Old October 8th 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Alcohol

Hello,

Is it permitted to drink alcohol on London Buses and London Underground
stations and trains?

ta,
Ind.

Old October 8th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Industrial wrote:
Hello,

Is it permitted to drink alcohol on London Buses and London Underground
stations and trains?

Not if you're working on/at them..
--
Kat

Old October 8th 05, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 18:12:39 +0100, Industrial
wrote:

Hello,

Is it permitted to drink alcohol on London Buses and London Underground
stations and trains?

Yes, if you are a passenger, but I wouldn't particularly advise that you
do so. Employees or any contractor working on the TfL system must not
drink or be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

If you end up drunk or a bit ****ed then you are at more risk of falling
over, tripping, falling down stairs or an escalator. There are far too
many accidents, particularly on the tube, that are directly attributable
to alcohol.

--
Paul C

Old October 8th 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Yes, if you are a passenger, but I wouldn't particularly advise that you
do so.

Oh? I thought the LU bylaws technically disallowed open containers of
alcohol on LU property - I remember reading about it in a thread in
this group.

Old October 8th 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Industrial wrote:
Is it permitted to drink alcohol on London Buses and London Underground
stations and trains?

On the tube, the byelaws say:

4: Intoxication and possession of intoxicating liquor

(1) No person in a state of intoxication shall enter or remain on
the railway.

(2) Where reasonable notice is, or has been given prohibiting
intoxicating liquor on any train service, no person shall have any
intoxicating liquor with him on it, or attempt to enter such train
with intoxicating liquor with him.

(3) Where an authorised person reasonably believes that any person
is in a state of intoxication or has with him intoxicating liquor
contrary to this Byelaw, the authorised person may:
(i) require him to leave the railway; and
(ii) prevent him entering or remaining on the railway until the
authorised person is satisfied that he has no intoxicating liquor
with him.

(You can read the rest http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/bylaws.asp)

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Old October 9th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mike Bristow
writes

(2) Where reasonable notice is, or has been given prohibiting
intoxicating liquor on any train service, no person shall have any
intoxicating liquor with him on it, or attempt to enter such train
with intoxicating liquor with him.

Yeah but, how about taking a bottle to a party, or the bottle
of wine in your Sainsburys bag of shopping?

I would imagine the majority of the travelling public carry
alcohol on the tube at some time or other.

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old October 9th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Oct 2005 11:10:50 -0700, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Yes, if you are a passenger, but I wouldn't particularly advise that you
do so.

Oh? I thought the LU bylaws technically disallowed open containers of
alcohol on LU property - I remember reading about it in a thread in
this group.

I stand corrected then. Having looked at the LU site this would appear
to be the appropriate link

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/bylaws.asp

What is a more interesting point is the extent of enforcement because
the implication is that no one who is intoxicated may use LU. If that
was enforced we would hardly have anyone travelling on the last trains
each evening.

--
Paul C

Old October 9th 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Yes, if you are a passenger, but I wouldn't particularly advise that you
do so.

Oh? I thought the LU bylaws technically disallowed open containers of
alcohol on LU property - I remember reading about it in a thread in
this group.

I stand corrected then. Having looked at the LU site this would appear
to be the appropriate link

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/bylaws.asp

What is a more interesting point is the extent of enforcement because
the implication is that no one who is intoxicated may use LU. If that
was enforced we would hardly have anyone travelling on the last trains
each evening.

We've had at least one Station Assistant state in this group that the
standard used to enforce this particular bylaw is "if you're sober
enough to work the ticket gate, you're sober enough to travel".

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old October 9th 05, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Yes, if you are a passenger, but I wouldn't particularly advise that
you do so.

Oh? I thought the LU bylaws technically disallowed open containers of
alcohol on LU property - I remember reading about it in a thread in
this group.

I stand corrected then. Having looked at the LU site this would appear
to be the appropriate link

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/bylaws.asp

What is a more interesting point is the extent of enforcement because
the implication is that no one who is intoxicated may use LU. If that
was enforced we would hardly have anyone travelling on the last trains
each evening.

Presumably for the purposes of the byelaw "intoxicated" must mean pretty
close to drunk and disorderly.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 9th 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

What is a more interesting point is the extent of enforcement because
the implication is that no one who is intoxicated may use LU. If that
was enforced we would hardly have anyone travelling on the last trains
each evening.

Most pubs would be pretty quiet at last orders too!