Old October 17th 05, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Fares

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:04:29 +0100, Laurence Payne
wrote:

There is a data protection issue here, isn't there. The collection of
name and address is for different purposes (e.g. returning a lost Oyster
to you, mailshots) from the collection of data about journeys made
(making better service provision). It might be illegal to bring the two
together. If you are really worried, I suggest you ask them explicitly.

You can be tracked all over the place by several means. Mobile
'phone, security cameras plus face recognition, credit card use ..
doubtless more I haven't thought of and more to come in the future.

Indeed, and this is to be resisted wherever possible. You have not
convinced me why I should volunteer to report my every movement to the
GLA.

Old October 17th 05, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul
writes
Yes, that sounds familiar. The problem I had is that you need local
knowledge about zones etc.

I seem to recall that every bus/tram stop had a map showing at least the
nearby zone boundaries, and the trams had strip maps showing them as
well.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old October 17th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:20:08 +0100, asdf
wrote:

You can be tracked all over the place by several means. Mobile
'phone, security cameras plus face recognition, credit card use ..
doubtless more I haven't thought of and more to come in the future.

Indeed, and this is to be resisted wherever possible. You have not
convinced me why I should volunteer to report my every movement to the
GLA

And I never will :-)

You will forgo certain advantages because you feel a degree of
perceived privacy is more important. Others now have ample
information on the issues and will make their own decisions. Mission
accomplished.
Old October 17th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

Indeed, and this is to be resisted wherever possible. You have not
convinced me why I should volunteer to report my every movement to the
GLA.

You haven't convinced me that's what's happening. All they know is where
the Oyster is going. If you are so worried about your movements being
recorded, get several, and periodically swap them with other people.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683618.html
(Class 100 dmu car 51127 and 309 612 at Colchester in 1980)
Old October 17th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Laurence Payne wrote:

You can be tracked all over the place by several means. Mobile
'phone,

It always amuses me when on a programme like Spooks people chuck their
phones away to avoid being tracked. Why don't they just turn them off?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767103.html
(302 990, in parcels livery, stands at London Liverpool Street in 1989)

Old October 17th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:11:19 on
Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Chris Tolley remarked:
It always amuses me when on a programme like Spooks people chuck their
phones away to avoid being tracked. Why don't they just turn them off?

I suspect this is because the phone isn't registered to them, and so
they are trying to prevent the police getting a log of where they have
been in the past, having found said mobile in their possession.