Old July 17th 03, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default the quest for safety

"Ian G Batten" wrote in message

public transport should be extended to provide access to as many
people as is economically viable.

So that's a subset, then. And what makes you think it isn't

_already_
extended to as many people as is economically viable?

....or maybe even already extended to more people than is economically
viable?

Old July 17th 03, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ian G Batten" wrote in message
In article ,
David Nixon wrote:
what the average pedestrian will do, WITHIN LIMITS! If you
have genuinely passed an observed run, fair play, but part of
the remit is to spread good driving practice where possible,
not just to lecture people from an absolute position of

That's exactly what Advanced Driving is about. Advanced Drivers

I've
had the misfortune to be a passenger with drive too quickly, shout
``look at that idiot'' at people minding their own business and

argue
that their sooper-sekrit advanced techniques (the straight-ahead

masonic
hand sign, the not using their indicators to prove they're

observing,
the rest of the mumbo jumbo) allow their excess speed and close gap
driving. Car bores are bad enough, advanced driving bores (``My
driving's better than yours'') are amongst the worst.

Richard's claim is he'll never have an accident, but everyone else

is a
danger to themselves and others. He's not alone amongst IAM people

in
this belief.

Interestingly, the most careful and accurate road drivers I know are
those who hold RAC Competition Licenses. I suspect it's a combination
of 'getting it out of your system' on the track and also the
first-hand knowledge of what a 'safe' accident feels like makes them
reluctant to have a 'real' accident on the public road :-)

Old July 17th 03, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Richard" wrote in message
But is he wrong in what he says and if not why do the ******* try

to drag
everyone else down to their level?

Thanks mate, glad someone can look beyond my character, arrogant,

conceited
or otherwise (no-one is ever going to know over a newsgroup, apart

perhaps
from Steve), and consider the argument in question.

Don't involve me... I don't know you (do I?)

__Steve__

Old July 17th 03, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Steve Moore wrote:
Interestingly, the most careful and accurate road drivers I know are
those who hold RAC Competition Licenses. I suspect it's a combination

I've got far more paranoid on the roads since doing the Jonathan Palmer
thing at Bedford. It hammered home to me that, in common with 99.9% of
the population and 99.8% of IAM people, I simply don't have the reflexes
or car control I naively thought I did.

ian

Old July 17th 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

But is he wrong in what he says and if not why do the ******* try
to drag
everyone else down to their level?

Thanks mate, glad someone can look beyond my character, arrogant,

conceited
or otherwise (no-one is ever going to know over a newsgroup, apart

perhaps
from Steve), and consider the argument in question.

Don't involve me... I don't know you (do I?)

__Steve__

Not you, the other Steve ;o)

Old July 17th 03, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Bagpuss wrote:

So you have never *ever* drifted even .001 mph over the posted limit?

Why do you find it so hard to believe that someone could spend their
driving career remaining within the law? Were I to state, "I've never
burgled anyone's house", would you counter with, "So you have never
*ever* just nipped in through an open door and alf inched someone's
ceramic ashtray?" I see little difference.

Cheers

mark-r

--
For all things inspection: http://www.infact-holdings.com/
For all things needleworky: http://www.tandem-cottage.co.uk/
Old July 17th 03, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

So you have never *ever* drifted even .001 mph over the posted limit?

Why do you find it so hard to believe that someone could spend their
driving career remaining within the law? Were I to state, "I've never
burgled anyone's house", would you counter with, "So you have never
*ever* just nipped in through an open door and alf inched someone's
ceramic ashtray?" I see little difference.

And if he had once popped 0.001 mph over the speed limit would that devalue
his point about keeping to speed limits?

Seems a bit of an easy way out, saying 'everyone does it', as if that makes
it OK.

Lots of people assaulted each other in previous centuries, did the fact that
lots of people did it make it socially desirable?

Old July 17th 03, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:27:13 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

So you have never *ever* drifted even .001 mph over the posted limit?

Why do you find it so hard to believe that someone could spend their
driving career remaining within the law? Were I to state, "I've never
burgled anyone's house", would you counter with, "So you have never
*ever* just nipped in through an open door and alf inched someone's
ceramic ashtray?" I see little difference.

And if he had once popped 0.001 mph over the speed limit would that devalue
his point about keeping to speed limits?

Erm yes as its over the speed limit.

Seems a bit of an easy way out, saying 'everyone does it', as if that makes
it OK.

Lots of people assaulted each other in previous centuries, did the fact that
lots of people did it make it socially desirable?

They point is someone who it being all smug "I never speed" then drift
over the limit on occasions. You can't have both.

I try to stick to the limits and the maximum and choose an appropriate
speed, but know that I have drifted on occasion over the limit. I used
to do things like 80 in empty 70 areas on occasions, but it didn't do
anything for me. I've got nothing to proove so don't bother, keeping
my m/cycle licence is more important to me. I'm not perfect by I try
as best as possible to stick at or below the limit.

I just guess Guy is Mr Perfect then.

--
This post does not reflect the opinions of all saggy cloth
cats be they a bit loose at the seams or not
Old July 17th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:18:19 +0100, Bagpuss
wrote:

So you're the one driver who never speeds.

No, I'm the /one/ driver who never speeds, he's the /other/ one.

So you have never *ever* drifted even .001 mph over the posted limit?

Many times. In the past I've deliberately driven at speeds up to an
indicated 140mph, but these days I make a habit of keeping within the
posted limit.

Guy
===
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk: Respectable rules for responsible people
Old July 17th 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Ian G Batten
writes
In article ,
Richard wrote:
Is anyone here arguing we should require people to work close to where they
live?

Yes. If people live closer to their work and their children's schools,
many otherwise required journeys evaporate. Having a car allows you to
avoid some parts of that at the expense of making a lot of journeys.

There's nothing like working at home to get the mileage down!

snip

--
Five Cats