Old September 17th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Surrey Canal Road ELLX station idea

Right,

How about shifting the proposed Surrey Canal Road station north a bit, so
it's roundabout the point where the line goes under the mainline viaduct
from London Bridge, then adding platforms on the mainline (specifically,
the tracks that go to New Cross), then closing the New Cross branch.

Closing the New Cross branch would allow greater frequency and reliability
on the rest of the network, and this station would provide the NR/ELL
interchange it currently does; passengers local to New Cross could just
use New Cross Gate.

Brilliant or what?

There could also be platforms on the New Cross Gate branch and even other
bits of the mainline, if the need for a giant interchange station in the
depths of Rotherhithe was felt.

tom

--
I content myself with the Speculative part [...], I care not for the Practick. I seldom bring any thing to use, 'tis not my way. Knowledge is my ultimate end. -- Sir Nicholas Gimcrack

Old September 18th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In the message .li...
"Tom Anderson" wrote:
Right,

How about shifting the proposed Surrey Canal Road station north a bit, so
it's roundabout the point where the line goes under the mainline viaduct
from London Bridge, then adding platforms on the mainline (specifically,
the tracks that go to New Cross), then closing the New Cross branch.

Closing the New Cross branch would allow greater frequency and reliability
on the rest of the network, and this station would provide the NR/ELL
interchange it currently does; passengers local to New Cross could just
use New Cross Gate.

Brilliant or what?

There could also be platforms on the New Cross Gate branch and even other
bits of the mainline, if the need for a giant interchange station in the
depths of Rotherhithe was felt.

Yes, I suggested this several years ago - and even proposed its name should
be "Deptford Park";-)

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old September 18th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

In the message .li...
"Tom Anderson" wrote:

How about shifting the proposed Surrey Canal Road station north a bit, so
it's roundabout the point where the line goes under the mainline viaduct
from London Bridge, then adding platforms on the mainline (specifically,
the tracks that go to New Cross), then closing the New Cross branch.

Yes, I suggested this several years ago - and even proposed its name
should be "Deptford Park";-)

All my best ideas turn out to have been had by someone else already! So,
what next? Get down to city hall with baseball bats?

tom

--
22% Essential Components, 22% Repetitive Patterns, 56% Pauses

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road) Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 75 January 12th 16 09:07 AM
Regent's Canal Jo H London Transport 3 June 8th 11 05:37 PM
Surrey Quays shoppers encouraged to swap four wheels for two TravelBot London Transport News 0 August 28th 06 08:25 AM
Canal to be used to transport depot deliveries JWBA68 London Transport 2 June 25th 04 12:36 PM
Canal freight for T5? Dave Arquati London Transport 1 July 17th 03 08:06 PM