Old August 15th 08, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Bus Stops on Diversion

I seem to remember discussion here establishing that when there is an
emergency diversion, buses don't stop at the stops on the alternative
route (no matter how much you beg to be let out with your heavy
shopping near home rather than be taken to somewhere there's no way
back from), but that they do stop if there's a planned diversion.

This doesn't seem to be the case with buses diverted from Hither Green
Lane (181 and 225, both of which I used recently), which are running
non-stop.

Has anyone got any new insights into why they are running this way?
There are plenty of bus stops on the diversion route.

Old August 16th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 15, 5:12�pm, MIG wrote:
I seem to remember discussion here establishing that when there is an
emergency diversion, buses don't stop at the stops on the alternative
route (no matter how much you beg to be let out with your heavy
shopping near home rather than be taken to somewhere there's no way
back from), but that they do stop if there's a planned diversion.

This doesn't seem to be the case with buses diverted from Hither Green
Lane (181 and 225, both of which I used recently), which are running
non-stop.

Has anyone got any new insights into why they are running this way?
There are plenty of bus stops on the diversion route.

My experience is that bus drivers do whatever they please. There seems
to be no effective leadership/instructions given, whatever the
technical rules may be.

I can GUARANTEE that a pretty blonde, smiling sweetly and being asked
to be let off at a particular stop will succeed (as will one waiting
to be picked up at a stop on a diverted route), but to Hell with the
rest of us!

Marc.
Old August 16th 08, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
I seem to remember discussion here establishing that when there is an
emergency diversion, buses don't stop at the stops on the alternative
route (no matter how much you beg to be let out with your heavy
shopping near home rather than be taken to somewhere there's no way
back from), but that they do stop if there's a planned diversion.

This doesn't seem to be the case with buses diverted from Hither Green
Lane (181 and 225, both of which I used recently), which are running
non-stop.

Ditto in my experience when routes 34, 102, 144 and W6 were diverted
(planned diversion) between the Cambridge Roundabout (where the A10 and
A406 meet) and North Middlesex Hospital to run via Sterling Way instead
of via Silver Street.

Despite the TfL website saying that buses on diversion would stop at
temporary stops near Bull Lane (of which the Eastbound stop is already a
bus stand, complete with flag, and the Westbound has the "Bus Stand"
markings on the carriageway, but no flag), the buses failed to do so,
and stopped instead about half way between North Middlesex Hospital and
Silver Street station.

Net result: Walk home from the bus stop increased from 100 yards or so
(had I been able to get the W6) to the best part of a mile....At midnight.

When I complained to London Buses Customer Services (which is farmed out
to a 3rd Party, as are TfL Streets and the PCO), their response was
basically "you're imagining things", and they completely ignored my
follow-up response.

Cheers,

Barry
Old August 17th 08, 12:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 16, 11:52*pm, Barry Salter wrote:
MIG wrote:
[...]

I have seen people being let off 181s away from bus stops when they'd
been slow to realise what was going on.

But I can't see why they can't be scheduled to stop at bus stops along
the diversion route to give people some alternatives.

(By the way, the 181 was always a candidate for the most zigzaggy
route, but it's a lot zigzaggier now.)