece.
--
Paul C

Old July 24th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:57:23 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

I'm not sure why you are "shocked" about there being no staff on
platforms at off peak times.

Many European underground systems do not have any staff on the
stations full-stop, at any time, certainly at quieter stations. I can
think of a number of stations in Hamburg where this is the case.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old July 25th 05, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Nice to see Broadways interpretation of the request for more staff!!! The
volunteers didn't last long.

What do you mean by that?

Old July 25th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice to see Broadways interpretation of the request for more staff!!!
The
volunteers didn't last long.

What do you mean by that?

The first issue has been dealt with by Pauls response.

Volunteers are just that, people who want to work in addition to normal
work, with no reward except a warm inner glow. That makes them hard to come
by - hence not all places that need 'volunteers' get them. Certainly there
have been huge numbers of staff volunteering and good on them, i admire
them, but i would guess not enough for all the places highlighted.
Some people might think that if it was important to provide people then they
should be paid, this may increase the number of people available to assist
ensuring all places needing extra person power had them. Others may not
think that. I'm not saying what i think........

Mal
(no signature, i can't think of anything funny to say)