London Banter

-   -   Surrey Canal Road ELLX station idea (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3463-surrey-canal-road-ellx-station.html)

Tom Anderson September 17th 05 12:41 PM

Surrey Canal Road ELLX station idea

Right,

How about shifting the proposed Surrey Canal Road station north a bit, so
it's roundabout the point where the line goes under the mainline viaduct
from London Bridge, then adding platforms on the mainline (specifically,
the tracks that go to New Cross), then closing the New Cross branch.

Closing the New Cross branch would allow greater frequency and reliability
on the rest of the network, and this station would provide the NR/ELL
interchange it currently does; passengers local to New Cross could just
use New Cross Gate.

Brilliant or what?

There could also be platforms on the New Cross Gate branch and even other
bits of the mainline, if the need for a giant interchange station in the
depths of Rotherhithe was felt.

tom

--
I content myself with the Speculative part [...], I care not for the Practick. I seldom bring any thing to use, 'tis not my way. Knowledge is my ultimate end. -- Sir Nicholas Gimcrack

Alan \(in Brussels\) September 18th 05 05:08 PM

Surrey Canal Road ELLX station idea

In the message .li...
"Tom Anderson" wrote:
Right,

How about shifting the proposed Surrey Canal Road station north a bit, so
it's roundabout the point where the line goes under the mainline viaduct
from London Bridge, then adding platforms on the mainline (specifically,
the tracks that go to New Cross), then closing the New Cross branch.

Closing the New Cross branch would allow greater frequency and reliability
on the rest of the network, and this station would provide the NR/ELL
interchange it currently does; passengers local to New Cross could just
use New Cross Gate.

Brilliant or what?

There could also be platforms on the New Cross Gate branch and even other
bits of the mainline, if the need for a giant interchange station in the
depths of Rotherhithe was felt.

Yes, I suggested this several years ago - and even proposed its name should
be "Deptford Park";-)

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Tom Anderson September 18th 05 10:33 PM

Surrey Canal Road ELLX station idea

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

In the message .li...
"Tom Anderson" wrote:

How about shifting the proposed Surrey Canal Road station north a bit, so
it's roundabout the point where the line goes under the mainline viaduct
from London Bridge, then adding platforms on the mainline (specifically,
the tracks that go to New Cross), then closing the New Cross branch.

Yes, I suggested this several years ago - and even proposed its name
should be "Deptford Park";-)

All my best ideas turn out to have been had by someone else already! So,
what next? Get down to city hall with baseball bats?

tom

--
22% Essential Components, 22% Repetitive Patterns, 56% Pauses