Old October 7th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Fares

Neil Williams wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:10:01 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

New York subways also have a mag-stripe card which you can load with
money for several journeys. One disadvantage for the infrequent
traveller (and tourist) is that the credit expires after a year.

ISTR that a Dutch Strippenkaart expires after two fare increases (or
something similar).

The Dutch Strippenkaart system makes Oyster seem easy!

Never could work them out. 1 strip or 2? How long does it last for,
where's the cheapest place to buy them etc.

--
Paul

Old October 7th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:18:50
on Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Paul remarked:
The Dutch Strippenkaart system makes Oyster seem easy!

Never could work them out. 1 strip or 2? How long does it last for,
where's the cheapest place to buy them etc.

I was advised I needed two for a tram journey of about half a mile. So
perhaps that's the minimum. I walked. Like you, I have a blind spot when
it comes to knowing where to buy them.
Old October 7th 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:13:28 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Incidentally, I don't find the idea of ripping off tourists and
non-Londoners (which has been mentioned as a target) remotely
acceptable.

Tourists from abroad get offered all sorts of attractive travelcard
options that we never hear about.
Old October 7th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:25:11 +0100, "TKD" wrote:

And finally the people in London but on National Rail routes who claim
to be excluded. What rubbish - are you telling me you never use the bus?
Get an Oyster card and you can start saving when you do. You don't even
pay tube level fares when you do use the train. Point to point fares are
often much less than zonal fares. Those routes that are charged at LUL
rates are the same routes that went over to Oyster prepay in the first place
anyway. And why focus your anger at TfL or Ken like the Evening Standard
or the Daily Mail instructed you to? Lobby the train companies!!

Indeed. I am served by NR and by Underground. But the Underground
is a 15 minute walk away, the NR station is served by a 'bus.
Returning late in the evening I am reluctant to take the walk, through
a somewhat unsafe area. So I cannot use Oyster as a one-day card, I
must buy a paper ticket.

Old October 7th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

[1] I fail to see how anyone can consider, in itself, gbp3 as a
reasonable fare for a short-distance Tube single.

I don't think that a cash fare of GBP3 is intended to be seen as
reasonable. It is set at that level to encourage people to use
alternative methods of payment.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old October 7th 05, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:48:52 +0100, asdf
wrote:

I have a friend who won't get an Oyster card because
she doesn't want "them" to know where she's been
and what she's been doing. Not even an
unregistered pre-pay card...

Presumably she's on benefit and working,

What a ridiculous statement.

No. That would be a logical reason. Sort of. Otherwise it's just
sheer paranoia (or bloody-mindedness).
Old October 7th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:14:10 +0100, James Farrar
wrote:

And the price of 12 single journeys using PrePay is twelve times the
price of one.

Unless a number of them are on the same day.