Old September 24th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus diversion due to closure of Battersea Bridge

There is now a long-term diversion of various London bus routes due to
the closure of Battersea Bridge for the foreseeable future, since it
was rammed last week by the M/V James Prior.

The routes involved include 49 and 239, now using Wandsworth Bridge.
Not only are these buses (and other traffic of course) now clogging up
the already clogged streets of Fulham (especially Wandsworth Bridge
Road), but the glee that the drivers are taking in refusing to pick up
any passengers on the diverted route is obscene. If ever there was
exemplicication of the sadism of certain bus drivers this is it. I hope
that their consciences allow them to rest easy at night.

Marc.

Old September 25th 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Sep 2005 15:48:49 -0700, "
wrote:

There is now a long-term diversion of various London bus routes due to
the closure of Battersea Bridge for the foreseeable future, since it
was rammed last week by the M/V James Prior.

The routes involved include 49 and 239, now using Wandsworth Bridge.
Not only are these buses (and other traffic of course) now clogging up
the already clogged streets of Fulham (especially Wandsworth Bridge
Road), but the glee that the drivers are taking in refusing to pick up
any passengers on the diverted route is obscene. If ever there was
exemplicication of the sadism of certain bus drivers this is it. I hope
that their consciences allow them to rest easy at night.

So how many bus stops on the original routes do the diversions miss?
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old September 25th 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So how many bus stops on the original routes do the diversions miss?
--
Nick Cooper

I really have no idea, but the diversion on the Fulham side of
Battersea Bridge involves a journey of about a mile and a half, and a
similar extra distance on the other side in Wandsworth. The number of
bus stops "passed" but not served is in the region of 10 or 12.

Marc.

Old September 25th 05, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Sep 2005 06:27:40 -0700, "
wrote:

So how many bus stops on the original routes do the diversions miss?

I really have no idea, but the diversion on the Fulham side of
Battersea Bridge involves a journey of about a mile and a half, and a
similar extra distance on the other side in Wandsworth. The number of
bus stops "passed" but not served is in the region of 10 or 12.

The point is, the bus stops it misses are any located on the bridge
and immediately before and after it. If shouldn't stop at stops on the
diversion because it shouldn't be going there!

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 25th 05, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
There is now a long-term diversion of various London bus routes due to
the closure of Battersea Bridge for the foreseeable future, since it
was rammed last week by the M/V James Prior.

The routes involved include 49 and 239, now using Wandsworth Bridge.
Not only are these buses (and other traffic of course) now clogging up
the already clogged streets of Fulham (especially Wandsworth Bridge
Road), but the glee that the drivers are taking in refusing to pick up
any passengers on the diverted route is obscene. If ever there was
exemplicication of the sadism of certain bus drivers this is it. I hope
that their consciences allow them to rest easy at night.

I suspect that if bus drivers are not stopping on the diverted route it is
because they have been told not to rather than to deliberately annoy you.
Indeed it makes sense not to add even more time on to an already extended
journey to pick up people at every stop on the way.

Peter Smyth

Old September 25th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Indeed - the diversion must add about half an hour to the journey in
peak periods. I wonder why they haven't diverted them via Chelsea Bridge
instead - it's much shorter.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old September 26th 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:02:56 +0100, "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

I suspect that if bus drivers are not stopping on the diverted route it is
because they have been told not to rather than to deliberately annoy you.
Indeed it makes sense not to add even more time on to an already extended
journey to pick up people at every stop on the way.

Maybe it would be seen as pirating passengers from another route
allocated to another operator.
Old September 26th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Sep 2005 06:27:40 -0700, "
wrote:

I really have no idea, but the diversion on the Fulham side of
Battersea Bridge involves a journey of about a mile and a half, and a
similar extra distance on the other side in Wandsworth. The number of
bus stops "passed" but not served is in the region of 10 or 12.

So what? If a bus normally goes from point A to point B to point C to
point D, if it takes a different and longer than normal route between
B & C, why should it stop inbetween, even if it does past X, Y or Z on
the process?
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War, and in Films & TV:
http://www.nickcooper.org.uk/