London Banter

-   -   London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3494-london-congestion-charge-spreads-westward.html)

John Rowland September 30th 05 05:16 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4296968.stm

That map looks all wrong, but I don't have time right now to pick the bones
out of it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Ian September 30th 05 06:28 PM

"John Rowland" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4296968.stm

That map looks all wrong, but I don't have time right now to pick the
bones
out of it.

The detailed map is available he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/cc-ex/maps.shtml The charge will end half an hour
earlier at 1800 apparently.

Ian

Paul Weaver October 2nd 05 02:15 AM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

So even more people now can't drive to work in the week, but can't use
the tube at the weekend, requiring both a car and expensive train
tickets.

Chris Tolley October 2nd 05 09:21 AM

Paul Weaver wrote:

So even more people now can't drive to work in the week, but can't use
the tube at the weekend, requiring both a car and expensive train
tickets.

Very few people in that part of London *require* a car. It is a
lifestyle choice, not a necessity for the most part.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632911.html
(Skye seen through mist and low cloud from Kyle of Lochalsh in 1999)

Colum Mylod October 2nd 05 09:15 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:21:56 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:

So even more people now can't drive to work in the week, but can't use
the tube at the weekend, requiring both a car and expensive train
tickets.

Very few people in that part of London *require* a car. It is a
lifestyle choice, not a necessity for the most part.

Quite a few, like me, drive *out* of that tax-grab area against any
congestion in the zone, right into congestion around it - westway
west-bound for example, Scrubs Lane, all those nice roads which would
have more traffic after the area is Kengested and will have even more
when the ShepBush mega shopping-opolis (conveniently avoided by the
expansion) opens next year. See this for what it is: more tax. Some
value is returned in better buses but the whole cost is excessive and
fares are still too high. Cars are still required by families and
odd-hours workers.

The smart way to reduce congestion (not that this expansion has it, 5%
of the area at most has congestion) is to close off zones and reduce
flow. Classic example Hammersmith bridge. Close it and traffic
"evaporates". But hi-tech cameras and 50mi/year "costs" are much more
fun than closures and pinching.

--
New anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com

JNugent October 2nd 05 10:43 PM

"Colum Mylod" wrote in message

The smart way to reduce congestion (not that this expansion has it, 5%
of the area at most has congestion) is to close off zones and reduce
flow. Classic example Hammersmith bridge. Close it and traffic
"evaporates".

Er... not quite.

I remember a miserable afternoon spent trying to get from Barnes to Hanwell.
It should have been a doddle using Hammersmith Bridge, but it was then
closed for repairs (is it still closed, or closed again?). Using Chiswick
Bridge (the westerly nexus of the North and South Circular Roads) was
excruciating because Hammersmith Bridge was closed. The traffic certainly
does not "evaporate", even if the residents of the approach roads (some of
whom seem very self-centred over this issue) think it does. It simply goes
elsewhere (because it has to).

I remember a saying my grandmother frequently used - "full bellies never
think of empty ones".

Richard J. October 2nd 05 11:53 PM

JNugent wrote:
"Colum Mylod" wrote in message

The smart way to reduce congestion (not that this expansion has
it, 5%
of the area at most has congestion) is to close off zones and
reduce flow. Classic example Hammersmith bridge. Close it and
traffic "evaporates".

Er... not quite.

I remember a miserable afternoon spent trying to get from Barnes to
Hanwell. It should have been a doddle using Hammersmith Bridge, but
it was then closed for repairs (is it still closed, or closed
again?).

It's open, and has been IIRC for at least 4 years.

Using Chiswick Bridge (the westerly nexus of the North and
South Circular Roads) ...

Those two roads actually meet at Chiswick Roundabout, and the South
Circular Road crosses the river via Kew Bridge. Chiswick Bridge carries
the A316, the link to the M3.
--
Richard J.

JNugent October 3rd 05 12:25 AM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

"Richard J." wrote...

JNugent wrote:
"Colum Mylod" wrote:

The smart way to reduce congestion (not that this expansion has
it, 5% of the area at most has congestion) is to close off zones
and reduce flow. Classic example Hammersmith bridge. Close
it and traffic "evaporates".

Er... not quite.
I remember a miserable afternoon spent trying to get from Barnes to
Hanwell. It should have been a doddle using Hammersmith Bridge, but
it was then closed for repairs (is it still closed, or closed
again?).

It's open, and has been IIRC for at least 4 years.

Good - though I'm sure I recall a proposal that it should be closed again -
and a campaign by Castelnau residents that it should not be reopened after
those extenive repairs.

Using Chiswick Bridge (the westerly nexus of the North and
South Circular Roads) ...

Those two roads actually meet at Chiswick Roundabout, and the South
Circular Road crosses the river via Kew Bridge. Chiswick Bridge carries
the A316, the link to the M3.

Quite right - it was Kew Bridge I meant.

Paul Weaver October 3rd 05 01:46 AM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

Very few people in that part of London *require* a car. It is a
lifestyle choice, not a necessity for the most part.

Aside from people that work outside the train/tube hours (i.e. start
before 9AM on a sunday). I'm thinking about nurses at Chelsea &
Westminster Hospital for example. Basically unless you work government
hours you're forced to risk a dangerous night bus that takes 3 times
longer than a car, and that assumes there's a direct bus from where you
live to where you work, highly unlikely.

I'm writing this at 02:31 on a Monday morning, from work, just outside
the new extension area. Won't affect me directly as I live west of
London. Many of my collegues will have to take a new route in though,
along more congested roads.

While I'm just outside the zone, If the building was 800 yards East
we'd be in it. It's going to cause enough problems with added traffic
arround the bush at lunchtime (when some of my shifts start - yes, the
shopping centre wont help either). FYI the last tube east from work on
a Sunday is 2327, the last train west 0005. Not much good when you
finish at 0030.

But journeys in the zone will speed up by 5 minutes. Assuming 2
journeys per day, for an £8 cost, the point of the zone is to make
life easier for people on more than £48 an hour. Ken - the rich man's
mayor.

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 10:44 AM

Paul Weaver wrote:
So even more people now can't drive to work in the week, but can't use
the tube at the weekend, requiring both a car and expensive train
tickets.

Very few people in that part of London *require* a car. It is a
lifestyle choice, not a necessity for the most part.

Quite a few, like me, drive ... Cars are still required by families

If true, one wonders how anyone ever managed before. But since people
plainly did manage before, perhaps it isn't a necessity, but a lifestyle
choice.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767296.html
(4TC unit 8001 on the Weymouth Tramway on 31 Dec 1989)

Sam Nelson October 3rd 05 10:49 AM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

Paul Weaver wrote:
So even more people now can't drive to work in the week, but can't use
the tube at the weekend, requiring both a car and expensive train
tickets.

Very few people in that part of London *require* a car. It is a
lifestyle choice, not a necessity for the most part.

Quite a few, like me, drive ... Cars are still required by families

If true, one wonders how anyone ever managed before. But since people
plainly did manage before, perhaps it isn't a necessity, but a lifestyle
choice.

It's a positive feedback loop. People get cars, so they use services further
away, which means services tend to get concentrated around places people can
drive to rather than where they can walk to, so services aren't local any
more, so people get cars. Not a lifestyle choice at all; just reaction to
economic stimuli.
--
SAm.

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 10:57 AM

Paul Weaver wrote:
forced to risk a dangerous night bus

That's nonsense, and you know it. Night buses may be less than ideal,
but they are not per se dangerous. We don't live in a US movie dystopia.

You are starting with the unproven assumption that transport is
necessary at all. People do not generally *have to* live so far from
their place of employment. The main reason that there is transport
congestion is that there are too many people on the move. They may have
all sorts of reasons for choosing to live and work where they do, but in
our society, that's exactly what it is in the vast majority of cases, a
choice. (AIH, in my case, there isn't a choice. my house, is supplied by
my employer, and is next to the building where I do a lot of my work.)
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767304.html
(4TC units 418 and 422 and men with red flags at Weymouth Quay, 1985)

Brimstone October 3rd 05 11:00 AM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
Paul Weaver wrote:
[...]

The first three words of your second sentence destroy your conclusion.

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 11:07 AM

Sam Nelson wrote:
It's a positive feedback loop. People get cars, so they use services further
away, which means services tend to get concentrated around places people can
drive to rather than where they can walk to, so services aren't local any
more, so people get cars. Not a lifestyle choice at all; just reaction to
economic stimuli.

I didn't get a car until I was 40. I managed fine until then. I wouldn't
have a car now if it were not for that fact I had been told that my
employment would require it. Some people are told to get a car for their
job, but the majority of drivers made a choice to get one. You note this
in the first few words of your second sentence, but go on to dispute
that it is a lifestyle choice. I feel I'm on fairly safe ground
asserting that most people who learn to drive make the decision to do so
before they are 20, which is before the things you point to are likely
to matter to most of them at all.

There's joined-up thinking in your response, but not enough to convince.

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 12:10 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:44:09 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Quite a few, like me, drive ... Cars are still required by families

If true, one wonders how anyone ever managed before. But since people
plainly did manage before, perhaps it isn't a necessity, but a lifestyle
choice.

You've sort of got the choice to opt out of the society your kids,
school, outside activities etc. exist in. But only sort of. Like
you sort of have the choice to buy your kids Clarke's sandals instead
of trainers :-)

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 12:12 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:07:50 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

I didn't get a car until I was 40. I managed fine until then. I wouldn't
have a car now if it were not for that fact I had been told that my
employment would require it.

So does it require it, or doesn't it? If you were misinformed,
rejoice and sell it.

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 12:57 PM

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:07:50 GMT, Chris Tolley

I didn't get a car until I was 40. I managed fine until then. I wouldn't
have a car now if it were not for that fact I had been told that my
employment would require it.

So does it require it, or doesn't it?

In general, with a city location, in and of itself, it does not. But I
am working in what most people regard as a rural location, and that tips
the balance the other way.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10934302.html
(the Gornergrat Railway, Switzerland)

Ian October 3rd 05 01:17 PM

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
Paul Weaver wrote:
forced to risk a dangerous night bus

That's nonsense, and you know it. Night buses may be less than ideal,
but they are not per se dangerous. We don't live in a US movie dystopia.

You are starting with the unproven assumption that transport is
necessary at all. People do not generally *have to* live so far from
their place of employment. The main reason that there is transport
congestion is that there are too many people on the move. They may have
all sorts of reasons for choosing to live and work where they do, but in
our society, that's exactly what it is in the vast majority of cases, a
choice. (AIH, in my case, there isn't a choice. my house, is supplied by
my employer, and is next to the building where I do a lot of my work.)

I wonder why so many people are travelling to work at all. I heard on the TV
last week that 1 in 9 people work from home now broadband is widely
available, although many people in non computer jobs have been working from
home for years. Yet the trains are over crowded in the morning going into
London. Traffic congestion seems to get worse everywhere. Where are all of
these people going?

Ian

chris harrison October 3rd 05 02:09 PM

Colum Mylod wrote:
The smart way to reduce congestion (not that this expansion has it, 5%
of the area at most has congestion) is to close off zones and reduce
flow. Classic example Hammersmith bridge. Close it and traffic
"evaporates".

Traffic might have evaporated from Castlenau/Lonsdale Road and the
surrounding roads to the south of the bridge. But, it miraculously
condensed on neighbouring bridges, with Putney seeing most of the
increases, although Chiswick and Kew were affected.

While it was a great boost to the quality of life to many in the area to
the south of the Bridge, closing Hammersmith Bridge was not a
"victimless crime".

Tolling the bridges, though - that's not an idea much mentioned. Given
the voracious traffic wardens in Wandsworth, especially, tolling the
bridges would bring in a whole wedge of new revenue.

Conor October 3rd 05 02:27 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

In article , Huge says...

Jesus Christ but you're dumb. How do people as dumb as you achieve
adiulthood?

Perhaps you could enlighten us from your own personal experience?

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 02:29 PM

Huge wrote:

I didn't get a car until I was 40. I managed fine until then.

So that makes it OK for you to tell other people how they should live
their lives?

If you'll kindly tell me where I gave *anyone* any instructions on how
to live their lives, then I'll recant.

Has it occured to you that other people are not your property?

Has it occurred to you that it is possible to post to a newsgroup
without being insolent?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767225.html
(APT 370 004 at Crewe in 1979 - when even snazzy liveries were simple)

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 02:30 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

Huge wrote:

I look forward to hearing that you've died of typhoid

What a strange ambition to have.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p11654414.html
(Over-powered? 143 566 on push-pull duty at Birkenwirder, Berlin, 1999)

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 02:34 PM

Huge wrote:

How do people as dumb as you achieve adiulthood?

If you tell me what adiulthood is, I might be able to help you.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9925977.html
(319 381 descending the 1 in 27 leaving London Blackfriars in 2004)

chris harrison October 3rd 05 02:36 PM

Huge wrote:
Chris Tolley writes:

Paul Weaver wrote:

forced to risk a dangerous night bus

That's nonsense, and you know it. Night buses may be less than ideal,
but they are not per se dangerous. We don't live in a US movie dystopia.

You are starting with the unproven assumption that transport is
necessary at all. People do not generally *have to* live so far from
their place of employment. The main reason that there is transport
congestion is that there are too many people on the move. They may have
all sorts of reasons for choosing to live and work where they do, but in
our society, that's exactly what it is in the vast majority of cases, a
choice.

Jesus Christ but you're dumb. How do people as dumb as you achieve
adiulthood?

A Person chooses to live in place A but to live in place B. Very few of
us are obligated in where we work and where we live so very few of us
have no choice in planning our daily travel. While the example of nurses
at the Chelsea and Westminster is slightly extreme in that there is very
little affordable housing within walking distance of that bit of the
Fulham Road - it is disingenuous to say that there is none.

If you can choose, you have different options. Commuting is a lifestyle
choice, same as what make your TV is, which supermarket you buy your
groceries from and which newspaper you buy in the morning. People choose
to live some distance from their work, it is not thrust upon them by
some dictat from the government.

If a nurse decides that they cannot safely or economically work at a
hospital in the congestion charging zone, I'm sure that they'll be able
to find work in countless other hospitals around the country. If that
hospital suffers longer term trouble because of it, I'm sure we can rely
on the press to highlight the causes. Meantime there are several night
buses that go directly outside the Chelsea and Westminster hospital to
cheaper parts of town (where more normal people live) - and in barely
less time than it would take to drive and certainly cheaper.

Ian F. October 3rd 05 02:40 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

"Huge" wrote in message

How many times did you have to hit yourself over the head in order to
become this stupid? Perhaps you *really* want to go back to a world
without electricity, refrigeration, immunisation, mains drainage, etc.,
etc., etc, and ... personal transportation.

There is very little need to run a car on a regular basis if you live within
a few miles of central London - "The roads of Britain are clogged with
small, peroxided women in sunglasses, driving children a quarter of a mile
to school in vehicles designed to cross the Sahara." (Iain Murray)

Ian

Ian Jelf October 3rd 05 03:07 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

In message , Laurence Payne
writes
wrote:

I didn't get a car until I was 40. I managed fine until then. I wouldn't
have a car now if it were not for that fact I had been told that my
employment would require it.

So does it require it, or doesn't it? If you were misinformed,
rejoice and sell it.

Not quite the same thing I know but two jobs I've had over the years
both specifically required the successful candidate to have a driving
*licence*. not once in either job was I required to drive.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 04:29 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:07:43 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Not quite the same thing I know but two jobs I've had over the years
both specifically required the successful candidate to have a driving
*licence*. not once in either job was I required to drive.
--

Why quote-marks around "licence"?

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 04:29 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:34:40 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

How do people as dumb as you achieve adiulthood?

If you tell me what adiulthood is, I might be able to help you.

Chris spotted a typo! Chris spotted a typo! Chris spotted...

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 04:29 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:17:51 GMT, "Ian"
wrote:

I wonder why so many people are travelling to work at all. I heard on the TV
last week that 1 in 9 people work from home now broadband is widely
available, although many people in non computer jobs have been working from
home for years. Yet the trains are over crowded in the morning going into
London. Traffic congestion seems to get worse everywhere. Where are all of
these people going?

Are we wrongly connecting "1 in 9 work from home" with "now bb is
widely available"? I doubt that 10% of employed workers work from
home. I'd believe that a lot of people lose their jobs and have a go
at self-employment.

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 04:30 PM

On 3 Oct 2005 13:52:52 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Perhaps you *really* want to go back to a world
without electricity, refrigeration, immunisation, mains drainage, etc.,
etc., etc, and ... personal transportation.

Don't forget to expand that "etc. etc." to include all the negative
attributes of modern society. Some come with the package. Do they
ALL have to?

Richard J. October 3rd 05 04:32 PM

wrote:

Not quite the same thing I know but two jobs I've had over the
years both specifically required the successful candidate to have
a driving *licence*. not once in either job was I required to
drive. --

Why quote-marks around "licence"?

They were asterisks indicating emphasis, not quote-marks. Does Forte
Agent misinterpret them?
--
Richard J.

Chris Tolley October 3rd 05 05:19 PM

wrote:

How do people as dumb as you achieve adiulthood?

If you tell me what adiulthood is, I might be able to help you.

Chris spotted a typo! Chris spotted a typo! Chris spotted...

Among other things.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9680311.html
(82 002 between duties at Coventry in 1977)

JNugent October 3rd 05 05:44 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

"Chris Tolley" wrote...

Paul Weaver wrote:

forced to risk a dangerous night bus

That's nonsense, and you know it. Night buses may be less than ideal,
but they are not per se dangerous. We don't live in a US movie dystopia.

You are starting with the unproven assumption that transport is
necessary at all. People do not generally *have to* live so far from
their place of employment.

You are so right.

If only all the £25K - £30K functionaries of central government and the
London local authorities would shake off this morbid desire they all have to
live in the shadow of Dagenham gasworks or Greenford "leisure" centre and
just buy flats in the West End, the City and Kensington, eh?

The main reason that there is transport
congestion is that there are too many people on the move. They may have
all sorts of reasons for choosing to live and work where they do, but in
our society, that's exactly what it is in the vast majority of cases, a
choice. (AIH, in my case, there isn't a choice. my house, is supplied by
my employer, and is next to the building where I do a lot of my work.)

And those who are not in such a fortunate position - what sort of cake do
you suggest they should be let eat?

Brimstone October 3rd 05 05:55 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

"JNugent" wrote in message
"Chris Tolley" wrote...

Paul Weaver wrote:

[...]

Do you really consider it fortunate that when leaving your job you also have
no option but to find somewhere else to live?

JNugent October 3rd 05 06:02 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

"Brimstone" wrote...

"JNugent" wrote:
"Chris Tolley" wrote...

[ ... ]

[...]

It all rather depends on the terms offered.

It happens to more people than you might think - including my family when I
was a boy. Many such workers nowadays buy a property of their own which they
let out, in order to have a bolt-hole if they need it (modern
landlord-tenant law quite properly allows for a tenancy to be determined
within six months if the property is needed as a home for the owner).

Ian Jelf October 3rd 05 06:18 PM

wrote:

Not quite the same thing I know but two jobs I've had over the years
both specifically required the successful candidate to have a driving
*licence*. not once in either job was I required to drive.
--

Why quote-marks around "licence"?

Because I was making the point that they only wanted a qualified driver,
not necessarily someone with a car.

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 07:30 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:32:04 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Why quote-marks around "licence"?

They were asterisks indicating emphasis, not quote-marks. Does Forte
Agent misinterpret them?
--

So they were. On this screen they're very similar. Sorry.

Colin McKenzie October 3rd 05 10:29 PM

JNugent wrote:
"Colum Mylod" wrote in message
The smart way to reduce congestion (not that this expansion has it, 5%
of the area at most has congestion) is to close off zones and reduce
flow. Classic example Hammersmith bridge. Close it and traffic
"evaporates".

Er... not quite.

I remember a miserable afternoon spent trying to get from Barnes to Hanwell.
It should have been a doddle using Hammersmith Bridge, but it was then
closed for repairs (is it still closed, or closed again?). ... The traffic
certainly does not "evaporate", even if the residents of the

approach roads
(some of whom seem very self-centred over this issue) think it

does. It
simply goes elsewhere (because it has to).

No. Of course some goes elsewhere, but some evaporates too. People
choose not to travel or not to drive. The stats show it. The effect
increases over time as people move house or change jobs.

Similarly most of the traffic that now occupies the M25 didn't exist
before the motorway was built.

Colin McKenzie

Laurence Payne October 3rd 05 11:58 PM

London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

On 3 Oct 2005 21:15:50 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

See my sig. Think about what it means.

--
"Other people are not your property."

That, as long as a rich society has enabled you to accumulate enough
loot to feel "self-sufficient", you can then pretend to be independent
from it?

Chris Tolley October 4th 05 01:04 AM

JNugent wrote:

And those who are not in such a fortunate position - what sort of cake do
you suggest they should be let eat?

ITYF it's brioche; cake is a mistranslation.

If you are going to make a point, I think it might be best to make it
without resorting to sarcasm. I'm happy to debate anything I said, and
correct it if necessary, but you'll need to make a case.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9680391.html
(Hauling cakes? 92 034 Kipling heads south through Longsight in 2004.)